Questions about transferring maps and private servers

Heethar

Questions about transferring maps and private servers

Hey.. hope nobody minds I have two kinda related questions. 

I currently play Ark on PS4. It was cheap to pick up a disk copy and try it it out. I love it.

I'm getting a gaming PC and want to start playing Ark on PC, and will likely get the season pass so I get all of the content released so far. 

My first question--on single player, do I HAVE to beat the Island, and then Scorched, to play on Abberation? Or can I Ark-hop but just miss the story? 

If I decide to rent a small server so I can play with my friends, how does that work in terms of map access? If I have the "full" game and host the server with say, Nitrado, can my friends access all the maps if they're playing with me on my server? 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Heethar said:

I'm getting a gaming PC and want to start playing Ark on PC, and will likely get the season pass so I get all of the content released so far. 

The season pass for the currently released Expansion Packs (Scorched Earth, Aberration, Extinction) is listed as N/A on Steam. Not sure what it looks like on Windows Store, but just keep in mind that the season pass might not be available. The other Season pass, ARK: Genesis Season Pass, only contains the two so far unreleased packs.

My first question--on single player, do I HAVE to beat the Island, and then Scorched, to play on Abberation? Or can I Ark-hop but just miss the story? 

The story goes The Island -> Scorched Earth -> Aberration -> Extinction -> Genesis, Part 1* -> Genesis Part 2*, but there is nothing preventing you from playing the maps in any order if you don't care about getting the story in order, or any of the other maps official (The Center, Ragnarok, Valguero) or unofficial if you don't care about the story.

* Not out yet

If I have the "full" game and host the server with say, Nitrado, can my friends access all the maps if they're playing with me on my server? 

Your friends can only play with you on the DLC maps if they also have the DLC. However, if you go to the DLC maps and bring back DLC specific dinos or items, they can use them. They are just unable to play the maps.

Archived