Expert help from those who have hosted on server specs

CapnJudge

Expert help from those who have hosted on server specs

I have never hosted an ARK Server before

However I am very good with hardware, work IT in network admin, and can get this rolling NP. However without having done this before I would like to know if the equipment I have will suffice.

I plan to host ALL OF THE MAPS, cluster pop of -110, will these 6 devices suffice? or will I need more, or can I get away with less. Specs below

Xeon L5420x2

24GB DDR2-5300

240 GB SATA SSD

600MBPS Network speed (These devices have gigabit Ethernet ports)

I have 6 of these servers, and was thinking 1-2 maps hosted per server. What do you all think?

I have all official maps on a cluster that is publicly available.
Allow approx. 8GB RAM per map and allow 1 CPU Core/2 Threads per map.

The 7 maps and the server software occupy a directory that is 38GB in size, on a Windows 10 Pro PC.

Hosting the way you suggest will be fine, but...
1. You'll need a shared directory across the machines for the cluster to work.
2. 110 population is wildly optimistic!  Look at Battle Metrics: there are approx 76000 Ark servers available.  Steam Charts says there are approx 76000 people playing right now.  That's an average of 1 player per map.
3.  If you're hosting at home, then consider the electricity bill for those servers.  My server has a 550W PSU and is actually drawing 110W from the wall .  So roughly 2.5 "Units" of power per day = 40pence (UK) per day for me.

I wish you Good luck, and let us know how you get on ?

Xeon L5420x2

12 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

I have all official maps on a cluster that is publicly available.
Allow approx. 8GB RAM per map and allow 1 CPU Core/2 Threads per map.

The 7 maps and the server software occupy a directory that is 38GB in size, on a Windows 10 Pro PC.

Hosting the way you suggest will be fine, but...
1. You'll need a shared directory across the machines for the cluster to work.
2. 110 population is wildly optimistic!  Look at Battle Metrics: there are approx 76000 Ark servers available.  Steam Charts says there are approx 76000 people playing right now.  That's an average of 1 player per map.
3.  If you're hosting at home, then consider the electricity bill for those servers.  My server has a 550W PSU and is actually drawing 110W from the wall .  So roughly 2.5 "Units" of power per day = 40pence (UK) per day for me.

I wish you Good luck, and let us know how you get on ?

We already have a server up, and pop is growing rather quickly. we have 35-40 pop now (started with 10 about 3 weeks ago). We are renting a server with only 3 maps on it, and will need to upgrade it to do all 8 maps, but I think actual hardware would do a better job money and specs wise. 

The Xeon's are 2.5ghz 1333 MHz bus speed

These are 4 core processors and each server has 2 CPUs in it. Since they are a little less powerful I was thinking 3-4 cores per map to allow buffer. Does that sound good?

The Ark server doesn't spread a map over more than 2 Threads (1 Core), so there's no benefit to having more cores available.

I was getting severe lag with about 12 people at the same time on a single map (but I've since upgraded the server hardware ).  Each connected survivor will take some extra RAM and CPU, so you might want to monitor resource usage for a short time.

I don't have any experience of using VM's or Hosting services for Ark servers, so I can't guesstimate the benefit of actual HW vs VM's.

You've got a good population there (better than mine) and if Genesis is as popular as Valguero, it will probably grow when the new map is released.

31 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

The Ark server doesn't spread a map over more than 2 Threads (1 Core), so there's no benefit to having more cores available.

I was getting severe lag with about 12 people at the same time on a single map (but I've since upgraded the server hardware ).  Each connected survivor will take some extra RAM and CPU, so you might want to monitor resource usage for a short time.

I don't have any experience of using VM's or Hosting services for Ark servers, so I can't guesstimate the benefit of actual HW vs VM's.

You've got a good population there (better than mine) and if Genesis is as popular as Valguero, it will probably grow when the new map is released.

We will be releasing Genesis the moment it is out so we are excited. We have been very fortunate for our pop, but don't see more than 10 people on a single map at a time. So it sounds like ark does not really have the setup for more than one cpu/2 threads use at the same time, which is unfortunate since that means high core power is better than multi-core. 

2 minutes ago, CapnJudge said:

We will be releasing Genesis the moment it is out so we are excited. We have been very fortunate for our pop, but don't see more than 10 people on a single map at a time. So it sounds like ark does not really have the setup for more than one cpu/2 threads use at the same time, which is unfortunate since that means high core power is better than multi-core. 

I often wondered if the Ark server was written deliberately as a single core application so it would play nice on a server farm.  
You're correct about it benefitting more from core power (speed) than multi-processing.

It's super unfortunate cause I just don't see 2.5GHz being enough for a map when there are 10-12 people on it most of the time....

7 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

I often wondered if the Ark server was written deliberately as a single core application so it would play nice on a server farm.  
You're correct about it benefitting more from core power (speed) than multi-processing.

Archived