New content vs quality of life

Dago8b4u

I would like to put this to a vote. Would you like wildcard to keep releasing new broken maps every few months, or would you rather see them take some time and fix the game?
    So I’ve been a dedicated ark player since Pre-release. Haven’t missed a day sadly. I've been through it all. From floating baby Dino’s, the first Halloween event where bats would wipe any tames you didn’t have indoors, to the invisible Dino glitch. I could keep going but I don’t know how much room I have here lol. Ark is a great game imo. Ty wildcard. The concept of the game is beyond amazing. But sadly, it is beyond broken. It seems like the more content you add, and the more patches you release to fix the game (Or exploits), the more content you break. 

My breaking point was today. I’ve dealt with a lot of messed up stuff in this game, but now you have completely broken bees. What end game player doesn’t rely on sweet cakes to feed their berry eaters during a boss fight? Or to keep their snails producing cp? So I decided to make my greenhouse bigger on my main server, the center map. I had to move my beehives for the expansion. No prob right? Wrong. Demolished a hive to get my bee/hive back. Poof. Gone. Tried 2 more times. Figured it was just another wildcard glitch. Nope. You can’t obtain a bee or hive from an existing non-exploited bee hive anymore. Ok. No problem. I have a few bees still podded between my 6 maps. Nope. They disappear when you throw them out too. So now I’m down 3 hives, and about 8 podded bees. Ok. Still not a big deal. I’ve come to expect this from this game. I’ll just go tame more. Nope. So, everyone knows taming bees can be glitchy in ark. Most times they will glitch in the stack of 4-6 hives that spawn ontop of each other. Long story short. I’ve spent 2 nights trying to tame a bee. Either they glitch in an existing hive, where you can’t get the feed prompt to show up. Or they get out and fly up in the sky where you can’t tame them, or they do get out on the ground but still can’t feed them. But the newest one I experienced tonight. The bee got glitched in the hive as usual. Actually got a feeding prompt. Awesome. Finally got a bee. Nope. As soon as it finished taming......poof gone. Naming prompt came up like it usually does when you tame something, then disappeared immediately. Spent a few mins looking around for my bee. Nowhere to be found. Checked my log. Says I tamed a lvl 7 queen bee. Also says “anti-meshing destroyed my bee”. DILO. Really? So I can’t pick up my current hives. I can’t unpod my existing bees. And I can’t tame one. 
     My point being. Wildcard, please put some time into the game itself before focusing on new content. This game is a negotiation at best to play. Takes a lot of patience  and tons of time. There is so much broken in the game, and if you want to keep your fan base, you need to make the game playable, instead of just bigger. 

CAE62996-A8E5-400E-B31C-2158795B9265.jpeg

yea the hives have been glitched for a month if not more, but that taming with the Kill zones for anti meshing makes me wonder what else that is going to happen with, esp large things like gigas or bronto.  If they aren't trapped you can't tell them where to fall so if a bronto falls in the woods and meshes with a tree will it poof when finally tamed?

I agree. Ty for the comment. I’m just fed up with the game right now. There is so much to fix, yet all they seem to focus on is new maps. I’m not even thinking about genesis. My final let down was val. Yes. Fan based map I know. But a huge disappointment. I’m just tired of fighting with the game to play it. It’s improved since pre-release, but honestly hasn’t improved much. For as much dedication as this game takes, the community deserves improved gameplay. 

1 hour ago, Dago8b4u said:

I would like to put this to a vote. Would you like wildcard to keep releasing new broken maps every few months, or would you rather see them take some time and fix the game?
    So I’ve been a dedicated ark player since Pre-release. Haven’t missed a day sadly. I've been through it all. From floating baby Dino’s, the first Halloween event where bats would wipe any tames you didn’t have indoors, to the invisible Dino glitch. I could keep going but I don’t know how much room I have here lol. Ark is a great game imo. Ty wildcard. The concept of the game is beyond amazing. But sadly, it is beyond broken. It seems like the more content you add, and the more patches you release to fix the game (Or exploits), the more content you break. 

My breaking point was today. I’ve dealt with a lot of messed up stuff in this game, but now you have completely broken bees. What end game player doesn’t rely on sweet cakes to feed their berry eaters during a boss fight? Or to keep their snails producing cp? So I decided to make my greenhouse bigger on my main server, the center map. I had to move my beehives for the expansion. No prob right? Wrong. Demolished a hive to get my bee/hive back. Poof. Gone. Tried 2 more times. Figured it was just another wildcard glitch. Nope. You can’t obtain a bee or hive from an existing non-exploited bee hive anymore. Ok. No problem. I have a few bees still podded between my 6 maps. Nope. They disappear when you throw them out too. So now I’m down 3 hives, and about 8 podded bees. Ok. Still not a big deal. I’ve come to expect this from this game. I’ll just go tame more. Nope. So, everyone knows taming bees can be glitchy in ark. Most times they will glitch in the stack of 4-6 hives that spawn ontop of each other. Long story short. I’ve spent 2 nights trying to tame a bee. Either they glitch in an existing hive, where you can’t get the feed prompt to show up. Or they get out and fly up in the sky where you can’t tame them, or they do get out on the ground but still can’t feed them. But the newest one I experienced tonight. The bee got glitched in the hive as usual. Actually got a feeding prompt. Awesome. Finally got a bee. Nope. As soon as it finished taming......poof gone. Naming prompt came up like it usually does when you tame something, then disappeared immediately. Spent a few mins looking around for my bee. Nowhere to be found. Checked my log. Says I tamed a lvl 7 queen bee. Also says “anti-meshing destroyed my bee”. DILO. Really? So I can’t pick up my current hives. I can’t unpod my existing bees. And I can’t tame one. 
     My point being. Wildcard, please put some time into the game itself before focusing on new content. This game is a negotiation at best to play. Takes a lot of patience  and tons of time. There is so much broken in the game, and if you want to keep your fan base, you need to make the game playable, instead of just bigger. 

Yea facts everything has been so glitchly lately after last micro update I know getting meshed into the map by drakes on any tame and cant tame a single bee without deespawn 

getting really tired of all the b.s. they keep doing without fixing anything people kiting on pve offical servers on extinction and then they don't care or tamming things and they disappear the basilisks could only be tammed on certain an servers for Halloween thanksgiving and Christmas and now there still glitched up

I would vote to see content remain stable and ensure stable releases of the new content above all else. It sounds like WC has acknowledged this to an extent with the pushback on Genesis and that's fine. I too have seen a ton of the bugs and annoying situations that have caused disasters in bases (remember when the introduction of element veins wiped bases on Extinction?) It feels like the new patches focus on fixing some things but there's absolute disregard for other things when fixing those, and in doing so, creates a loop of problems. Content patches should probably be tested internally a bit more before they release or even opt to put some servers into a beta branch with changes; I'm sure a lot of the community would not mind testing such things by virtue of being eager to try new things. I hope that another Q&A comes up that I can attend; while I may only get one question to throw in to see if they're aware of particular longstanding issues, it would at least be something I guess.

On another note, one thing you can add to things being broken; if your character is max level you can't get experience for Reaper Kings. This right here is pretty big since Reapers are one of the big powerhouses of Aberration and it detriments those trying to get said power to compete with those who have them already. I could list many more but this isn't the topic for that.

tl;dr - Stable content before new content.

12 hours ago, ABYAY said:

On another note, one thing you can add to things being broken; if your character is max level you can't get experience for Reaper Kings. This right here is pretty big since Reapers are one of the big powerhouses of Aberration and it detriments those trying to get said power to compete with those who have them already. 

Wow.. did not know that.  My aber toon has been max for a few months... Can't imagine how grumpy I would have been had I been able to get reaper preg during one of the events LOL

21 hours ago, Dago8b4u said:

Bees have been broken for looooong time.

10 hours ago, FreelancerKnux said:

Yeah I just want new maps at this point bugs are just part of the game and I want new content.

kinda my stance to all of this at this point, there is some stuff in this game that will never be fixed and tbh i'm used to most of the smaller bugs after 2300 hours in this game, while being lucky enough to not experience the huge gamebreaking ones, so aslong as the pc version of the game doesn't break on my small private server, the devs can produce dlc after dlc for all i care lol 

On 1/31/2020 at 5:19 AM, ABYAY said:

On another note, one thing you can add to things being broken; if your character is max level you can't get experience for Reaper Kings. This right here is pretty big since Reapers are one of the big powerhouses of Aberration and it detriments those trying to get said power to compete with those who have them already. I could list many more but this isn't the topic for that.

tl;dr - Stable content before new content.

Can you equip a chibi to bypass your level cap?

Personally I would prefer patches and TLC's, but you can't sell those.

Also I have to admit I'm looking forward to hear about all new hilarious  bugs and exploits players will discover. Can already see pvp balance being screwed once again and then appropriate tweaks turn new features, items and dinos into vanity junk on pve.

The end is nigh!

I guess I should’ve specified Fes. Didn’t think about other game modes. I play on an official server. I guess if I could bypass bugs by command spawning things I wouldn’t care as much. But when you have to waste a week of gameplay to find the magical unglitched Dino you need to tame, It gets old fast. Or when you throw out a giga you spent 2+ weeks raising, and it goes poof right in front of you. Or god forbid you port your fav event wyvern you spent days/weeks looking for, to find it lost in the great ark abyss.  How about valguero? Hahaha. Wyvern and golems that are undeployable now. Omg the list goes on. These are major issues that need addressed before they pile on a new set of problems that come with a new map.  

I do have to give wc credit tho. They have been pretty good at answering tickets and resolving most issues. Except for the major ones. How many people lost entire servers when they decided to disable transfers for that week or two? I’m lucky enough to have multiple toons and a few tribemates. So our servers were able to be refreshed. The poor small tribes or single players. They lost everything

16 minutes ago, deedoubleu said:

Personally I would prefer patches and TLC's, but you can't sell those.

Also I have to admit I'm looking forward to hear about all new hilarious  bugs and exploits players will discover. Can already see pvp balance being screwed once again and then appropriate tweaks turn new features, items and dinos into vanity junk on pve.

The end is nigh!

Hahaha. Cough cough rip managamarrrr

They have different people working on new content from the people working on bug fixes. coding isn't like lifting things, more people does not equal better outcome.  There is a sweet spot where you reach maximum efficiency and adding more people makes things worse or has diminishing returns. 

This topic shows up regularly.  Thing is, they could fix everything if they went back down and reinvented the game but people would lose progress and they already said it was easier to just release new content.  You guys have already told them you would refuse to buy a brand new game, why would they put the work in for a brand new game?

21 hours ago, Dago8b4u said:

Can you equip a chibi to bypass your level cap?

Yes, should you get to a point where your character can get more max levels that is possible. However the issue is that I run a private server and adjusted the "additional" levels to require only 1 experience point per level. This might be a rare case for other servers where a character is fully maxed out on levels.

I should also add that getting more levels on my chibi is a nightmare because it keeps resetting even though it's supposed to be fixed. I got it to level 4, reset again, and I just gave up for now. Anyway, my report of this bug has its own thread by someone else so I don't want to derail the main post with my issue.

20 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

They have different people working on new content from the people working on bug fixes. coding isn't like lifting things, more people does not equal better outcome.  There is a sweet spot where you reach maximum efficiency and adding more people makes things worse or has diminishing returns. 

This topic shows up regularly.  Thing is, they could fix everything if they went back down and reinvented the game but people would lose progress and they already said it was easier to just release new content.  You guys have already told them you would refuse to buy a brand new game, why would they put the work in for a brand new game?

Thank you! I came in to make this point exactly. If you think you can just "move" programmers to the "fixing things" team from the "new content" team and that would make "fixing" things quicker/easier, you don't really understand how software development works...

What gets me, are the ignorant assumptions that the devs aren't ALREADY trying hard to fix things (Duh). Yes it helps to point out specific problems but to just bash Wildcard for being bad devs you (the generic you , I'm not addressing anyone specifically) have NO clue. With all the complexities of ARK it's simply amazing it works as well as it does. Wildcard deservers mad respect for bringing such an amazing thing like ARK into existence to begin with.

If "you" think you could do better, the Dev kit is available to download for free! It should only take a few hrs to figure it out and make a "better" game right???

29 minutes ago, Kyd said:

Thank you! I came in to make this point exactly. If you think you can just "move" programmers to the "fixing things" team from the "new content" team and that would make "fixing" things quicker/easier, you don't really understand how software development works...

What gets me, are the ignorant assumptions that the devs aren't ALREADY trying hard to fix things (Duh). Yes it helps to point out specific problems but to just bash Wildcard for being bad devs you (the generic you , I'm not addressing anyone specifically) have NO clue. With all the complexities of ARK it's simply amazing it works as well as it does. Wildcard deservers mad respect for bringing such an amazing thing like ARK into existence to begin with.

If "you" think you could do better, the Dev kit is available to download for free! It should only take a few hrs to figure it out and make a "better" game right???

Say it is and someone went on and did a better job on implementation of one of game mechanics or made new one? Now what? It would not affect official servers in any way.

S+ seems to be quite popular. Was around for a while before few elements from it got added to main game and a lot of it still doesn't work properly.

My problem with WC is not that their code is bad (I can't really judge it), but a lot of crap we all have to deal with everyday is not even bugs, but more of a poor design decision which are there because... reasons I guess. Another irritating thing is that too often even tiniest tweaks take months if not years to get sorted.

Devs probably don't deserve all the hate they are getting, but it would be naive to suggest they did everything right or even as good as it could have been done and players imagining and making up reasons to be mad because they just like to be frustrated all the time.

On 1/31/2020 at 2:46 AM, Dago8b4u said:

New maps, creatures and stuff make them money, bug fixing doesnt make them money or very little. 

i just wish gamers would be up for paying for a dlc that only fixed stuff, then these companies could put the effort into it. 

they have shareholders to answer too not just us. 

Archived