Hyenadon and Gallimus taming advices

Crymric

I always build taming pens. For hyaenas, you need to have them on ground, i.e. an enclosure built from fence foundations and walls, not on foundations. The reason is that if they aggro and try to run away, they won't calm down on foundations, but they will if they're on ground.

Then I take an argy, find the hyaena I want (in a pack, the pack leader, i.e. the one on fire, is always the highest level so I'll go straight for that), pick it up with the argy and drop it in the pen. If it's in flee mode or if I mess up during the taming so that it starts running, I just fly out of rendering range and then back in and it has calmed down. Use both ghillie and crouching when you try to tame them and stay away from the head. If you stay behind it, crouched, do the tame interaction and then back away, you'll have a lot easier time.

The same pen can be used for gallis. Just pick them up with an argy and drop them in the pen and you'll have an easy way of shooting them, not to mention that they're safe from other animals during the tame!

I always build my taming pens with a ramp up the wall from the outside and a couple of strategically placed doors so that even on foot I can aggro a creature, run up the ramp, jump down in the pen and then out the door when the creature has followed me into the pen. For this type of pen, I just build an octagon where each side is 2 fence foundations long, so: 2 fence foundations, 45 degree turn with another 2 foundations etc. until I get back to where I started. Two walls high is usually enough for me (I only use this type of pen for medium to small creatures).

15 hours ago, mattj said:

For Galli I just bolad them, ko’d, then threw down spikes and tamed on the spot.

Bola doesn't work on them ?

11 hours ago, Zahlea said:

Then I take an argy, find the hyaena I want (in a pack, the pack leader, i.e. the one on fire, is always the highest level so I'll go straight for that), pick it up with the argy and drop it in the pen. 

You can't pick dinos up on a PVE server.

5 hours ago, PertySlick said:

I am curious why anybody tames a Galli.  Do they have some hidden ability that I am not aware of?

For fun! :)

It's like a living rocket ?

I found a lvl 150 galli today in a company with 4 terror chicken. So... maybe tomorrow... ?

1 hour ago, mattj said:

Must be the difference between our versions. You can bola Gallimimus on the Switch version. I bola’d like 10 before I could throw down spikes fast enough to protect it.

Switch hasn't been updated in ages though, I'm sure they got their drag weight upped at the same time procoptodons did so people on PvP couldn't use them for meshing which also affected using bolas on them

Hyenas were tricky for me, but I’ve managed to get it to work by building a bucket trap 2x2x2 Ramp in and a ladder on the inside to climb out. For some reason when I tried flowers they just lost interest. But I have found out they will chase an equus.... round up the group and get them to chase u to the trap,  as you near the top jump the gap and have them fall in. Pick off the ones you don’t want with a bow. Leave render you should be good to tame when he’s calm.

Archived