I took the risk today, but I'm worried.

Jtmorris

I took the risk today, but I'm worried.

I'm really jazzed about the new Genesis release. 
Today I pre-ordered it. Total impulse buy. I was planning to wait and read reviews, but my love of this game got the better of me on this one. 

I'm worried it won't run properly on the original Xbox One. Extinction still crashes for me. OSD's do it nearly every time, flying from place to place on an owl (too fast to render?), fighting large amounts of dinos lags and then crashes, etc. Basically any time there is a high demand on the Xbox, it crashes. I even tried buying an SSD to run it from, but the same issue. I've never done a boss fight there because I eventually stopped playing Ark because they just never fixed it. (Valguero release brought me back to try again)

Will Genesis make the same high demands on the XBox that extinction does? If it does the same thing, I think we will be so discouraged and just leave it again. Extinction was just so frustrating and a waste of money. 

And now I've gone all in. Please don't burn me again WC. 

See you in Genesis.

• Volunteer Moderator

I'd say that's the risk of playing any recent games on a console that was released like 8 years ago... especially huge games that contains so much content and complex mechanics that do not have 8-bits graphics ala Minecraft such as ARK. There is unfortunately so much game developers can do to support old hardware...

I play on Original Xbox One and PC.  I don't seem to get the same severity of problems as TC and I can play Extinction just fine.  In fact I don't think I've ever been dashboarded.  But I'm also running the game on an external SSD which I can believe lessens the pain.  I will say though that my mediocre PC runs the game FAR better.  But to the credit of Xbox and PS4, this is a pretty demanding and complex game.

I play PC so i can't give any real input on the Xbox1 factor.

But bottom line- It's ARK run by the notorious WILDCARD. 

ALL of the current maps still have an insane amount of bugs.

We all want the best out of this game.

Anything to do with wildcard is a "risk". Their name is true testament to their awareness of the game. 

GL :)

As new content gets added the game will only get worse. Remember , apart from the new map , everything else have to be added to the main game. ( New dinos , resources , tools , weapons etc. ) Why , because of transfers and multiplayer. So all new content ( except the map itself ) becomes build into the main game. That is why you can spawn any DLC dinos or items into any non-dlc map even if you don't have the DLC. So , what I'm saying is that Ark has already become a very very bloated game and it will be only worse when the new DLC comes demanding even more system resources as the bloat becomes even bigger. It will run worse , not better. And the bugs also just gets more.

As for my personal opinion on Genises ( and I know the fanboys will hate me now ). It was not needed. WC is just milking the cow as much as they can now. There is already more than enough content and maps to play. Ark 1 should have ended with Extinction and they should have rather started work on Ark 2 with a much better and newer engine and mechanics.
Adding just more bloat into an ageing engine will just make things worse.

10 hours ago, Wikus said:

As new content gets added the game will only get worse. Remember , apart from the new map , everything else have to be added to the main game. ( New dinos , resources , tools , weapons etc. ) Why , because of transfers and multiplayer. So all new content ( except the map itself ) becomes build into the main game. That is why you can spawn any DLC dinos or items into any non-dlc map even if you don't have the DLC. So , what I'm saying is that Ark has already become a very very bloated game and it will be only worse when the new DLC comes demanding even more system resources as the bloat becomes even bigger. It will run worse , not better. And the bugs also just gets more.

As for my personal opinion on Genises ( and I know the fanboys will hate me now ). It was not needed. WC is just milking the cow as much as they can now. There is already more than enough content and maps to play. Ark 1 should have ended with Extinction and they should have rather started work on Ark 2 with a much better and newer engine and mechanics.
Adding just more bloat into an ageing engine will just make things worse.

Agreed but not sure there is a better engine currently...

On 2/7/2020 at 9:35 AM, ThePryBar said:

@Jtmorris

Are you running wifi or are you using a lan cable, any of my pals that run the wifi always would disconnect until they switched up to a direct line.  I'm on ps4 

Thanks. Unfortunately already running wired with great internet. 

I disconnect every time I switch maps. I choose where to spawn in and then it crashes. Every time without fail with the exception of when I switch to Aberration. For some reason I don't crash going there. 

@Wikus I like that idea. Ark 2 could be so epic if they started from the ground up. Perhaps that the plan after Genesis!

So all in all, I might have to break down and buy a newer system. Sigh. Time to start saving up. I wish the new Xbox was a little closer on the horizon. 

Archived