Opt-out of setting resets

GreenRoc

Suggestion

I'd like the option to opt-out of setting resets.

I've had many of my settings adjusted to my preference. I'd like the setting, if unchanged, to stay where I put it. If new settings are added, then just put those whatever were default.

Perhaps some button to restore my old custom settings.

My ears are still ringing from the audio :/ which I had set music to zero, and master to 50 or less%. That launch music back to 100% hurts >.<!

Or explain why everything, even window size, and my keybinds unassigning whistle all follow, were reset to default. Ark seems to be the only game that does this to my settings. I dont like it.

This game is why I adjust my other games to match the defaults to this one, because this game does it far too often, and I am sick of it. My ears are still ringing :(

I love this game so much, but some of the stuff devs decide to do make me want to bash my head against my keyboard. Ughhhh...

28 replies to this server topic

34 minutes ago, TheEclipseee said:

If the lighting is an issue for your screenshots

Not lighting, "lightning" It flashes on the screen with a strobing effect, it bothers me. I had it off for years, along with the fireflies. Both are back now, I dont remember how to turn those off.

Edit to add: It is happening again. I am feeling pain behind my eyes when it flashes. I really need to turn off this lightning strobing... and rain inside the base. That's new.

12 hours ago, GreenRoc said:

I'd like the option to opt-out of setting resets.

I've had many of my settings adjusted to my preference. I'd like the setting, if unchanged, to stay where I put it. If new settings are added, then just put those whatever were default.

Perhaps some button to restore my old custom settings.

My ears are still ringing from the audio :/ which I had set music to zero, and master to 50 or less%. That launch music back to 100% hurts >.<!

Or explain why everything, even window size, and my keybinds unassigning whistle all follow, were reset to default. Ark seems to be the only game that does this to my settings. I dont like it.

This game is why I adjust my other games to match the defaults to this one, because this game does it far too often, and I am sick of it. My ears are still ringing :(

I love this game so much, but some of the stuff devs decide to do make me want to bash my head against my keyboard. Ughhhh...

I agree 100%. My ears are ringing as well. And it's super annoying to have to figure out all the many settings again until it's to my liking and matches my PC's possibilities.

4 minutes ago, Leoli said:

and matches my PC's possibilities.

yeahhhh... And to see the suggested setting for my GPU showing as the high option, and yet somehow it was defaulted to medium.

Like, if I wanted my ears blown out and give my eyes a headache, I'd go watch this (that the strobing effect somehow reminded me of)
I do like this, but not when I dont want it.

Even has a firefly-like effect XD Meow

It seems that the lack of reflection isnt an issue with my graphic settings. It has to do with my black floors becoming super black, and I'll leave that part to the other topic.

My apologies for the tangents.

34 minutes ago, TheEclipseee said:

The flashing, I wonder if it's similar to the flashing on Ex I saw complaining about

I'm unaware of that. It is the intentional flashing of lightning, which there is a setting somewhere to disable that strobing effect, which I had applied for years, which is now back with the settings being reset to default...

It is raining like every 15 minutes in center, I cant handle this, having to turn away everytime because of the headache I get from the lightning effects.

20 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Ditto on it IS annoying. I'm STILL messing with my graphics settings and other settings and cant get it back to how I had it. :(

Same. something  visually funky is happening to the floor in my base, and I cant figure out what setting I had before.

Just a couple foundations away and it looks blurry. I want it back to looking nice and detailed again, no matter where I look, or where I am in my base.

Stuff at a distance looks more pixelized than before. I dont know what setting gets back the smoothness I had.

13 hours ago, CryptidHorror said:

I don't think it's as big a deal you're making it, but I do agree it is very annoying. It's happened to both a friend and I and we were both very... surprised to say the least.

Watch what happens when you accidentally hit the default key mapping for "All Follow Me" while you're standing inside your base, and then tell people that it's not a big deal.

Tens of thousands of people (and that's not an exaggeration, it truly is many tens of thousands) have to spend somewhere between 15 minutes and two hours fixing all of their keyboard mappings, graphics settings, video settings, not to mention the quite frequent huge pile of animals all plunged into a corner of their base, every time this happens. Even with a conservative estimate that's at least 25,000 hours of player time wasted every time WildCard made changes that they had no business changing in the first place.

If you add up all of the time this wastes it should be extremely obvious that this is a bad, bad policy on the part of WildCard. The true solution is so simple that it's painful.

So yes, it is a big deal and people should be complaining about it a lot more.

1) Don't ever change a player's sound settings, not ever. There's no reason for it.

2) Don't change a player's graphics settings. Even if something in the graphics engine has changed it's a lot better for players to make tweaks based on that change than to set everyone back to default and force them to wrestle with their graphics until they can finally get things back to their preferences.

3) If there is a new keyboard mapping introduced only make changes related that new mapping. Like when they added the new whistle command to tell flyers to land, all they had to do was map a key to that new command and then unmap whatever command was associated with that one, specific key. There is no good reason for setting every player's key mappings back to default, it's a garbage decision to do that to people.

Pixelisation might be a resolution issue, or one of those 2 or 3 distance settings, I don't remember them exactly without seeing all of them (might help to send a screenshot of the settings page). If the lighting is an issue for your screenshots, I think you've got a weird gamma value, default is 2 of the top of my head.

2 hours ago, TheEclipseee said:

You don't reckon it's a bug? This isn't just keybinds and graphics settings. For singleplayer (idk about servers), it resets all server settings as well- what trail of thought would lead to that? Plus I found a way to make ARK not wipe the config file on loading (simple as changing the last played map) so I feel like this complete wipe of GUS isn't intentional.

It's not a bug. It happens with every major release and sometimes with non-major releases if they have made an addition/change to the default key bindings. For some (stupid) reason WildCard thinks it's ok to just burn up people's time when it's completely uncalled for.

and after posting, I then see my very specifically adjusted, time-tested again and again, my personal, very specially adjusted, acute singleplayer settings reset to default?!?

I am beyond pissed now.

What in the world were they thinking when they MESSED with this?

I hope I have backup of those settings. Why did they even do this? I am beyond infuriated.

I still enjoy your game enough to play it, evn with all these unwanted upsets... This game still has stuff that is so damn good I keep putting up with this again and again.

So why, why Jiminy Cricket, why default all my settings?! Why could I not keep them as they were, or get them restored back to my preferences?

You don't reckon it's a bug? This isn't just keybinds and graphics settings. For singleplayer (idk about servers), it resets all server settings as well- what trail of thought would lead to that? Plus I found a way to make ARK not wipe the config file on loading (simple as changing the last played map) so I feel like this complete wipe of GUS isn't intentional.

3 minutes ago, CryptidHorror said:

I don't think it's as big a deal you're making it

Things in life are far more intense for me, especially with my hobbies and eye candy. I have no doubt it is less of a deal for you. Neurologically speaking.
It is a big deal for me.

Surprise indeed. I was not expecting this at all.

YESSS this this this!

25 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

2) Don't change a player's graphics settings. Even if something in the graphics engine has changed it's a lot better for players to make tweaks based on that change than to set everyone back to default and force them to wrestle with their graphics until they can finally get things back to their preferences.

The game is unplayable for me until I can turn off the strobing for the lightning. I am feeling actual pain in the back of my eyes when it rains. The effect is part of the default center settings, something I have purposefuly disabled on my end because of this pain that it causes me. It also seems like it is raining so much more frequently on Center, or maybe I didnt notice how often it was until it is now raining inside my base. I cant play, unless I want to hurt myself further, no thanks. There is a setting out there that I am out of energy to go googling for.

I dont have enough mental resources left for today.

Archived