Cross Ark Cluster Survivor Transfer Failure - Survivor Gone

Tibster

Cross Ark Cluster Survivor Transfer Failure - Survivor Gone

Hello All,

Long time reader first time poster. I have 1 dedicated server in which I own on my local network. Running Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS. I have setup up multiple servers utilizing method 2 in this guide:

I was able to travel to a Obelisk in Ragnarok and transfer to Aberration however once I arrived in Aberration it prompted me to produce a new character. Following trying to load back into Ragnarok I am prompted to create a new player.

I am able to see the other server in my cluster, type in the password and connect but now there is now survivor on either server. Inside each Saved map folder my survivor ID is no longer present and I will have to retrieve this from a backup I made to get my survivor back.

The shared folder between clusters is located at /home/clusters/ where the server created /home/clusters/clusters/<clusterid> with permissions 777. I have double and triple checked the GUS.ini and the instance.cfg and all are correct. Should i create links between users to the shared folder?

Start parameters:

fn_parms(){
parms="\"Aberration_P?AltSaveDirectoryName=Aberration_P?listen?MultiHome=0.0.0.0?MaxPlayers=10?QueryPort=27016?RCONPort=27021?Port=7779 -automanagedmods -NoTransferFromFiltering -ClusterDirOverride=/home/clusters -clusterid=XXXXXX\""
}

I am currently stumped. What would cause this issue?

It's a long time since I've done unix stuff, but the $ signs on the port numbers and map name look out of place.  Are you trying to use variable names here?

It's recommended to separate port numbers by 2, so you have QueryPort on Ab at 27016, and your next map should be 27018, etc.  Same with Port numbers.

I think you have your inner set of quotes in the wrong place.  Try...
fn_parms(){
parms="\"$Aberration_P?AltSaveDirectoryName=$Aberration_P?listen?MultiHome=$0.0.0.0?MaxPlayers=$10?QueryPort=$27016?RCONPort=$27021?Port=$7779\" -automanagedmods -NoTransferFromFiltering -ClusterDirOverride=/home/clusters -clusterid=XXXXXX"
}

It might be that the cluster parameters were not being interpreted correctly by the Ark server.
Also note that the MultiHome setting is only needed if you have more than one network card on your server.  In your case, setting it to 0.0.0.0 is probably not having any effect.

34 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

It's a long time since I've done unix stuff, but the $ signs on the port numbers and map name look out of place.  Are you trying to use variable names here?

It's recommended to separate port numbers by 2, so you have QueryPort on Ab at 27016, and your next map should be 27018, etc.  Same with Port numbers.

I think you have your inner set of quotes in the wrong place.  Try...
fn_parms(){
parms="\"$Aberration_P?AltSaveDirectoryName=$Aberration_P?listen?MultiHome=$0.0.0.0?MaxPlayers=$10?QueryPort=$27016?RCONPort=$27021?Port=$7779\" -automanagedmods -NoTransferFromFiltering -ClusterDirOverride=/home/clusters -clusterid=XXXXXX"
}

It might be that the cluster parameters were not being interpreted correctly by the Ark server.
Also note that the MultiHome setting is only needed if you have more than one network card on your server.  In your case, setting it to 0.0.0.0 is probably not having any effect.

My apologies I forgot I took care of the $ signs already. I'll edit the post to avoid further confusion. I'll remove the MultiHome as well.

I was also able to restore my survivor to the Aberration server which has nothing on it currently. If I want to take it back to Ragnarok I'll have to stop the servers remove the cluster parameters and then download the survivor from Aberration and Upload him to Ragnarok.

Still not quite sure why the transfer will not go through.

7 hours ago, Tibster said:

I was also able to restore my survivor to the Aberration server which has nothing on it currently. If I want to take it back to Ragnarok I'll have to stop the servers remove the cluster parameters and then download the survivor from Aberration and Upload him to Ragnarok.

Still not quite sure why the transfer will not go through.

1. What are the port numbers on the other maps?

2. Have you moved the inner quotes on all the parms lines?

20 hours ago, Larkfields said:

1. What are the port numbers on the other maps?

2. Have you moved the inner quotes on all the parms lines?

1. Server 1 - 7777, 27015, 27020
    Server 2 - 7779, 27016, 27021

2. All quotes have remained in the current locations in the example.

Sorry for the late reply just worked a double.

So I made some progress....
1. I removed MultiHome=0.0.0.0

2. I renamed the shared /home/clusters/ folder to /home/cluster/

Now inside /home/cluster/clusters/clusterid/ I see my steam64 ID but I am still unable to transfer my character back into Ragnarok from Aberration.

If I copy and paste my profile back into the Ragnarok game file I can spawn back into Ragnarok with my character. When I run to an obelisk and transfer to Aberration it works...but I still cannot turn around and transfer back to Ragnarok.

I've also noticed when I transfer from Ragnarok to Aberration my survivor profile leaves the Ragnarok/Saved/ folder completely. If I want to try anything else again on Ragnarok I have to re copy and paste my profile back into the Ragnarok server.

5 hours ago, Tibster said:

1. Server 1 - 7777, 27015, 27020
    Server 2 - 7779, 27016, 27021

2. All quotes have remained in the current locations in the example.

Sorry for the late reply just worked a double.

Have you port-forwarded 7777 to 7780, and 27015 to 27016 on your router?

When you say (for example) "Port=7777", Ark silently uses ports 7777 and 7778 so you always have to port-forward the number you specify and the next one up.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

6 hours ago, Larkfields said:

Have you port-forwarded 7777 to 7780, and 27015 to 27016 on your router?

When you say (for example) "Port=7777", Ark silently uses ports 7777 and 7778 so you always have to port-forward the number you specify and the next one up.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

Yes I have those ranges port forwarded. I found a thread from September of you suggesting the same thing and I really hoped that was the problem as the symptoms are exactly the same.

21 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

If you delete the cluster directory and start the server: does the directory get created for you, or do you have to manually create it?

The cluster is automatically created.

1.Cluster directory is identical along with clusterid per map.
2. The server is running on a Dell R610 running proxmox 6.1-5VE
3. The servers are running in a Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS LXC container.

I have reached my post limit please reach me at the username provided for discord.

Tibster186#4103

12 hours ago, Larkfields said:

1. Do you have identical cluster directories and cluster IDs for each map?

2. Are all your maps/servers running on the same PC?  

3. Are they running in VMs?

1.Cluster directory is identical along with clusterid per map.
2. The server is running on a Dell R610 running proxmox 6.1-5VE
3. The servers are running in a Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS LXC container.

9 hours ago, Larkfields said:

Are all the servers in the same container?
They all need r/w access to the same cluster directory.  Transfers are implemented through files in that directory.

1. They are all in the same container.
2. I created a shared directory using this guide with 777 permissions instead of 770 the article called for: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to-create-a-shared-folder-between-two-local-user-in-linux/

Just an update back to this, I've permanently changed umask to allow folder and file creation for full permissions as well as chmoded the entire cluster folder. When I use chmod the steam64 id becomes recognized as an executable folder but nothing changes. I am still unable to transfer without being prompted to create a new survivor. However every-time a new steam64id is created in the cluster, it reverts back to owner read and write access only. My next step is to move the cluster to a network share and see if that helps otherwise I'll be moving on from Linux to Windows. Totally out of ideas.

Archived