fishing Fishing weirdness

Zahlea

Fishing weirdness

So, I never fished before, but decided to have a go because of the event. I found some really weird behaviours and wonder if it's really meant to work like that?

• Adding "ammo", i.e. bait, to a fishing rod removes one ammo. No other ammo works like that. With the long generation time for honey as well as the short spoil time, it really adds insult to injury when I loose one honey every time I set the ammo!
  • Mistakenly pressing the map key, right click, space to fly away or any other key, really, also make me lose my bait. Surely, if I want to stop fishing for whatever reason, I'd get my bait back?
  • Getting attacked by piranhas and raptors no matter how carefully I clear the area out, they respawn (especially piranhas), and of course that's yet another time when I loose my bait. Why don't I get the bait back when my fishing gets interrupted by an attack?

If I make a mistake when reeling in a fish, I'd fully expect to not keep my bait, but the situations above (in descending order from really stupid to very stupid) just makes the whole thing seem buggy and, frankly, crap. I could take the feature being boring, which most fishing features are, or even awkward, but this is downright broken!

Why highlight a feature that is this broken? The one thing I'm taking from this event is how I never want to fish again!

2 hours ago, Castlerock said:

About your first point, when u add ammo to the rod it loads it as bait alr, so its actually in the rod, not really lost. Someone else got mentioned its one way to keep honey and leech blood forever.

I tried loading it like that so that I could swap between 6 honey rods without them spoiling and it didnt work, I put the left overs in a preserving bin and it said "no ammo" I had to have one in my inventory.

6 hours ago, Castlerock said:

About your first point, when u add ammo to the rod it loads it as bait alr, so its actually in the rod, not really lost. Someone else got mentioned its one way to keep honey and leech blood forever.

3 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I tried loading it like that so that I could swap between 6 honey rods without them spoiling and it didnt work, I put the left overs in a preserving bin and it said "no ammo" I had to have one in my inventory.

Yeah, that's what I saw as well, as @Cowgirl said. When I add a honey to a rod it shows honey as "ammo", but it says 0/0 ammo. I fish from a pelagornis so I keep the honey in the pela to extend the spoil timer somewhat and I need to move one more to my inventory before I can start fishing. If it worked as you said @Castlerock, it'd be fine, but it seems like it doesn't, unfortunately.

5 hours ago, Nobi said:

Im on extinction and cant even cast my rod i have a chair and bait but clicking does nothing any help would be great

It can be tricky, you might not be able to cast far, it has to show the cross-hairs and even then sometimes the attempt is too far away and it wont do it so you have to aim closer. 

18 hours ago, Zahlea said:

Yeah, that's what I saw as well, as @Cowgirl said. When I add a honey to a rod it shows honey as "ammo", but it says 0/0 ammo. I fish from a pelagornis so I keep the honey in the pela to extend the spoil timer somewhat and I need to move one more to my inventory before I can start fishing. If it worked as you said @Castlerock, it'd be fine, but it seems like it doesn't, unfortunately.

I've seen this, too! I'd put honey on the rod, then stick the rod on my hotbar. The rod then says ammo is 0/0 (with a honey icon), so I have to grab another honey (that I've kept on my Quetz) and it'll finally say I have one. This seems like a bug we need to report. I didn't trying fishing when it said ammo was 0/0 though, so maybe it would have worked, maybe it would have said "no ammo" I don't know for sure, I just assume the latter.

*Update* I tested this out and it does seem to be a bug. I recorded some video and will submit a bug report. Here's the video: https://youtu.be/P8czLoM5B5M

4 hours ago, GregoPeck said:

I've seen this, too! I'd put honey on the rod, then stick the rod on my hotbar. The rod then says ammo is 0/0 (with a honey icon), so I have to grab another honey (that I've kept on my Quetz) and it'll finally say I have one. This seems like a bug we need to report. I didn't trying fishing when it said ammo was 0/0 though, so maybe it would have worked, maybe it would have said "no ammo" I don't know for sure, I just assume the latter.

*Update* I tested this out and it does seem to be a bug. I recorded some video and will submit a bug report. Here's the video: https://youtu.be/P8czLoM5B5M

Really nice that you showed all parts of it. I had no idea I'd get honey back from equipping another bait! Then I really need to fish with another bait for the last throw before the rod breaks! ;) (Or just repair it before it breaks).

22 hours ago, Nobi said:

Im on extinction and cant even cast my rod i have a chair and bait but clicking does nothing any help would be great

Something is wrong with fishing on extinction. I went to most maps to try to find some good fishing spots but on extinction most of the time it wouldnt let me cast as if there wasnt water there. Couldnt get any casting in the snow biome and only some spots in the city worked.

Archived