What to do about insect swarm?

killreaperUSMC

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TinyHippo said:

They're actually very simple to deal with when you know how.

Going to water will get them off you (even just waste deep water that you can breath in,) but this is a bad solution since they'll attack once you leave the water. They can't move through walls as has been said; if you have a fully concealed structure, you're safe.

The thing is, you're looking at them the wrong way. The entire swarm is just one creature, not a bunch of creatures like it looks like. They also can't go through doors (but you can hit them through doors without putting yourself in danger)

The whole swarm has just one fairly small hitbox that can be pretty hard to find due to the randomness of how the individuals fly around, but it moves in a straight line to you, so if you move backwards in a straight line for a bit, then it'll be following right behind you and be very easy to hit.

They also have very poor damage. Even hide armor removes any threat from them and just makes them an annoyance (and drain of fiber and hide for eventual repairs)

They also won't attack you, and will stop targeting you, if you get on a mount like a raptor. Raptors also make very short work of the swarm

I know that it's just one hit box. It's invisible and easy to kill. Killing it isn't the problem. It's killing 6 -10 of them in 1 setting that is the problem. If I had to deal with them every now and then, I'd be ok. but sitting in water, sitting in the open, standing there with a torch constantly killing them for more then 30 min is broken. I'm talking about killing them (getting rid of them). They should not spawn in so frequently. 

9 hours ago, rmnharrington said:

I swung the torch like crazy at them, never hit them once. I just keep dying to the swarms over and over. It's very frustrating. I can't even get a tame because they find me from across the map and come kill me the second I step out of a house.

Their hit box is hard to gauge. Try waiting until they're eye level, and then charge and swing. You might be missing the hit box if it's placed further back. You'll know you're hitting it if you get the bigger dps numbers or sounds of resistance. 

Amazes me how people cannot stay focused on the initial comment. Ya'll wanna talk about how to defeat the swarm, behavior of the swarm, yadda yadda yadda. The fact is, if these were raptors and you killed an attacking raptor, you might think, "KICK ASS Kickin Wing." Then another one pops up (immediately) and you kill it too thinking, "damn I am good", just as another one pops up and is on your ass. Somehow, you manage to take it out too and think, "Im the KING OF THE World!" just as another one pops up. This pattern continues until you put your fist through your computer monitor, or your xbox controller through the drywall. Ark isn't supposed to be an EXTERMINATOR sim and they DO pop up WAY too much. I started with a naked character, fought and swore my way through the process. I have managed to get to a point where I have stuff, and a raptor, but its still annoying to have swarms constantly swarming you. Its not about how to kill the damn things, its about them becoming the focus of the game and I, for one, didnt buy the DLC to swat flys. 

In Ok I found something that works every time. KillAOE wild 2000. ;) seriously though it appears that they don't have a hitbox in first person view but do in 3rd person view.  You cannot hit nor farm them in first but can in 3rd (good source of meat and hide btw). In 1st view you only need to be in ankle deep water or so to be ignored, 3rd requires l deep enough to swim. Tames deal with them pretty well but you have to be able to deal with them to get to where you can tame stuff. It seems like they come in waves and after you deal with a up to two dozen groups you get a break for a little while. So starting out use 1st person to hide in the water and heal, then switch to 3rd, dart out on land with a torch and kill for a bit until you need to heal/stam regen, then switch back to 1st and retreat to water. Rinse and repeate until the wave is clear and then set up your base, get set up to tame, clear another wave, tame a body guard dino or two, and you'll be set up pretty good to deal with them. Unfortunately it looks like this dlc was set up to be a giant kick in the balls for getting started with a new character.

1 hour ago, killreaperUSMC said:

In Ok I found something that works every time. KillAOE wild 2000. ;) seriously though it appears that they don't have a hitbox in first person view but do in 3rd person view.  You cannot hit nor farm them in first but can in 3rd (good source of meat and hide btw). In 1st view you only need to be in ankle deep water or so to be ignored, 3rd requires l deep enough to swim. Tames deal with them pretty well but you have to be able to deal with them to get to where you can tame stuff. It seems like they come in waves and after you deal with a up to two dozen groups you get a break for a little while. So starting out use 1st person to hide in the water and heal, then switch to 3rd, dart out on land with a torch and kill for a bit until you need to heal/stam regen, then switch back to 1st and retreat to water. Rinse and repeate until the wave is clear and then set up your base, get set up to tame, clear another wave, tame a body guard dino or two, and you'll be set up pretty good to deal with them. Unfortunately it looks like this dlc was set up to be a giant kick in the balls for getting started with a new character.

That sounds helpful, I'm glad you figured it out. I tried third person view once, it didn't work out, so I need to play with it more to figure it out. I did notice they will try to attack me while in my stone base, but my neutral tames take care of them for me. I've never harvested them nor have I been able to attack them with anything other than a tame. I'll try your technique soon, thanks for the tips! It seems as though this is a bug with bugs, hopefully it gets fixed.

The map at this point is unplayable. You spawn us in at what you call "easy", yet there are Carnos, Raptors, Kupros, Sarcos, Ants, Baryonyx, everywhere you go. If that wasn't enough, you then break the game by having too many Insect Swarms attack the player. Ok you tolerate all these screw ups and try to kill the swarms. Killed two swarms? Three more spawn on you almost instantly. I somehow manages to stumble across a glitch in the Bog while being attacked by Swarms and got 1,000 whatever it is to spend. Wouldn't waste it at this time because you'll lose it immediately from dying. 

I killed 2 insect spawns with my torch. I could see the damage numbers in the air in front of me, plus burning bugs. I feel like they attack around knee height?

Agree with previous posts that this is NOT an Easy spawn. On our server we spawn into the map completely naked, but with our levels. I died twice (which didn't really bother me because I had nothing on me), then got lucky a 3rd time & managed to make a pick, torch, & axe. The torch took care of the bugs, but then the raptors showed up & I found a beacon or whatever & GTFO'd.

Not going back solo; will wait for my friends.

Archived