This is not Ark we used to love. All hope in modded maps

slejo

The first look at gameplay posted by streamers gives us a strange picture of ARK that we didn't know before. There is no sandbox open map with combination of biomes - one large map we used to love. Im disappointed with small ocean area. I thought it will be wast, huge ocean.. and they gave us pool!

Everything looks beautiful, epic, fancy and polished!

But....

This is not our beloved Ark. My hope is in the creators of modded maps such as Ragnarok or Valguero, who will use the beauty of the design of Genesis biomes, and will create a normal map of the size of Ragnarok and the world we are used to.

EDIT: we means me, my kids playing ark, my ark friends. But im sure some can have different opinion

Agree with all of you. 

This is just horrible, annoying and disapponting what they have created. 

All hopes for Part 2 are now Zero, for me, and to be honest I would not even want a Part 2 after I saw Part 1.

I am giving this a second Chance later since it Cost me 34 Euros but....yeah....this is really not ARK.

Sad but true. Lets go on Ragnarok!

3 hours ago, Nonames64 said:

Trash map

The map itself isn't trash, the bs that they thought would be a good idea like teleporting between biomes, missions, in game currency, no build zones etc is trash

Hopefully they get the dev kit updated soon and somebody will be able to make a proper Ark map from the extra assets

5 minutes ago, GoHeat1988 said:

So, out of curiosity, is there no Sandbox mode for Host/Solo play for Genesis? Is it strictly a 'mission-based' map?

You can build in some areas, so you can try to level up here if you want, but it leads to a frustrating experience. The map is clearly intended to be played as a temporary place where you teleport in, bring up your gear (from the same mission terminals), play a few missions, and then go back to a real map with your wins.

It's not really worth it since the mission themselves are lacking and the in-app store offers just raw materials you don't need, or a few tries at one of the gacha lootboxes. The obvious goal of this expansion is to introduce a virtual coin to the game, complete with a store and lootboxes, in preparation for the obligatory microtransactions.

11 minutes ago, Darakull said:

You can build in some areas, so you can try to level up here if you want, but it leads to a frustrating experience. The map is clearly intended to be played as a temporary place where you teleport in, bring up your gear (from the same mission terminals), play a few missions, and then go back to a real map with your wins.

It's not really worth it since the mission themselves are lacking and the in-app store offers just raw materials you don't need, or a few tries at one of the gacha lootboxes. The obvious goal of this expansion is to introduce a virtual coin to the game, complete with a store and lootboxes, in preparation for the obligatory microtransactions.

This is some serious tinfoil hatting with the scary future of micro-transactions in Ark.

Also, none of the grips in this thread are news.  They said there were going to be missions to earn rewards in game from the very beginning.  Being able to build on top of missions spots such as the ice fishing holes would make it unusable.  It's common sense.  

It's not one big map - so?  We instead got 5 smaller maps that are really well done.  How did you think the were going to incorporate the Lunar map?

4 minutes ago, Neffinay said:

This is some serious tinfoil hatting with the scary future of micro-transactions in Ark.

Also, none of the grips in this thread are news.  They said there were going to be missions to earn rewards in game from the very beginning.  Being able to build on top of missions spots such as the ice fishing holes would make it unusable.  It's common sense.  

It's not one big map - so?  We instead got 5 smaller maps that are really well done.  How did you think the were going to incorporate the Lunar map?

It looks pretty obvious to me. You have a store, you have loot boxes for sale, and you have virtual currency in Genesis, right now, from the moment you spawn in the new map. You can obviously implement mission rewards without any of those elements, yet here they are. Am I 100% sure we'll have microtransactions? No. But I wouldn't be surprised either way.

The other things you say, quite frankly, look like attempts to defend the indefensible. If your map is mostly composed of mission areas were you can't build, you need to provide either a separate map, or a really big area outside mission zones. And, of course, you'll place your spawn points away from those areas.

I expected mission areas either to be instantiated or confined to some obviously defined area. The ability to build things is paramount to Ark (or the survival game formula in general). And the lunar map could have been a full map with multiple related biomes (as part of the Genesis 2 release, for example).

The point is, tiny maps where you can't build do not provide a good experience in Ark.

28 minutes ago, Neffinay said:

Heyo, may i remind you that Genesis is set in simulation? A virtual world. Nothing is real and only imagination is your limit.

To connect Lunar Biome with Snow Biome for example, they could simply add a fractured parts of the terrain between them ( like rocks, flying chunks of terrain etc ) that slowly transition to specific biomes ( you can even see Glitch'es that are fixable in the game )

You could even connect Lunar Biome with a Ocean biome, water would just simply fall into the infinity space void or something like that.

I would love Genesis map parts to be connected in some natural ( technicaly ) but crazy way so you could traverse it by a foot , using various engrams ( hello zipliners/grapplings/tek bridges ) or mobile dinos. But it feels like new maps are more condensed, more detailed and not stretched like Ragnarok with vast lands of emptyness. Its nice, but also most likely engine limitations? Consoles perhaps?

I do hate the fact you can't build , and biomes like ocean are very very small. This expansion feels more like Narrative with PvE focus, and ARK community always wanted more dinos, bigger and combined maps . . . and ocean themed map . . .

Though new engrams and dinos are very nice addition and worth even for them.

2 hours ago, Neffinay said:

Wildcard can smell the potential of micro transaction. Give them any evidence that we as customers are ok with that in a game that has hard grind mechanics. Is a recipe for disaster in my point of view. We have seen for the last decade that there is more money in the industry but fewer and fewer good AAA games. I hate loot boxes and most micro transaction in games because I know deep down the game is trying to push me to the store. It’s not tinfoil ? it’s corporate greed manual guide.

2 hours ago, Neffinay said:

Personally.. I have nothing against microtransactions until they affect the advantage in the game and have use in cosmetics.Just like Fortnite.
Thanks to microtransactions, the developer is invested, and there is no worse vision than underinvested franchise. For both movies and games.

38 minutes ago, Owataday said:

Wildcard can smell the potential of micro transaction. Give them any evidence that we as customers are ok with that in a game that has hard grind mechanics. Is a recipe for disaster in my point of view. We have seen for the last decade that there is more money in the industry but fewer and fewer good AAA games. I hate loot boxes and most micro transaction in games because I know deep down the game is trying to push me to the store. It’s not tinfoil ? it’s corporate greed manual guide.

I would say the whole map is just a glorified test room for missions and microtransaction mechanics.

Each biome is just a rectangle. Swamp is flat and very harsh for easy zone. Ocean is much easier in comparison, at least early game. But there is not much to do there. It's like a wet version of SE.

Race missions are hard for all the wrong reasons - boosters push you too fast and game starts to lag more than usual, making you skip/phaze through checkpoints without activating it. 

After playing for few hours all I feel is frustration, disappointment and a bit of anxiety when I think about inevitable microtransaction mayhem.

I dont personally see me playing dodo basketball  anymore after I've tried it once.  I see how the map has mixed feelings though.

Its something for the roleplay community the way I see it. Bog and ocean are so easy, never even died. The map isn't hard at all tbh. 

For me I feel betrayed a bit. I was playing ark waiting for DLC to drop (Just like I do in Battlefield) like we always do and when it did I got Mary Poppins goes to the park book.

Love all the new features, dinos , building parts. I already miss helena  when I went and played the older maps.

End of day I'm fine with the update , hate the map but understand other communities may have been wanting these games in Ark.

Not for me. Also the store made it so easy. Yes I can choose not to use it but the temptation gets me everytime and found there was zero struggle when starting fresh. Even gave my 2 tames away as I logged out cause I new I'm not coming back.

Biomes are absolutely beautiful and developers did a stellar job. Hopefully second update is geared towards the original Ark and the one I fell in love with.

Archived