Sorry Wildcard, Genesis map is a big failure.

Qeythos

The map itself is too restrictive compared to other maps. Not being able to ride a dino between the biomes like previous maps is a fail. Trying to use HLN-A can be a nightmare as it tends to just zip away most of the time you attempt to interact wih it. Not being able to use flying mounts on an open map is a fail unless it is a bug or locked behind progression. It just doesn't make sense other then function as a brake on the rate at which people can obtain resources. The only thing working on the tek suit is the helmet's vision modes and air, but nothing else? A big, fat, fail. Imposing restrictions rather then building the map to take already existing methods into account is always going to be a fail, regardless of game. This has already been proven plenty of times in the past, just google it, no need to repost it all here. You'd need a library for that much information, not a thread in a forum.

I started a new character in the bog biome and by the time the initial white screen went away and i could see the enviorment my character was pretty much dead, at around 10% health from deadly gas and the infernal insect swarms that are literally everywhere you go. They need to be toned down. You kill one swarm and 3 will take its place in seconds. It also rains 99% of the time and the fog's so thick you can barely see a thing. A real bog doesn't have near-constant rain. All the effects are causing a lot of lag on a standard PS4 without a solid state drive. Of course i could install a solid state drive but if the game won't work smoothly on the hardware that the console came with then it just simply wasn't designed right and needs to be tweaked, end of story. While mounted the game pauses between 2 - 5 seconds every 50 or so feet traveled. Hopefully this will get optimized over time.

So far i have checked out the bog, snow, and ocean biomes and the only place i would even think of building is on the back of a Megachelon and i doubt i'll find much of anything in the volcanic or lunar biomes where i would want to build. Base building is a big part of this game after all yet Genesis clearly wasn't designed with that in mind but instead made to fit only a portion of the playerbase of the game, mostly people who prefer to play PvP but i'm tired of constantly running into people who can't PvP without using glitches, and then calling you trash, in pretty much any game, not just ARK, so i don't play PvP anymore unless it's with friends who i know will play legit. For PvE this map is lacking, a lot. Sure, there are missions to do but i haven't tried any of them yet so can't comment on them. What i have read from other peoples comments on them i don't even know if i want to.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Owataday said:

I believe it might be fun to jump in and out of Genesis. Base up somewhere else and go in with friends to mess about. €35 is a lot of cash for this. I was expecting a lot more for that price. Can we now expect better service since you ask for inflated prices Wildcard.

The price is so high because it's a season pass including 2 maps in total, Genesis and a future one scheduled for the end of the year (Winter 2020).

Completely disagree. I've only been in the bog so far except for a quick spawn and peek around the other biomes and I absolutely love it EXCEPT for the insect swarms, those are broken as hell.

True, it is definitely not an "easy" zone but the aesthetic of the bog is beautiful. It might be the best looking swamp I've ever seen in a game.

Briefly went down into the ocean and wow once again it is beautiful. So much more detailed than the ocean in any other map. Cant wait to explore it more.

It's day 2, everything is brand new and therefore harder. Give the map some time before you just throw your hands up and declare it a fail. Jesus people are so quick to quit something when it's not easy as pie.

2 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Completely disagree. I've only been in the bog so far except for a quick spawn and peek around the other biomes and I absolutely love it EXCEPT for the insect swarms, those are broken as hell.

True, it is definitely not an "easy" zone but the aesthetic of the bog is beautiful. It might be the best looking swamp I've ever seen in a game.

Briefly went down into the ocean and wow once again it is beautiful. So much more detailed than the ocean in any other map. Cant wait to explore it more.

It's day 2, everything is brand new and therefore harder. Give the map some time before you just throw your hands up and declare it a fail. Jesus people are so quick to quit something when it's not easy as pie.

Dude it is not the fact that easy means "hard as raptor" in genesis language. It is the facts that make genesis poop:

No flying

Insect swarms 24/7

Forced to quick travel than by your own

Almost NO Place to build

Giant Turtle is a dwarf 

And so on, and so on. I Think we are Ark gamers and therefore can Deal with difficulty. In the case of Genesis it is way more why ALMOST EVERYONE says that this is complete garbage.

Being only visually stunning doesnt make the content great. 

We really love it! My fiancee and I streamed for 3 hours yesterday, and we did nothing (in terms of progression). We were dying multiple times. And it's really great! It's survival. People are too spoiled with maps such as Ragnarok, where map poops with resources of all kind and you don't need to worry about anything.
One thing I don't understand is flyers. I mean, ok, you cannot fly, I understand that but why developers put flyers on the map in the first place? Someone can be disappointed when he/she use precious resources to tame flyer and realise that you cannot fly on it.

It's a simulation, it was said it will be hard, so ppl should stop complaining and being fragile. Those separate biomes make senses, it ain't that small when you have to walk and not fly. And for now, there ain't answer about "why there is flyer and we can't ride them?". It is day 2, com'on. Extinction we got a bunch of issues, worse than now so far.

Yeah you can complain because there are bugs, but you can't complain after 24h when you didn't try to understand new mechanics and how to survive. You were used to play this game on one way, now they are changing your habit, you're just pissed, but ppl like this type of challenge.

Ppl are complaining a lot and saying "i'm going back to Ragnarök". Let me tell you, ppl on Ragnarök, yall are lazy guys, it is a custom map, it ain't in the story line, you are on Ragna because you like easy life in Ark, your bad. 

• Volunteer Moderator

The Devs have said for months that Genesis will be very different from what we were used to with Ark, so experiencing something very different from the other DLCs should have been expected.

The small build areas is likely due to the fact this DLC is meant to be considered as a simulation, each biome is a simulation. A simulation would suggest that it is not the place for a proper permanent base build. Also as there are missions to be completed you can't have huge boring metal boxes blocking the way.

People complain about lack of build space whilst not fully understanding what Genesis is.

The no flyers I can understand similar to Aberration. But I can also understand why people are not happy about it as there was no communication regarding the fact you can't fly, even though flying wild dinos can be tamed but not used, that was a mistake in my opinion.

But overall, I think it is way too early to say that Genesis was a fail, because most people's opinions are based on them not understanding what Genesis was meant to be in the first place.

6 minutes ago, GP said:

The Devs have said for months that Genesis will be very different from what we were used to with Ark, so experiencing something very different from the other DLCs should have been expected.

The small build areas is likely due to the fact this DLC is meant to be considered as a simulation, each biome is a simulation. A simulation would suggest that it is not the place for a proper permanent base build. Also as there are missions to be completed you can't have huge boring metal boxes blocking the way.

People complain about lack of build space whilst not fully understanding what Genesis is.

The no flyers I can understand similar to Aberration. But I can also understand why people are not happy about it as there was no communication regarding the fact you can't fly, even though flying wild dinos can be tamed but not used, that was a mistake in my opinion.

But overall, I think it is way too early to say that Genesis was a fail, because most people's opinions are based on them not understanding what Genesis was meant to be in the first place.

Get out of my mind mate, you are reading my thoughts!

8 minutes ago, GP said:

Tell that to the tribes that are used to have mega bases, they gona (and they already did) claim as much space as they can no matter it is a simulation. Im already seeing on my official every hour there is ppl complaining because they dont find any spot to build because of missions and pillaring.

26 minutes ago, GP said:

Here is my problem with that. If it's meant to be something you don't live at, why make it a map? Why not just expand extinction and have it be like a portal you go through or something. Why bother doing it as it's own map at all?

Also, if you don't want "boring metal boxes" blocking missions, why don't you make them like you make boss fights? Teleport you to a zone to do the mission. Hell even do a recreation of the area you are in, just only be the mission zone. There are a bunch of better ways to go about it than what they did.

Here is the key thing, restricting people, for any reason, is ALWAYS going to be met with negativity. Always. I know some people like to argue flying makes the game "too easy", well to those people i say, then YOU don't have to fly.

Fact is there needed to be communication, any communication, about things in this map. They kept things really tight lipped on details and it has so far been having the opposite effect. Not as many people have been excited about the surprises. So far it's been nothing but complaints about not flying, spawn rate of bugs, teleporting "which btw has like a 50% chance to crash you on ps4 from what i've seen on my server of about 30 people", almost no base locations "and the good ones tend to be in areas you either need to climb or FLY to reach", and the fact there are so many game breaking bugs in it despite them taking an extra two months to iron that poop out. Like i don't expect it to be bug free, but i DO expect not to have a bug that reduces everyones tranq dmg to primitive. THAT should have been caught right away, let alone two extra months later.

I DO like the map for the most part, but there are so many negatives to it that it makes it REALLY hard to enjoy myself at times. Especially not being able to tame anything high lvl due to the huge amount of tranqs i'd need with the bug right now, and the having to pray i don't crash on this teleport to get some stuff. I wouldn't go so far as to say the map is a failure, but it's absolutely them dropping the ball on it.

1 hour ago, BigFatBoy said:

People are too spoiled with maps such as Ragnarok, where map poops with resources of all kind and you don't need to worry about anythin

Agree.. IMHO Genesis is not as hard as ppl complain. I think more hard would be acceptable too. Survival is survival.
I have bog thatch mini base. I am harvesting trees with metal hatchet. Made oceanic outpost using raft. Not bad for a one day solo game at official server.

31 minutes ago, GP said:

Are you surprised that people complain about it? I wrote many times about the fact that there is not enough information about Genesis - that we want to know a little more about the world of Genesis, its maps etc.. that we didnt get full devs stream .. And I usually got facepalm emote for my complains. How can people to be happy if Genesis gamepedia at launch was completed in ... 15%? My guess is that we now have a Genesis simulation, and in part 2 - some task on the full Genesis map - Earth itself?

But we still don't know background history ... This is not our fault, it is a Wildcard mistake.

42 minutes ago, GP said:

We didn't got an official statement about  what simulate this simulation.

Is it GTA simulation with manta instead of car, or maybe airplane flying simulation with blood sucker or is economy simulation with hexagons?

Whatever but is far from survival  as we know.

For me only place that do not have claustrophobic additions, fog, bad visibility and have clear sunshine sky is ocean biome but even there  most mission need to be done deep in darkness of sea.

2 hours ago, Eviga said:

Dude it is not the fact that easy means "hard as raptor" in genesis language. It is the facts that make genesis poop:

No flying

Insect swarms 24/7

Forced to quick travel than by your own

Almost NO Place to build

Giant Turtle is a dwarf 

And so on, and so on. I Think we are Ark gamers and therefore can Deal with difficulty. In the case of Genesis it is way more why ALMOST EVERYONE says that this is complete garbage.

Being only visually stunning doesnt make the content great. 

Eviga has it right. These are the reasons the map is a failure. The restrictions imposed to force us to rely mostly on the items/creatures Genesis provides and not being able to use a lot of the tames and items from previous maps. Not the difficulty, that's expected although being at around 10% health by the time you can take your first step is simply too much. You should at the very least have a chance to survive the initial spawn.

Biggest complaint is the teleporting. I’m stuck in ocean zone, only because every time I teleport I’m dead before the load screen is done. Then respawn on other side of map and can never make it to body because again dead before I can even move. Ocean zone is only one that you aren’t attacked the moment you spawn in. The insect swarm is easily handled, they dint attack if your standing in water and will move off after a few seconds. 

Excellent post Qeythos. Have had to give up on Genesis after 2 hours total playing fed up dying, fed up with the swarms, fed up with the blue screens!!!

I’m not a champion gamer more of a trier but love Ark and was looking forward to seeing and trying Genesis but it is just too difficult for the likes of me!!!

Archived