Jump to content

Jaybit42

Raids and counter measures

Recommended Posts

Raids and counter measures

I am thinking through a base design and need ideas on how it could be raided and possible counter measures. 
 

Here is my current thought. Building in an underwater cave on the island. I would like to get one with the smallest entrance as to prevent riding larger tames in.

 

Raid tactical I have considered:

1) Flack run.

This can be prevented with correctly positioned heavy turrets.

2) Mana jumping

I have seen a lot of base designs where a mana can dart over the turret wall and destroy the generator.

This can be countered by building a blockade to the ceiling. And having turrets in the back of the base. Surprised how many builds make this mistake 
 

3) Stego rocket rush

This can be somewhat countered by getting the turrets far enough away that they cannot be easily reached. Also can rockets be fired under water? If not then maybe building overlapping hatch frames or something that prevent a Stego from surfacing would prevent this until they were cleared first.

 

4) Suicide bombers

Whistling in tames like turtles with c4 strapped on.

making sure the vitals are hard to get to like turret out of range(high up). Can minimize the damage from this. 
 

5) Soakers

Walking a rock ele or Stego into the cave and soaking the turrets. I think this is one of the hardest to counter. If one of the cave entrances is small enough that a rock elemental can’t walk in it would have to be deployed in the cave which might be hard to mount with some player only turrets with line of sight. Maybe some microraptors to dismount players or dimorphodons to attack the rider.  Would a pack of deinonychus be able to mess up some soakers with their bleed ability?
 

6) Meshing squid

Using the squid to mesh through the top of the cave. Not positive if this is still a think but considering this is ark I am guessing it is. Maybe a giga would be able to attack it in the mesh to help defend from this?

 

Help me think of other attacks and counter measures that can be used. I know every base is raidable but the more required resources/tames, counters or annoying defenses the less likely it will be successfully raided. My goal is to set up a base I can breed and use long enough to run some bosses to unlock tek.
As a side note I do not have tek or extinction. I may pick up extinction so I can get Velos to help defend.
 

EDIT: 

I can’t respond as my limit has been reached... (You should be able to respond to your own topic without limitations). Anyway to clarify I am not saying to mesh with the giga. The thought is if someone is meshing with the squid the giga would be able to bite it (This is more about offline raiding so giga would have to attack on its own). Also mosa c4 would not be an issue as it would not fit in the cave (smallest cave entrance as stated above).

 

Update:

My base lasted less then one week on an very low population server. I had 8 heavys and 6 standard and 4 plants around the entrance with another 4 heavys and 4 standards and 2 plants along the back wall. From the logs it was attacked by a mek and Stego. I put up fence supports across the front to prevent dinos from rushing past the first line of defense while leaving line of site for the back turrets. He died once during raid by the turrets. My guess is he soaked my front turrets rocketed by wall from the Stego to kill the plants then some how deployed the mek(it’s a small cave) to kill my tames and destroy what he could.

Edited by Jaybit42
Clarified information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jaybit42 said:

Raids and counter measures

I am thinking through a base design and need ideas on how it could be raided and possible counter measures. 
 

Here is my current thought. Building in an underwater cave on the island. I would like to get one with the smallest entrance as to prevent riding larger tames in.

 

Raid tactical I have considered:

1) Flack run.

This can be prevented with correctly positioned heavy turrets.

2) Mana jumping

I have seen a lot of base designs where a mana can dart over the turret wall and destroy the generator.

This can be countered by building a blockade to the ceiling. And having turrets in the back of the base. Surprised how many builds make this mistake 
 

3) Stego rocket rush

This can be somewhat countered by getting the turrets far enough away that they cannot be easily reached. Also can rockets be fired under water? If not then maybe building overlapping hatch frames or something that prevent a Stego from surfacing would prevent this until they were cleared first.

 

4) Suicide bombers

Whistling in tames like turtles with c4 strapped on.

making sure the vitals are hard to get to like turret out of range(high up). Can minimize the damage from this. 
 

5) Soakers

Walking a rock ele or Stego into the cave and soaking the turrets. I think this is one of the hardest to counter. If one of the cave entrances is small enough that a rock elemental can’t walk in it would have to be deployed in the cave which might be hard to mount with some player only turrets with line of sight. Maybe some microraptors to dismount players or dimorphodons to attack the rider.  Would a pack of deinonychus be able to mess up some soakers with their bleed ability?
 

6) Meshing squid

Using the squid to mesh through the top of the cave. Not positive if this is still a think but considering this is ark I am guessing it is. Maybe a giga would be able to attack it in the mesh to help defend from this?

 

Help me think of other attacks and counter measures that can be used. I know every base is raidable but the more required resources/tames, counters or annoying defenses the less likely it will be successfully raided. My goal is to set up a base I can breed and use long enough to run some bosses to unlock tek.
As a side note I do not have tek or extinction. I may pick up extinction so I can get Velos to help defend.

Mosa platform rush is an issue underwater.players box themselves in and c4 when the mosa is close enough   and mesh biting the giga in defence is banable sadly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you ask me this kind of thing - building in caves is one of the largest balance issues in this game at present. It's way too easy for a defender to do and provides huge bonuses. It needs to be patched out.

That said in terms of defense walls of turrets is normally the go combined with various obstacles to funnel the enemy into a narrow confined area where they can be focused fired.

Edited by ForzaProiettile
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

If you ask me this kind of thing - building in caves is what is one of the largest balance issues in this game at present. It's way too easy for a defender to do and provides huge bonuses. It needs to be patched out.

That said in terms of defense walls of turrets is normally the go combined with various obstacles to funnel the enemy into a narrow confined area where they can be focused fired.

Quoted for importance. Caves have turned official PVP into a PVE game mode where everyone lives in unraidable bases and engages in salty discord trash talk.. Because thats all you can do in current meta, only way to wipe a base anymore is to inside them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, covenantgrunt said:

Quoted for importance. Caves have turned official PVP into a PVE game mode where everyone lives in unraidable bases and engages in salty discord trash talk.. Because thats all you can do in current meta, only way to wipe a base anymore is to inside them.

what are the better caves to build at? currently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kyleserver94 said:

Cave bases are the best if u think they aren't then try to raid ur just trash at the game 

I'm on server 94 in the meat hammers tribe u can't even raid us cause we know how to build

you seem to be just a bob in my opinion trying to get a cave raided …. true alphas don't tell where the good loots at ;) any base is raidable….and with time you would be too :D if actually in this unraidable cave^^lol if smalltribes I maybe can see some difficulty...but not impossible lol if on the official network box box megatribe would love to break ur hearts on valentines :D thnx for the details lololol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...