ARK PVP needs fixing

aegiswings

ARK PVP needs fixing

ARK PVP needs fixing

I've been playing on a small tribes PVP Aberration server for the past couple months. I started at level 1, had at least a dozen bases raided and destroyed and yet somehow managed to make it to level 91. I've made a lot of friends with the other newbies on the server and they've had similar experiences. Some of them are masochistic like I must be, but most everntually leave after being continually wiped. Yes, I am playing solo but small tribes is limited to 6 tribe members so the largest tribes should not have too much on an advantage. Other tribes with more people just starting out are having just as much trouble.

I've tried it all. I've built stone bases, I've built metal bases. I've built large bases, I've built small, 2x1, hidden basss. I've painted my bases black and built them in the shadows. I've layered walls, foundations, and ceilings 4 layers thick. I've put 15 turrets on bases and filled them with thousands of bullets. I've built multiple mini-bases and spread my possessions out. But every week or so, I get raided and lose everything. Some raiders go as far as actually destroying all your wlalls and foundations until there is nothing left. Turrets don't do anything. Onlty a couple of times has any of the dozens of turrets I've built actually killed a raider or their dino.  Raiders modify their INI files and see your hidden base no matter where you build them.

I long moved to the blue biome in Aberration. Its ironic that I find it much safer than the green biome. I won't even go to the green biome anymore and if I do, I won't take a dino I don't mind losing. Almost every time I go there I get killed by a mana. A mana! Those dinos can't even be found on Aberattion. There is no counter for them in PVP either. I've bred level 300+ megas with 450% melee and 20k health and they get chain frozen, stunned, and killed by a mana. If you want to survive in PVP, you need to first go to Extinction and tame a mana. It makes no sense. I don't want to play Extinction. Manas are not balanced. They are a highly-mobile, high-damage dino that can stun at range and fly. 

Today someone gave me a mana and I flew it back home to my base. When I got there I found someone in tek armor breaking down my walls. I attacked him only to have him dismount me and killed me with a level 400 velinosaur (again not an Aberration dino). When I returned my base was destroyed. my cryopods and anything else of value all gone. 

There is no way for a new tribe to establish themselves on an offical PVP server. There are no longer any places to hide and there is no possible way to defend. People don't even need C4 anymore. There are too many ways to destroy walls for free. When my strongest base was raided (it had triple walls and 15 turrets) I looked at the logs and saw that every signle wall, ceiling, and foundation was destroyed in less than 5 minutes. Multiple vaults were destroyed and the only thing left was some electrical cables. None of the turrets (all with battery backups) killed a single raiding survivor or dino. 

I've previously played Aberration PVE so I know my way araound. Today I stopped by an artifact cave to tame a glowtail. Immediately there person I was with was killed by a tek turret. There is no hope of anyone getting into that cave now, so no one will be able to fight the endgame boss and no one new will be able to unlock tek engrams. I heard yesterday from a larger tribe that another  one of artifact cave has turrets in it too. They are a fairly established tribe but even they don''t have the dino soakers necessary. 

I'm close to giving up on Ark. I don't mind dying. I mostly run around naked without a dino anyways because I know the risk of a mana swooping in and killing me. is always there But even if I am on a dino and it dies, its not too much of a big deal. But what is frustrating is that there is no way to ever build something hidden or secure enough so that you can ever progress. I find myself starting from scratch every couple of weeks and never really feel like I'm getting anywhere. In the past 24 hours, I've lost all 3 of my bases. Some had turrets, some didn't. All where hidden and spread apart. Somehow they were all found and destroyed,

You say a tribe of 6 doesnt have much more of an advantage but its a huge advantage! In the examples you gave if you had even one tribe member online you could have defended, maybe not, but you’ve got much more options. Think of what you have built up on your own then multiply that by 6. Plus the fact that a tribe wont lose everything all the time. 

i feel your pain, i really do, but your really making it hard for yourself. Is there no tribe you can join at all? 

While as you mentioned a tribe of 6 newbies is fairly useless, a tribe of six vets will easily have a huge advantage of any tribe smaller than them. 

Yeah there is absolutely no defending manas they are a broken absolutely rubbish dino however they do keep getting nerfed.

Your main issue though seems to stem from the fact you seem to think you can play PvP official solo and actually make progress, I hate to be the one to tell you but official PvP is meant for tribes and if you play solo then you will just lose everything constantly. The only way to solo official PvP is by just being a one man raider, never building up just gathering what you need for a raid then popcorning all the targets stuff.

Mana first, then ab...tbh everything should be allowed in ab tho, it had it's time

You don't need to modify ini files..bases render before terrain, so you can always see a base, even inside a base...hang outside render range and spyglass it

As for solo, unofficial is the way to go...or a low pop ab server, chances are there is a mega using the grotto as storage though

15 turrets? platform saddles are so op nothing is defendable except crouch points, you could have 100 turrets capped with bullets and the racer box will walk past it all

A racer box with an arthro will eat any base defense 

Either live in an artifqact cave or a small rat hole

Dont sleep at base, dont keep tames there, I'll walk a crab and parasaur around ab looking for loot and raids

Yeah. They need to increase the hp of buildings, increase the damage/range of turrets, make armored xplants a legit thing, nerf more things that are eating metal buildings more, increase no build zones around important things like artifacts... If they don't balance it, then what was the point of working so hard on anti meshing? One more thing that could help to balance is to give every player a free engram for an indestructible box, but they can only build one. That way you can store some stuff with no fear of raiders ever getting it. I demand a safe space! lol

13 hours ago, FreelancerKnux said:

While as you mentioned a tribe of 6 newbies is fairly useless, a tribe of six vets will easily have a huge advantage of any tribe smaller than them. 

Yeah there is absolutely no defending manas they are a broken absolutely rubbish dino however they do keep getting nerfed.

Your main issue though seems to stem from the fact you seem to think you can play PvP official solo and actually make progress, I hate to be the one to tell you but official PvP is meant for tribes and if you play solo then you will just lose everything constantly. The only way to solo official PvP is by just being a one man raider, never building up just gathering what you need for a raid then popcorning all the targets stuff.

Except I don't think there are actually any tribes of 6 active players. At least not 6 that play every day. It seems most tribes seem to do well with 2-3 people. Even if there are 6 on their roster, are they all active? I actually have 4 people in my tribe, but the other 3 play so rarely, they might as well not play at all. I saw some old posts with people suggesting solo or duo official servers. I think that would be an interesting idea. Also I'd like servers that don't allow transfers, or only allow player transfers but with no items or dinos. Ab is such a great expansion and the end game dinos (rock drake, reaper, and basilisk) were such a challenge to obtain. It sucks that it will never be that way again. Now it is just go get a mana.

Just to add insult to injury, I was runing around my Ab server naked today and came across 2 megas that looked familiar. Sure enough they were 2 of the megas that were stolen from me (they were in cryopods so they could claim ownership). They were just standing out there by themselves in a dangerous area of the blue zone. There was no one else in the area and the owning tribe wasn't the same as the one that raided me. Were they stolen again? Or maybe that tribe changed their name as many seem to do almost daily. These were bred and imprinted megas in the high-200s with 425%+ melee and 20k health. Of course they didn't recognize me. I couldn't even kil them either as they were too strong. So I just sat by them for a while waiting to see if the raiding tribe would come back for them. They never did. I assume the pokeballs were worth more to them then the dinos.

There is a counter to manas, plant y, plant z and good but also . . . the humble roll rat. People laugh when I say it but it's true. If you have high enough melee you can kill the rider off the back of the mana (and any other small to mid sized dino), and if you have good imprint you can out speed and out stam a mana as well. 

6 hours ago, whoareyou said:

There is a counter to manas, plant y, plant z and good but also . . . the humble roll rat. People laugh when I say it but it's true. If you have high enough melee you can kill the rider off the back of the mana (and any other small to mid sized dino), and if you have good imprint you can out speed and out stam a mana as well. 

Wow, I gotta try this. How much damage does a roll rat do? And how do they prevent being chain stunned by the mana?

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

And... there is your mana counter.

Getting tek armor is nearly impossible. You'll never defeat a boss in PVP because you'll never be able to get the dinos and mats together to defeat a boss. And don't forget that most artifact caves have turrets in them preventing anyone from acquiring them. Getting tek armor means you've already won.  It is the goal, not the means to getting there.

6 minutes ago, aegiswings said:

Getting tek armor is nearly impossible. You'll never defeat a boss in PVP because you'll never be able to get the dinos and mats together to defeat a boss. And don't forget that most artifact caves have turrets in them preventing anyone from acquiring them. Getting tek armor means you've already won.  It is the goal, not the means to getting there.

He was talking about the velonasaur ?

7 hours ago, aegiswings said:

Wow, I gotta try this. How much damage does a roll rat do? And how do they prevent being chain stunned by the mana?

Not a huge amount, however the damage is also applied to the rider. With 1k melee and good imprint you can kill a player in top tier flak armour right off the back of a dino. A rat with good imprint is very fast, almost as fast as a mana, so it's very hard for a mana to get a beam on you. If they jump around and try to beam you, they will quickly run out of stam. Then you strike. 

Archived