What to do about insect swarm?

killreaperUSMC

Insect swarms

Has anybody figured out how to deal with the insect swarms that constantly target you? I've basically just spent all my gameplay time standing in water waiting for wave after wave to die. Not fun.

Edit: Ok I found something that works every time. KillAOE wild 2000. ;) seriously though it appears that they don't have a hitbox in first person view but do in 3rd person view.  You cannot hit nor farm them in first but can in 3rd (good source of meat and hide btw). In 1st view you only need to be in ankle deep water or so to be ignored, 3rd requires water deep enough to swim. Tames deal with them pretty well but you have to be able to deal with them to get to where you can tame stuff. It seems like they come in waves and after you deal with a up to two dozen groups you get a break for a little while. So starting out use 1st person to hide in the water and heal, then switch to 3rd, dart out on land with a torch and kill for a bit until you need to heal/stam regen, then switch back to 1st and retreat to water. Rinse and repeate until the wave is clear and then set up your base, get set up to tame, clear another wave, tame a body guard dino or two, and you'll be set up pretty good to deal with them. Unfortunately it looks like this dlc was set up to be a giant kick in the balls for getting started with a new character.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know how to not be targeted by an insect swarm? My best guess is get in water, they seemed to leave me alone after I entered a small pool of water I found. I tried to attack them, but it didn't seem as though I was doing any damage to them. If you hit the extended info key, it looks like their info or hit box is on the ground.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:07 AM, killreaperUSMC said:

Insect swarms

Has anybody figured out how to deal with the insect swarms that constantly target you? I've basically just spent all my gameplay time standing in water waiting for wave after wave to die. Not fun.

All I can come up with is getting in water, it has to be deep enough for you to be able to go under (and not breathe). Otherwise, I killed a swarm with my Stego, but I couldn't seem to harvest the swarm.

Hmm...with me when they hit me the floating dmg number is zero but I do take health dmg and will die in about 30 seconds if standing still. Water keeps them at bay as long as its ankle deep or more, torch doesn't do anything. I cant do dmg to them with any weapon so far and as I always start a new character on maps I don't yet have any tames. They glitch right through my base walls and hit me so at best I get a minute or two to try to do chores/craft before I get chased back to water, makes creating weapons, narcs and tranqs tough. I will test bug repellent if I ever get farming up but I don't hold much hope.

Insect swarm is broken

A few min into the game and I get attacked by a insect swarm. It killed me the first few times, thats ok. But after finding out that fire does alot of damage, i killed off the first attack. Seconds later, another swarm comes in, killed it. A few seconds later another comes and killed it. Once you figure it out, they are easy to kill, but they are very annoying. I shouldn't spend 10-30 min killing these bugs over and over and over again. Rather this was intentional or not, this is way too much. I can't play the game at all without being attacked with these insect swarms every few seconds. Please make them less or remove them entirely. I don't understand how the Devs did not see this as a problem. Do the devs even play ark's patches before releasing it to the general public? It would take you five min to see how broken this is.

31 minutes ago, BearyLynn said:

Unconfirmed fully but my friend and I hid in our house and they swarmed it then the noise stopped. When we went out, they were all on the ground dead. Unsure if this is how it's meant to work but........it worked

Nope I built a fully enclosed stone 2x2 and they attacked and killed me right through the walls.

Love the look of the bog but the swarms are seriously making me want to move somewhere else. They're a constant nuisance. 

@Crymric I don't have an issue with getting rid of them or killing them. They keep coming back constantly without a break. I have to fight them for 30 min straight at one point and it was boring and didn't let me play the game. They have a high spawn rate. If you played genesis you'll see what I mean. Its dumb. Don't get me wrong, they are a great source for chitin when you get a frog. I'm not talking about 1 or 4 bugs. They are called a "insect swarm". You'll see it when you play it.

7 hours ago, GregoPeck said:

Anyone know how to not be targeted by an insect swarm? My best guess is get in water, they seemed to leave me alone after I entered a small pool of water I found. I tried to attack them, but it didn't seem as though I was doing any damage to them. If you hit the extended info key, it looks like their info or hit box is on the ground.

a torch i burned them too a crisp when they come at you .... killed them all lol

16 minutes ago, slayerofzombs87 said:

a torch i burned them too a crisp when they come at you .... killed them all lol

Ive killed them with a sword numerous times. Killing them isnt the problem, the problem is that theyre EVERYWHERE. I cant go 5 mins in the bog without running into one and usually theres like 5 back to back that I have to kill.

Just now, St1ckyBandit said:

Ive killed them with a sword numerous times. Killing them isnt the problem, the problem is that theyre EVERYWHERE. I cant go 5 mins in the bog without running into one and usually theres like 5 back to back that I have to kill.

yeah i know what you mean annoying being gang banged by them. the swarm amounts need toning down i think ... lol

Archived