Fastest flyer

Tiberiusisgod

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgod said:

Fastest flyer

My tribe is holding a competition for fastest flyer we use ragnarok as map but all flyers are allowed since we have an admin. Prize is Genesis season pass please help

Straight line, I'd say Wyvern. But if there is a lot of short turns to make, I'd say Ptera. Turn radius of Wyvern would slow you down.

A diving Griffin can leave anything behind .... If you have time enough to fly high and the distance is far enough

EDIT - From phoenix wiki entry ....

Travel Mount
Despite what the dossier says, Phoenixes can be ridden, even without a saddle and can somehow be ridden without burning the survivor. Phoenixes have a special attack that allows them to traverse at an extreme speed, and being in the air, little to no obstacles can block your path. Although the Phoenix does have one of the largest turning radius's in the game when boosting, this problem is usual trivial when high enough in altitude. This allows the Phoenix to be an even better travel option than even that of the 20px-Pteranodon.png?version=ec85372e738c Pteranodon or 20px-Wyvern.png?version=243f3f9d5c0e14ea Wyvern due to its incredible speed. Level 20px-Stamina.png?version=74130d137de8faf Stamina and 20px-Weight.png?version=385748e9b6aaf7b2 Weight.

2 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

A diving Griffin can leave anything behind .... If you have time enough to fly high and the distance is far enough

EDIT - From phoenix wiki entry ....

Travel Mount
Despite what the dossier says, Phoenixes can be ridden, even without a saddle and can somehow be ridden without burning the survivor. Phoenixes have a special attack that allows them to traverse at an extreme speed, and being in the air, little to no obstacles can block your path. Although the Phoenix does have one of the largest turning radius's in the game when boosting, this problem is usual trivial when high enough in altitude. This allows the Phoenix to be an even better travel option than even that of the 20px-Pteranodon.png?version=ec85372e738c Pteranodon or 20px-Wyvern.png?version=243f3f9d5c0e14ea Wyvern due to its incredible speed. Level 20px-Stamina.png?version=74130d137de8faf Stamina and 20px-Weight.png?version=385748e9b6aaf7b2 Weight.

Yes the Phoenix is super fast!!!

5 hours ago, Tiberiusisgod said:

Fastest flyer

My tribe is holding a competition for fastest flyer we use ragnarok as map but all flyers are allowed since we have an admin. Prize is Genesis season pass please help

Official servers or your own private server? On our private server with Classic Flyers mod, 100% imprinting, and boosting speed to insane levels, wyverns are fastest. I can cross Ragnarok in seconds. Landing at those speeds however.... not so elegant. Lol. 

Do people not know how to chain the owl/griffin glide to keep your top speed all the time?  On an owl you don't even need very much altitude to start.  Just do a quick dip to get an initial speed boost, use that to go way up into the air, then dive and pull up.  You don't lose momentum for going up immediately after a dive because the boost is time based.  Watch your stamina to see when your glide is slowing and then repeat the maneuver.

On 2/4/2020 at 10:56 AM, GrumpyBear said:

On a griffon I could beat all wyverns to any Santa drop during Christmas. I was surprised by a rider on a Phoenix though.

On our server, by the time the Griffin gets the altitude to dive and gain speed, I'm already there on a wyvern. That's with the 'NCG (Near Classic Griffin)' mod installed even. I imagine a lot depends on the server settings, and mods, etc. But all things being equal... wyvern can fly across Rag in seconds while a Griffin needs to slow down to gain altitude occasionally. 

2 hours ago, DeHammer said:

On our server, by the time the Griffin gets the altitude to dive and gain speed, I'm already there on a wyvern. That's with the 'NCG (Near Classic Griffin)' mod installed even. I imagine a lot depends on the server settings, and mods, etc. But all things being equal... wyvern can fly across Rag in seconds while a Griffin needs to slow down to gain altitude occasionally. 

nope, not really true, it's about how you fly it.  I can out pace a wyvern fairly easily after a little effort getting started.  The wyv gets a faster start, but I zip right past them and it stays that way after that.  Better riders can do it better.

Just like the owl, you can use the speed boost heading upwards and forwards at the same time.  You don't have to sacrifice moving forwards for going up.  You can do both at the same time so the next drop down you do is right after the last one wears off.

The only animal that really surprised me was the phoenix, the flyer I saw using it really kept up w/ me albeit a tiny be behind so we ended up taking turns on the drops.  Wyverns I could take 2 or 3 for every 1 they could reach(i didn't gank them though, i shared if htey were pretty close to the drop i let them get it).  The snow owl w/ an asc candy can keep up with the phoenix too, but give that candy to the griffin and it's over.

3 minutes ago, Castlerock said:
26 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:
I was thinkin about that, I'm betting a gasbag stated for movement speed and oxy could match a mana.

How do u control a gasbag in the air? I find it very hard

Less is more.  It's more like flying a blimp.  But you use the terrain as a guide to how it will react.  If you are going up a slope it will rise faster so use less air.  If you start very high up , you will need air for the cushion so u use almost no air .   Sometimes if you are not landing super hard but maybe a little bit too hard,  you can push jump and backwards at the same time to counter the hard landing.  But generally, it's a controlled crash all the way across the map.  Just push buttons less and let its floating do the work for you.

20 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

nope, not really true, it's about how you fly it.  I can out pace a wyvern fairly easily after a little effort getting started.  The wyv gets a faster start, but I zip right past them and it stays that way after that.  Better riders can do it better.

Just like the owl, you can use the speed boost heading upwards and forwards at the same time.  You don't have to sacrifice moving forwards for going up.  You can do both at the same time so the next drop down you do is right after the last one wears off.

The only animal that really surprised me was the phoenix, the flyer I saw using it really kept up w/ me albeit a tiny be behind so we ended up taking turns on the drops.  Wyverns I could take 2 or 3 for every 1 they could reach(i didn't gank them though, i shared if htey were pretty close to the drop i let them get it).  The snow owl w/ an asc candy can keep up with the phoenix too, but give that candy to the griffin and it's over.

What's the speed stat of your Griffin? Our faster wyverns are imprinting out @ 140% and then leveling over 400%+

Archived