What to do about insect swarm?

killreaperUSMC

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Thunndar666 said:

There hitbox is at ground lvl so look down. They need to tone down the spawnrate bigtime, I have been attacked 10 different times in 5 mins, that's nuts. Torches work the best so have 3 in your hotbar.

I dont get why everyone says the torch. It barely makes it through one swarm and in all likelihood with the way the spawns are broken you're gonna have anywhere from 5-10 (maybe more) come at you back to back.

Just use a sword. It dices them up real good and you dont have to repair it every 10 swings.

Well. Found out that Plant Species X does nothing to the swarm and get destroyed by it. Then later found the ark.gamepedia article on the Insect Swarm that finally came out later today. On the bottom it reads, "Plant species X does not target Insect Swarm swarms and will get instantly destroyed by them."

Anyways, my friend and I have found a nice spot to set up a base. We found out that having tamed dinos nearby helps in killing off the swarms faster. I was wondering if auto turrets could take care of them. Will have to see later. Flamethrower would be cool, but the engrams say to learn on Extinction map, so no flamethrower for the time being. Other than dinos, I have been jumping in a pool of water or use my pike on them. Perhaps later a shotgun.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:07 AM, Dov said:

they won't attack the frog, torch has the highest dps on them so far. And you have to SWING the torch, can't just stand there with it. 

Do they ignore you on the frog or just it. On other mounts they attack and hit both you and the mount your riding, so if they still come after you on the frog it doesn't help much. 

And we would have never guessed that you have to swing a weapon to hit something with it, we'd all be lost without you. Listen the problem if you'd read any of the posts or the OP edit is that the hitbox doesn't work at all in 1st person view and requires you to switch to third to hit them. If you play only in 1st then you never figure out that it's even possible to hit them.

Insect swarms are easy to deal with?!? ?

I’ll gave you they die easily, and I was told to kill them first, but why should I spend what feels like half my time(my life) in this game defending myself from the most annoying, UNTAMABLE, enemy in this game. I kid you not, when it’s “bug hour” I take my headphones off and sigh every time. Who enjoys the sound of thousands of squeaking shopping carts honing in on you like North Korea missies from across the map. They don’t kill anything sure, but boy are they aggravating. Taming an animal and what’s this? Oh they reduced it’s taming efficiency to damn near nothing, or literally spawn so rapidly before your eyes (ruining the immersion, by the way) that you can’t even check your tames because when you get close they attack everything....oh they triggered a lovely brachiosaur stampede. Guess I didn’t want this tame after all.??‍♂️ Or any of my tames for that matter. Guess I just wasted hours of my life I can never get back. I get hazards and I know how easy they are to kill, but these are by far the most annoying part of this add on. 

I say “How in the hell could they make Ark more annoying?” and by golly they made it possible! Good luck when they show and you’re hiding from Blood Stalkers by the way. Please, consider fixing how much they spawn and WHERE they can spawn. They are not enjoyable by any means, and frankly take away any sense of beauty to the bog. They’re ugly. Why are they super small a moment, and then dead their massive? Showing off a broken asset to make up for lack of commitment to their programming maybe? You waste crazy amounts of resources on killing them or watching them destroy all your efforts. And when they appear before your eyes (or in your base???) i can’t help but laugh insanely and think of how I missed the good days of ark when swarms of bugs meant actual swarms of bugs and not dumb looking magic hell humming birds. I would seriously prefer if bug hour locked me inside (like scorched earth) for 5 mins. Because seeing them spawn enrages me that much. Also they’re sound is enough to make me blood syringe myself for 45 minutes. No exaggeration. And for a survival game you’d think theyd grasp a concept of putting mud over yourself or maybe using fire to keep them at bay but your only defense from wanting to rip out your own ear drums, is A- hacking the air aimlessly, B-  getting dumb frogs and staying on them forever C- hiding in water for a few moments until the piranhas arrive. Fix them or add options to remove them. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAKE THEM QUIETER OR SOMETHING. THEY ARE OBNOXIOUS. I can’t be the only one who hates their awful screeching, it’s not scary, it’s not challenging, it’s not immersive, or by any means game play enhancing...just annoying.??‍♂️

For killing the swarms I just crouch and slowly turn in a circle while swinging a hatchet or pick and it kills them off pretty quickly. I take stamina damage from them but no physical/health damage.

Also, as a note, I put up a small 2x2 greenhouse around 4 crop plots and so far they are working fine and have not been destroyed by the bugs.

7 hours ago, dinoorgy said:

Just get rid of the swarms. They add nothing to the game but an annoyance.

https://morbotron.com/gif/S02E08/724755/726206/R0lSTFMgTElLRSBTV0FSTVMKIE9GIExJWkFSRFMsIFJJR0hUPw==

Honestly. The harass animals I normally do not mind, but there is simply nothing fun about getting blue spammed that I am targeted and then have to deal with that every single time I leave base. There is Nothing fun about the swarms. Nothing. Just remove.

Bug Swarms need addressed ASAP

Ok so long story short.. A 12 year old shouldnt be able to run into a 20 man tribe base and destroy over 100 plant x turrets that are 90% grown. Fix this or you will lose hella players. I want to curse so bad you have no idea. I just know how petty these people are. They'll delete your post in a split second. I've already had a few tribe members tell me their posts were deleted. Gg wildcard. Use your brain. Corrupted dinos made hella people quit on extinction before you guys nerfed them. Stop releasing maps that have game breaking bugs that will take days worth of progression from your players. Then decide to fix it when theyve already decided theyre never coming back. I came back from a 2 year break to check out genesis. Me and my 20+ player tribe are about to kick rocks again. This game takes too much time for us to get smacked in the face like this. Wake up. 

Too anyone saying "gEt GuD" your part of the problem. Keep making excuses for these guys. We all know your PvE players anyways. My post will more than likely get deleted by a petty dev.

Bug Swarms need addressed ASAP

Reposting because the devs have deleted every bug report I've made. I'm following all the rules their is no reason for my posts to be deleted. I have screenshot proof of not only mine but other members from my tribe getting their bug report posts deleted for no reason. I will be passing this information onto a major ark discord and a few youtubers will be making vids on it for sure. Way to go wildcard. Your corrupt.

1 minute ago, Joebl0w13 said:

You might want to look up 2 posts.

Frogs wont do anything. when swarms are attached to your turret towers with plant x on them. Believe me we are no scrubs and have tried everything. Its depressing as hell. Im looking at my friends list and everyone is on other games now. Wildcard always has to make sure their is one thing everyone hates and adds no value to the game what so ever. I truly dont get it. Its almost as if they do it intentionally to force more playtime on players for better statistics to show their investors. Shady as hell if you ask me. 

Yeah, torch seems to be the go to for these things. they eat up your weapon durability so much that you are better off using torches. Easy repair cost. Now if they can just back away after fending off the ones near your base. It feels like if you get spotted by one, the entire swamp wants in on the action.

4 hours ago, Novawiz00 said:

It’s a swamp so I get why they are there but I wish WC would turn down the spawn rate on them. They seem like they are every 5 feet. 

They spawn like that when it’s raining. I usually just farm what I can from the water or just run into the water when they get close seein as they don’t attack if your in first person standing in water. Then when they die off I harvest there bodies for meat and hide sucks it rains so much though 

Insect Swarm help

Are there any non manual ways of protecting from insect swarms? Tames won't attack them unless attacked, I've seen a mod that's a bug zapper and I may just do that but I'd rather there be a vanilla option. It gets tiresome having to grab a mount and kill them when I don't have very many right now, and I don't know where to get cacti for propellant for the fire based weapons.

Archived