Can we talk about WC port changing...

Jemcrystal

...and the confusion it causes.  Unless you visit the forums and make yourself look like an idiot, subjecting yourself to possible trolling, or accidentally figure it out on your own there is no warning or way of knowing when WC changes your server's port number.

We have this elaborate setup in the Search that keeps track of our player characters worlds where we have a body in it.  Which is kinda annoying because there is no way to clear this record of servers we have visited or remove our bodies from that server ourselves.  The best advice I got on this was make sure you die and log out dead.  But it still remains recorded in the server search.  

And then the Favorite in Search.  Which is what I always use as it is very helpful.

Until your server port number gets changed.

Then your server just vanishes.  You are left with the confusion of why?  

If you have Battlemetrics bookmarked you go there and see your server is dead.  

Now comes the insightful part where you have to figure out your port has been moved by WC.  You can no longer get to your server using the Game's Search.  You MUST use battlemetrics to get into your new server port.  It does not show up in the Game Search until you have used Battlemetric's Connect.  Ummmm.  That is not good.  What about the players who don't know about Battlemetrics?  What if it does not occur to you to use Battlemetric's search parameter to find the new server port and you stay confused because you bookmarked it and now your server appears dead?

How does this affect the people on consoles?  At least being a pc player I have Battlemetric's Search.

Couldn't there be a way to warn people that their server-world's port has been changed?  And not force them to visit forums or figure it out on their own good luck chump?

And why does the new server port not show up in the Game's Search?  Until you have connected using an outside the game way.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, PertySlick said:

I have never gotten a favorited server to appear in the "Favorites" filter.  Xbox and Win10 if it matters.  Would be really nice to be able to use that filter.  They show as starred when I search the master list, but the filter shows nothing.

Used to work back in the day. They broke it and never fixed it.

56 minutes ago, Jemcrystal said:

WC changes your server's port number

It's not the port number, it's the IP number. Maybe a detail to you but it could be very significant if you're trying to search for it.

And this doesn't help you, but I don't think it's the server owners' fault. Whenever I restart my router, my IP changes and most of the time my router restarts are due to a problem so that I don't really have a choice. Every time that happens, my friends who are playing with me on the server can't find it in their favourites anymore.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Jemcrystal said:

We have this elaborate setup in the Search that keeps track of our player characters worlds where we have a body in it.  Which is kinda annoying because there is no way to clear this record of servers we have visited or remove our bodies from that server ourselves.  The best advice I got on this was make sure you die and log out dead.  But it still remains recorded in the server search. 

In fact, there is no elaborated setup. ARK just query your Steam's data (Steam → View → Servers). The "My Survivors" filter do not track servers you have a character on, it simply list your "History" tab. Just right click on any server in your Steam's browser and remove it from there and it will be gone in-game.

Now comes the insightful part where you have to figure out your port has been moved by WC.  You can no longer get to your server using the Game's Search.  You MUST use battlemetrics to get into your new server port.  It does not show up in the Game Search until you have used Battlemetric's Connect.  Ummmm.  That is not good.  What about the players who don't know about Battlemetrics?  What if it does not occur to you to use Battlemetric's search parameter to find the new server port and you stay confused because you bookmarked it and now your server appears dead?

How does this affect the people on consoles?  At least being a pc player I have Battlemetric's Search.

This sounds like a scripted ad for that site... ?

Couldn't there be a way to warn people that their server-world's port has been changed?  And not force them to visit forums or figure it out on their own good luck chump?

IP/Port changes are rare. They only happens when they are moving an instance to new hardware or in this specific case, a global reorganization after the Legacy shutdowns.

And why does the new server port not show up in the Game's Search?  Until you have connected using an outside the game way.

It shows. You just have to filter all servers instead of searching in your favorites/history.

3 hours ago, Jemcrystal said:

...and the confusion it causes.  Unless you visit the forums and make yourself look like an idiot, subjecting yourself to possible trolling, or accidentally figure it out on your own there is no warning or way of knowing when WC changes your server's port number.

And then the Favorite in Search.  Which is what I always use as it is very helpful.

Until your server port number gets changed.

Then your server just vanishes.  You are left with the confusion of why?  

Simple fix. Search the server again on browser or battlemetrics. Server appearing dead on battlemetrics is their sites problem. It does not remove old servers from their list.

Archived