What to do about insect swarm?

killreaperUSMC

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For myself, I started killing them with torches (keep 2 in your quick menu and stack resources for repair, so you can use one while the other one is repairing), but you have to be in 3th person for hitting them (glitch?). After some time, you'll get a break. Submerge in water for emergencies (aggro stop). Eat white berries for stamina, cause hitting them while exhaust deplete your life. Find a nice spot (bog) near a teleport point and teleport to beach for primal resources (so you don't have to move a lot in the bog) then come back to your spot. (There's a nice spot on higher grounds with tons of metal behind the West bog teleportation. Survive and build till you can tame a dino. I tamed 2 x-raptors and since then, Insect swarms are a joke, annoying but easy. Mount your dino (raptors work for me) and the swarm will stop aggro. Wait like 2 to 5 min and they will automatically die and your good for a break. Take this time for levelling up or managing inventories ;) Watch out, put your dinos on "passive" if you don't want to loose them while they are chasing something. But yeah, ride a dino and WAIT, don't attack :P Later, a frog could be useful too. Good luck. But don't worry had a hard time, but now I feel safe in the bog.

For myself, I started killing them with torches (keep 2 in your quick menu and stack resources for repair, so you can use one while the other one is repairing), but you have to be in 3th person for hitting them (glitch?). After some time, you'll get a break. Submerge in water for emergencies (aggro stop). Eat white berries for stamina, cause hitting them while exhaust deplete your life. Find a nice spot (bog) near a teleport point and teleport to beach for primal resources (so you don't have to move a lot in the bog) then come back to your spot. (There's a nice spot on higher grounds with tons of metal behind the West bog teleportation. Survive and build till you can tame a dino. I tamed 2 x-raptors and since then, Insect swarms are a joke, annoying but easy. Mount your dino (raptors work for me) and the swarm will stop aggro. Wait like 2 to 5 min and they will automatically die and your good for a break. Take this time for levelling up or managing inventories ;) Watch out, put your dinos on "passive" if you don't want to loose them while they are chasing something. But yeah, ride a dino and WAIT, don't attack :P Later, a frog could be useful too. Good luck. But don't worry had a hard time, but now I feel safe in the bog.

13 hours ago, UberFrequencies said:

I run SP so I just went an grabbed two bug zapper mods until they get fixed, only being able to fight in 3rd person, their extreme aggro range, their excessive spawning, and them targeting Gachas and Turret plant seedlings, and dinos even set to aggressive ignoring them is just too much. I'm trying to build a large base and having those guys constantly forcing me to stop what I'm doing to deal with it personally is far too tedious. The whole point of this post was about me not having to deal with them directly and all the options sugested so far require my direct action. I have velonos that only aggro once they hit my or my plants even when set to aggressive, one was even in turret mode. I needed a dino or turret or structure that killed or stopped them and none apparently exist so mods are the only way to go right now.

18 hours ago, iolaus said:

I run SP so I just went an grabbed two bug zapper mods until they get fixed, only being able to fight in 3rd person, their extreme aggro range, their excessive spawning, and them targeting Gachas and Turret plant seedlings, and dinos even set to aggressive ignoring them is just too much. I'm trying to build a large base and having those guys constantly forcing me to stop what I'm doing to deal with it personally is far too tedious. The whole point of this post was about me not having to deal with them directly and all the options sugested so far require my direct action. I have velonos that only aggro once they hit my or my plants even when set to aggressive, one was even in turret mode. I needed a dino or turret or structure that killed or stopped them and none apparently exist so mods are the only way to go right now.

....but yeah, your right. Even when they don't attack when on mount, they just don't stop spawning every 2 minutes. They need to correct that. It's way too much annoying and frustrating. I'm thinking of just quit playing till a new update arrives. Finger crossed..

16 hours ago, DMTKenna said:

I was thinking of getting buncha frogs and loading em down with stone n sitting em on walls or edge of cliffs up to my base. Havnt tried it yet

The only problem is they could be just like the other dinos, all the dinos I've so far tried, Spino Velono, Magmasaur, Raptor, and Deinon, none of them will target these things without them being the aggressor.

I tried being inside a house, they find a way in and attack.  I tried the tek forcefield, it seem to keep them at bay.  Though I still see some coming in.  I tried the passive/aggressive dino method.  Which you have an aggressive animal set on follow with a passive animal.  Like a wyvern on aggressive set to follow a tamed passive rex or bronto.  They don't register the swarm unless they are attacked themselves.  Plant species x.  They attack them.  Next I will try using a tamed ichthyornis or dimorphodon.  Or multiple.

But so far the best thing I find that works in some way is the tek forcefield.

Is there a way to get turrets to target them? My main  issue with the swarms is at my base. Its the one of the best biomes to build in looking at geography, but the swarms make it impossible. While running around in the bog you can deal with them, but if you set up a base in the bog, expect non-stop swarms constantly attacking your tames. This causes terrible lag issues. The only solution that sort of works which I have found is a tek forcefield, but to keeping it stocked with element takes most of my time. 

Insect Swarms would be fine... If their spawn rate wasn't so constant (about 8 swarms every 10 minutes) & you didn't need to worry about logging off in your base for fear of being killed by them while offline. They can kill you while you are closed in by metal walls, as well as, destroy crops that are completely enclosed by a greenhouse. I do enjoy Genesis, regardless of the negative feedback and the toxicity one will receive for even saying that lol. The map is fairly new so I expect blue screens, lag ect. However, the swarms do seriously harness the players ability  to establish in this biome, if anything, they almost prevent someone from being able to survive it. You need citronal in order to make repellent, yet I am unable to get more than about 10 grown without the swarms going inside of the enclosed greenhouse and destroying them entirely. I agree, they are easy to kill. But man they are bugging the crap out of me ;) 

On 3/5/2020 at 10:55 AM, Aquistorm said:

I want to share

To be helpful to those who are struggling against the bog because of insect swarm.  Have an ichthyornis or dimorphodon follow you.  They will protect you if you ether hit the swarm or it hits you.  They can take them out fairly quickly.

Or stand in 2ft of water or ride any dino or use bug repellent. At this stage plenty of methods of dealing with them have been discovered.

What hasnt been solved is the horrendous lag and stuttering they cause in the entire biome, rendering it a complete headache and often times an exercise in futility to get anything done there.

Archived