WC maybe put some efford in it , servers down again

sowot

3 hours ago, deedoubleu said:

Could be antimeshing system excessive logging for debug purposes.

It's possible, but that's some pretty shoddy coding if true. The logs don't need to be stored in memory, and the issue is very likely related to insufficient memory. I dunno, in a recent post they admitted that they're having RAM issues with the servers, and are deleting event candy/chocolates on the 25th to free up memory. You're likely correct, and WC would rather keep their anti-meshing in place at all costs, even if its gobbling up server resources. 

Like, its definitely on a server by server basis, as some servers are just fine while others are suffering not only from bad ping and excessive lag, but are out of sync to the point where you can set a timer on an imprint for 8 hours, and after 8 hours your tame still has an hour + left before the next imprint. This kind of sync issue is reminiscent of how older games used to hard lock physics and gameworld time progression together. It's all speculation on my part, but it bugs me when it seems like someone is being lazy with code. I've played other online games that use Nvidia PhysX for server side physics, and I've never this kind of weirdness. You see it all the time with Bethesda physics, so maybe someone in WC is writing custom physics code and pulling a Bethesda, who knows.

On 2/11/2020 at 11:10 PM, Swordguy said:

IT experience and education, as well as playing ARK since early access. With all the server optimizations that have been done over the years including offline protection, cryopods, structure snappoints, etc, plus a lower population than in the past as well as the number of bases and tames sitting around, you would expect much better performance than in the past, yet the server performance took a large nosedive around Christmas and has not improved. Nitrado offers a basic server package with shared Ram and swap file utilization, and the performance of official servers reflects this base package in my experience, so the simplest explanation is that they've downgraded.

If you have a better explanation I'm all ears.

https://server.nitrado.net/eng/pages/data_centers donno, looks pretty intense hardware and up to snuff network for me. IMO its the coding / programming that's the culprit.

Well the anti-mesh kill-zones would be yet another collision detection occurring on top of everything else every frame.  And I imagine being thrown on after the fact meant it probably isn't as efficient as they would like it to be.  I'm just guessing but it seems like performance would definitely take a hit.  This game is so complex with so much being calculated every frame.  As a coder myself I would love, just for curiosity sake, to be able to peek at how they manage and attempt to optimize that in the code.

On 2/11/2020 at 8:27 PM, Luewen said:

Source?

If you cant provide one, stop spewing rubbish.

It isn't rubbish, there was a public discussion about this between the community and Devs and it was stated that in order for WC to upgrade their server infrastructure they would need to switch to a subscription based model to be able to support that change. Basically it is a trade off, free to play short of the initial purchase or a monthly subscription cost.  This of course easily translates to no cash to fix the servers but it isn't as simplified as people would like to try and make it.

1 hour ago, Rio4201 said:

It isn't rubbish, there was a public discussion about this between the community and Devs and it was stated that in order for WC to upgrade their server infrastructure they would need to switch to a subscription based model to be able to support that change. Basically it is a trade off, free to play short of the initial purchase or a monthly subscription cost.  This of course easily translates to no cash to fix the servers but it isn't as simplified as people would like to try and make it.

WC does not own the infrastructure, they are developers. Owning and managing this type of infrastructure is another ball of wax, reason why Nitrado and not WildCard is the official sponsor for the servers.  However WC might have some shares in Nitrado, but thats just speculation. 

They needed to go with a 3rd party provider for such. It's less expensive and less all the headaches for WC in doing so. 

However now, lots more providers are allowed: https://www.bestarkhosting.com/

But again, no matter the provider, if the game is not up to par, it will lag and crash no matter the provider.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:10 AM, Swordguy said:

IT experience and education, as well as playing ARK since early access. With all the server optimizations that have been done over the years including offline protection, cryopods, structure snappoints, etc, plus a lower population than in the past as well as the number of bases and tames sitting around, you would expect much better performance than in the past, yet the server performance took a large nosedive around Christmas and has not improved. Nitrado offers a basic server package with shared Ram and swap file utilization, and the performance of official servers reflects this base package in my experience, so the simplest explanation is that they've downgraded.

If you have a better explanation I'm all ears.

*Citation required

4 hours ago, Rio4201 said:

Link and source?

561 is down last time it crashed when i was on it took a hour to get back up and running  .. the events are not worth the downtime and lag ...the lag has been alot worse   sense the anti meshing system has started is there anything they can do to fix this  game ???? i enjoy playing but the lag and downtime is  get worse  and when genius lanches it will be even worse . why add to a broke game maybe fix the game then add to it ??????

We lost our tribe ownership when 525 crashed yesterday. We can't feed our baby gigas... thank you for the unplayable event...  All of our effort put in the game gone... Don't reply with me open a ticket i already opened one 4 hours ago.... All of our Baby Gigas will be dead till they look for it... And they wont even care to restore them... 

11 minutes ago, Jarlaxle said:

We lost our tribe ownership when 525 crashed yesterday. We can't feed our baby gigas... thank you for the unplayable event...  All of our effort put in the game gone... Don't reply with me open a ticket i already opened one 4 hours ago.... All of our Baby Gigas will be dead till they look for it... And they wont even care to restore them... 

This is the risk we take when playing a sandbox game. Or you can play single player. Or you can play on an admin operated private server. You have options and you made your decision. 

14 minutes ago, FraggleRock said:

This is the risk we take when playing a sandbox game. Or you can play single player. Or you can play on an admin operated private server. You have options and you made your decision. 

Go and play in your own servers then. If i have a problem in Single or my own server you are right about the decision. I'm playing in official server which they support and maintain and they set the rules. I want to play game with official rules. So they are responsible for that. Stop trying to change the subject, we love the game and want them to help us maintain better service and server. If you have any problems or solution suggestion you can write as well, if you don't then don't troll the topic.

3 minutes ago, Jarlaxle said:

Go and play in your own servers then. If i have a problem in Single or my own server you are right about the decision. I'm playing in official server which they support and maintain and they set the rules. I want to play game with official rules. So they are responsible for that. Stop trying to change the subject, we love the game and want them to help us maintain better service and server. If you have any problems or solution suggestion you can write as well, if you don't then don't troll the topic.

You're like the guy that had a tree fall on him, because he cut down the tree, because he bought a chainsaw, because he didn't want somebody cutting the tree down for him. He had options, regardless of his skill level (or lack of) and paid the ultimate price. 

17 hours ago, Luewen said:

Like i said before. Dozens of bases we have now are 50 x times bigger than back then.

I don't have any proof, but can't see why it would be the case.

Back then, players had all the same engrams and resources. Or maybe max base dimensions and structures per area limit were increased in last 3 years so it's physically possible to build larger bases now?

Used to play on pvp cluster. Island server was in top 10 EU rank and thus heavily populated. 50/70 at any weekday and always capped at weekends.

You might think that pve has much more structures and dinos, but difference was not that big actually. Except all those enormous bases with tons of dinos was owned by alpha instead of few separate tribes. Add pre-100-limit turrets and plants on top of that. Even betas had 500+ plants alone and even more turrets. They were breeding everything that had any use and even some vanity crap.

It was still hard to find a place to build. Replace typical pillar spam with raided abandoned bases everywhere and you will get a pretty accurate picture of how trashed it was.

Most of the map was rendered at all times, was hard to find a place that can go into stasis apart from carno and herbi islands.

Now lets take into account that a lot of time passed and some improvements were made. All that and 40 players online is still a death sentence now.

So no, it wasn't 50x smaller back then. The reason is somewhere else.

6 hours ago, deedoubleu said:

I don't have any proof, but can't see why it would be the case.

Back then, players had all the same engrams and resources. Or maybe max base dimensions and structures per area limit were increased in last 3 years so it's physically possible to build larger bases now?

Used to play on pvp cluster. Island server was in top 10 EU rank and thus heavily populated. 50/70 at any weekday and always capped at weekends.

You might think that pve has much more structures and dinos, but difference was not that big actually. Except all those enormous bases with tons of dinos was owned by alpha instead of few separate tribes. Add pre-100-limit turrets and plants on top of that. Even betas had 500+ plants alone and even more turrets. They were breeding everything that had any use and even some vanity crap.

It was still hard to find a place to build. Replace typical pillar spam with raided abandoned bases everywhere and you will get a pretty accurate picture of how trashed it was.

Most of the map was rendered at all times, was hard to find a place that can go into stasis apart from carno and herbi islands.

Now lets take into account that a lot of time passed and some improvements were made. All that and 40 players online is still a death sentence now.

So no, it wasn't 50x smaller back then. The reason is somewhere else.

The bases have grown a lot since release. And comparing pvp with alpha or two having gigantic bases 500 tames to pve servers with 20 as big bases or bigger with 500 tames plus all the other bases. So there we have our performance differences. 

Out of my own experience I can say that our Ragnarok server was pretty lag free with 30-40 players UNTIL last year APRIL! 

It all started around that time, shortly before the Aprils event and when so many people lost their character to rollbacks. @Cedricmade a post and said that they would give people their ENGRAMS back if they could prove it with pictures but the GM's today say they don't give anything back?

Back to the issue, it all started around that time. My highly populated Ragnarok server was fine before April last year and has gone to sh** afterwards.

9 hours ago, Luewen said:

The bases have grown a lot since release. And comparing pvp with alpha or two having gigantic bases 500 tames to pve servers with 20 as big bases or bigger with 500 tames plus all the other bases. So there we have our performance differences. 

I don't think tames were limited to 500 at the time.

And don't forget every decent base is tripple walled/floored/roofed with countless foundation spam around.

Archived