Where to find ichthysaurus?

Renesis89

Hello, i want to tame one of these dolphins so i can start harvesting oil and pearls more easily.  I have only took my raft along the south coast but i have yet to find one.  Are there any hots spots where they hang out?  I have also heard that killing a dino or fish in the water will attract one, is this true?  Thanks.

I do not think you'll be able to tame one or it will be extraordinarily frustrating.  Only reason is I have 460 oxygen, and it was a BEOTCH for me to tame one.  Sure a level 40 only takes like 8 dodo kibble...but the last kibble the Ichthy is running away from you the whole time.  I could keep up with it, but I have 460 oxy and every time you're about close enough to put in the kibble it changed direction.

Recommendation is to have a huge supply of thatch walls/wall-foundations.  And when you see an ichthy they will initially follow you, bring it to the coast and pen it in.

Takes only a few minutes to tame a lvl 40.

Also most Ichthy are a little out to sea but relatively shallow.  You can at default Oxy probably swim down 1/4 of your O2 and start finding ichthys about midway off the shallows.

Since I am single player these two won't be of any help, but the location should still work.  Heading west from Herbivore Island (at the bottom of the sound side) there are two of them stuck in the shoreline.  They may not be stuck if you travel there.

They are generally all down the shoreline so it is hard to say exactly where.  I don't know about killing some fish or a dino in the water, but be careful of what you go after, especially don't after a turtle (unless you are experienced) as they can kill you quick.  Others may have more information for you.  Good luck

Yeah basically just sail your raft out a small distance off the shallow, they are about 1/4 O2 under the water for a default oxygen (100).  Don't expect to tame it out there, get dodo kibble (easy to make with a small farm, super easy) and lure them back to shore, into a thatch pen and close the pen.

Leave no foundation if the ichthy swims on a foundation it will die.  Just have fence foundations/walls.

My son tamed one real easy, there were several around him.  He had killed some megladons, not sure where, probably wasn't real shallow water, but I think he was close to the surface when he tamed it.   I do know he had his raft close by to get on, so he may have been able to get on it to catch his breath and get more meat.  He remarked he had more problems with the other ithcys than any thing else as they were curious. 

He didn't have kibble either.  I guess the meat from the megladons gave him enough food.  Said he had to kill three megs while he was diving for oil, and I do know he wasn't in real deep water.   His oxygen levels aren't that high.  

17 hours ago, Renesis89 said:

Forgot to mention i am level 52 but never leveled up oxygen.  How hard are megalodon to kill? I use pike and crossbow

You don't NEED oxygen to tame one, some times they will practically swim to shore. They are attracted to players and even more so to other tamed dinos. Park a large dino in the shallows to help attract them, or put one on the raft with you. 

I've tamed a few in the north in the cove around 25/66.

4 hours ago, Rancor said:

You don't NEED oxygen to tame one, some times they will practically swim to shore. They are attracted to players and even more so to other tamed dinos. Park a large dino in the shallows to help attract them, or put one on the raft with you. 

I've tamed a few in the north in the cove around 25/66.

This. Icthys will follow you around they dont run away they practical beg you to tame them.

A lot of them on the westcoast in the area from where the waterfall of the river with the volcano to the snowline.  There are also a lot of megalodons in this area too the harder part will be getting the ichthy somewhere else without a shark eatting them.  They are shark magnets.

Asked my son about his taming his Icthy, he said he had killed three megladons and they showed up; I don't know exactly what level he was, around 40, he used a crossbow I think if they can shoot under water.  I do know that he was able to get on his raft and shoot the other two. 

He had been collecting oil and when they showed up he took his raft close to a shallow area and they followed him.  He said the one he was taming didn't run away, but the others were pains in the rear, wanting attention.   He had once been kinda killed by them where there were so many they kept him from getting to the surface to get oxygen, he drowned. 

Hope that helps

I usually see them when Im flying over the water all around the south. In single player I was setting myself up on herbivore island and one had actually managed to get itself onto the shallows there and was literally on top of the water, I just walked over in ankle deep water and started feeding it. Easiest tame ever.

Sometimes I've seen them get stuck in shallows like that, but I dont do a lot of water content so I usually ignore them. Plus I like the beavers more

Archived