Finding a Tapejara (The Island)

AirplaneSlider

Hi,

Today I explored for over an hour over the island and still haven’t found a tapejara. I want to get a tapejara so I can tame a quetz (I play solo).  I looked on the wiki to find where it was and still couldn’t find one. Does anybody know where I can find a tapejara on the island?

Thanks

So, I don't know if this is a version or platform issue, but I see Tapejaras all over.  Currently on the Island I have a base on the northmost beach of the river that circles around the Redwoods.  I see Tapejaras in that area plus along the river towards the swamp and Green obelisk.  Be sure when you are looking for a particular tame that you kill everything else in the area as much as possible.  If you just fly around without killing anything, you are not making room for more dinos to spawn.

1 hour ago, AirplaneSlider said:

Hi,

Today I explored for over an hour over the island and still haven’t found a tapejara. I want to get a tapejara so I can tame a quetz (I play solo).  I looked on the wiki to find where it was and still couldn’t find one. Does anybody know where I can find a tapejara on the island?

Thanks

I don't think that the driver of the tappa can shoot off the mount unless the tappa is clinging to a wall or something. You would have better luck with a griffin, but you would have to buy one or go to another server, unless you spawn and tame one if you are in SP.

8 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

I don't think that the driver of the tappa can shoot off the mount unless the tappa is clinging to a wall or something. You would have better luck with a griffin, but you would have to buy one or go to another server, unless you spawn and tame one if you are in SP.

I know the driver cannot fire while riding a tapejara, but it think the passengers of the tapejara can since it has a 3 person saddle.

15 minutes ago, PertySlick said:

So, I don't know if this is a version or platform issue, but I see Tapejaras all over.  Currently on the Island I have a base on the northmost beach of the river that circles around the Redwoods.  I see Tapejaras in that area plus along the river towards the swamp and Green obelisk.  Be sure when you are looking for a particular tame that you kill everything else in the area as much as possible.  If you just fly around without killing anything, you are not making room for more dinos to spawn.

I will try doing that. Since I’m on a pteranodon I can only really kill dodos, dilos, compy, and pegomastax. Do I need to kill some of the larger dinos too?

36 minutes ago, AirplaneSlider said:

I will try doing that. Since I’m on a pteranodon I can only really kill dodos, dilos, compy, and pegomastax. Do I need to kill some of the larger dinos too?

Do you have an argentavis? I'd use an argy to help clear an area and then come back on your Pt.

I managed to luck out and scare my Tapejara into a cave mouth which made it super easy to tame.

I would definitely recommend getting an Argentavis next if you are high enough to make the saddle.  Will make clearing wild dinos easier for sure.  Simple trap in this vid: https://youtu.be/YtCmS35JOAM

That being said, don't underestimate your Pteranodon.  Time your stamina breaks well and you can still take on big dinos.

6 hours ago, AirplaneSlider said:

I know the driver cannot fire while riding a tapejara, but it think the passengers of the tapejara can since it has a 3 person saddle.

Yes but if you are solo how are you going to do that? (unless you are getting help, I just didnt want you to go out and tame a tappa if you thought you could shoot off the driver seat)

It's perfectly possible, albeit a bit tricky, to tame a Quetzal using a Tapejara in solo. Sit yourself in one of the passenger seats (preferably the front one) and use whistles to direct the Tapejara. 

You need to fly your mount to where you have line of sight on a Quetzal, which can be tricky as they're often flying high up. Then use the Attack My Target whistle while seated as a passenger and your Tapejara will pursue the Quetzal. Be sure to cancel this instruction with a Go To Location whistle (the comma short-cut) before you get within actual striking range. You can then manoeuvre around in the sky, taking pot shots at the Quetzal. 

As I see it there are two main hazards with this method:

1) whilst seated as a passenger you're unable to see the stamina of your mount. You need to time how long you mount's stamina lasts and be prepared to set down well in advance of it running out, otherwise you'll have a forced landing, most likely in hostile territory. I've crash-landed right next to an Alpha Raptor and lived to tell the tale. 

2) there's a known bug regarding attacking Quetzals. As soon as you start your attack the target will gradually migrate to location 0,0 on the map. On The Island this is a beach just north of the red woods, so even if you do stun your target it will invariable come down in the middle of a lot of predators. Essentially you need to knock the Quetzal out as soon as possible, so I recommend you don't try this approach until you've unlocked shocking tranquilizer darts. 

I've found it helps delay the target's migration to 0, 0 if you keep positioning yourself between the Quetzal and this location. When you shoot, it will generally flee directly away, so you can prevent it from making a beeline straight for the middle of the map if you move and shoot strategically. 

Good luck! 

6 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Yes but if you are solo how are you going to do that? (unless you are getting help, I just didnt want you to go out and tame a tappa if you thought you could shoot off the driver seat)

I was going to use the whistle attack and whistle passive commands while riding it.

11 hours ago, PertySlick said:

I would definitely recommend getting an Argentavis next if you are high enough to make the saddle.  Will make clearing wild dinos easier for sure.  Simple trap in this vid: https://youtu.be/YtCmS35JOAM

That being said, don't underestimate your Pteranodon.  Time your stamina breaks well and you can still take on big dinos.

But I was wondering, if I am killing let’s say dilos, then wouldn’t I only be affecting the dilo spawn rates. In other words, if I have not killed any Tapejaras (not that I want to), how will their spawn rate be affected?

Also, if I try and take on big dinos like brontos and stegos and carnos with my pteranodon, can most of them still dismount me from my pteranodon like raptors can?

Thanks

2 hours ago, MrDonkey said:

It's perfectly possible, albeit a bit tricky, to tame a Quetzal using a Tapejara in solo. Sit yourself in one of the passenger seats (preferably the front one) and use whistles to direct the Tapejara. 

You need to fly your mount to where you have line of sight on a Quetzal, which can be tricky as they're often flying high up. Then use the Attack My Target whistle while seated as a passenger and your Tapejara will pursue the Quetzal. Be sure to cancel this instruction with a Go To Location whistle (the comma short-cut) before you get within actual striking range. You can then manoeuvre around in the sky, taking pot shots at the Quetzal. 

As I see it there are two main hazards with this method:

1) whilst seated as a passenger you're unable to see the stamina of your mount. You need to time how long you mount's stamina lasts and be prepared to set down well in advance of it running out, otherwise you'll have a forced landing, most likely in hostile territory. I've crash-landed right next to an Alpha Raptor and lived to tell the tale. 

2) there's a known bug regarding attacking Quetzals. As soon as you start your attack the target will gradually migrate to location 0,0 on the map. On The Island this is a beach just north of the red woods, so even if you do stun your target it will invariable come down in the middle of a lot of predators. Essentially you need to knock the Quetzal out as soon as possible, so I recommend you don't try this approach until you've unlocked shocking tranquilizer darts. 

I've found it helps delay the target's migration to 0, 0 if you keep positioning yourself between the Quetzal and this location. When you shoot, it will generally flee directly away, so you can prevent it from making a beeline straight for the middle of the map if you move and shoot strategically. 

Good luck! 

Thanks for the great advice, but on the island, isn’t 0,0 in the top left hand corner in the snow biome?

19 minutes ago, AirplaneSlider said:

I was going to use the whistle attack and whistle passive commands while riding it.

last time i tried that less then a month ago on val and the tape always flew away from the quetz not towards it :/ dont know if its a bug and if so has been fixed or not since then. tamed a tape just to used for quetz taming. best bet is to get help. if thats not a option like others have said argy n grapple hook

also a tip i read and used is make a trap or have a safe place to ko tape like on someones(or ontop your own base like i did) and use a rare flower so it stays agro'd to you and dont run away. warning though. that agro's everything hence the reason why i hauled mine to the top of my base to tame it. just keep the buff on you till you get there and ko it

3 hours ago, AirplaneSlider said:

But I was wondering, if I am killing let’s say dilos, then wouldn’t I only be affecting the dilo spawn rates. In other words, if I have not killed any Tapejaras (not that I want to), how will their spawn rate be affected?

Also, if I try and take on big dinos like brontos and stegos and carnos with my pteranodon, can most of them still dismount me from my pteranodon like raptors can?

Thanks

Each area has a certain number of dinos that can spawn in it.  Killing Dilos allows the game to roll the dice to determine what new dino spawns to take it's place.  There is a lot of math and weight values calculated.  But if you aren't seeing any Tapejaras then there is a good chance there is no room for them to spawn.

The only dinos that can dismount are Raptors, Kapros, Baryonyx, Thylacoleos, Purlovias, Microraptors, and Jellyfish.

5 hours ago, PertySlick said:

Each area has a certain number of dinos that can spawn in it.  Killing Dilos allows the game to roll the dice to determine what new dino spawns to take it's place.  There is a lot of math and weight values calculated.  But if you aren't seeing any Tapejaras then there is a good chance there is no room for them to spawn.

The only dinos that can dismount are Raptors, Kapros, Baryonyx, Thylacoleos, Purlovias, Microraptors, and Jellyfish.

Alrighty, thank you for your help!

Archived