Linux server (server, not client) updates always behind. Should I worry ?

Elgar

Linux server (server, not client) updates always behind. Should I worry ?

Hi,

I rent a dedicated server and my host (LogicServers) uses the Linux version for my server. I don't have control about choosing Windows or Linux. Of course, I use the Windows version of the client, like my friends who play on my server.

No problem so far, and the service provided by my host is great.

But I noticed that the updates for Linux servers are always behind the updates announced in the changelog. And right now, my server version is even behind my client version : my server is v304.451 while my client is v304.453 and official servers are v304.455.

I can play, since differences between server and client versions are only in the last digits. But I start to worry because what will happen if my client gets a major update and my Linux server will get it only days later ? I suppose my friends and I won't be able to play. For admins in my case, do you remember if such a situation happened before ?

Last question, should I ask my host to switch to the Windows version ? Are there any advantage (stability, performance) for choosing Linux server over Windows server ?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

25 minutes ago, Tox said:

my client won't update and is falling behind, i do not know what to do we have a similar problem

Sorry but not the same problem. Your problem is you can't update your client.

My thread is about my server, not my client. I have no issue updating my server (or my client by the way) : my issue is that devs don't release updates for Linux servers at the same pace than for Windows servers and clients, leading to having my Linux server being behind my Windows client.

I wouldn't worry about it. They always keep the Windows and Linux servers working with the Windows client, there would be complaints otherwise. The server versions are also normally just server features, so being behind shouldn't have any affect besides not having the latest server side features.

To answer your second question. Linux is free and normally more stable as a server host. That's the reason most hosting uses it. You can probably find a Windows based host if you absolutely need one, but the cost is normally more because of the Windows licencing.

They skip doing Linux builds whenever they please. It's happening now. Linux servers are stuck at 304.451 while official/Windows are at 304.457. This leaves out the anti-mesh false positive fixes and at least one bug that allows people to crash maps at will --- actually, it just makes the maps completely unresponsive, it's not an actual crash so they don't get automatically restarted by systemd if run as services. You have to notice that the map can't be connected to then do a force halt and restart by hand.

I can't find any info on how far behind Linux builds lag or how often it happens.

Archived