Can't find server behind same router

tazmatic

Can't find server behind same router

So I run a homelab which is in a different vlan then my PC where Ark is hosted. Everyone else not behind my router can find my server and get on but I cannot. I am unable to see it in the lan section of the server finder and if I add it as a favorite server on steam I get not responding. I was wondering if anyone knew a solution for this or If I have to be in the same vlan for it to work which is kinda ridiculous. Thank you

1 hour ago, tazmatic said:

So the common router is a dd-wrt router which supports NAT-reflection. Is there any kind of configuration that I need to accommodate for this? If I drop myself into my vlan with the server I can access it via lan. The problem is that I do not want inter lan communication for security purposes.

You've exceeded my network knowledge tazmatic.  I don't know how you'd access your Ark server when it's on a different (V)LAN ?
Your security has defeated your gameplay !

7 hours ago, tazmatic said:

Haha all good, I can access it through other means. I'm mainly just curious why they took such a weird route to make it work and if there is anyway to just force strict routing 

Launch factorio and start a multiplayer game.  That's it done.  Anyone can join.
Launch the Ark server, sort your port-forwarding, firewall, NAT-Loopback.  

Factorio proves that the individual shouldn't need to be a network guru to start a multiplayer game.
Ark is (sadly) a million miles away from this.
Atlas (aka Ark v2) is a gaziillion miles away !

• 2 weeks later...

Try setting up a static route on your Windows client. That shoulld allow you to access your server on the other vlan. You can also run a route print command to verify how the routes are set now and after.

Syntax: route -p ADD destination_network MASK subnet_mask gateway_ip

Example: route -p ADD 192.168.35.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1

Archived