do beavers rebuild dams?

Janna3921

There have been a pair of beavers near my base.  Today when I was coming back home I saw what looked like two piles of wood.  Took me a moment to realize they were beaver dams.  To make a long story short, the beavers were killed, dams cleaned out and without  thinking the dams were torn down to get the wood.

It wasn't until later that I wondered, when the beavers re-spawn (it takes two or three days for that to happen) will they rebuild the dams?  It's the first time I have seen a dam since they showed up.  Would like to be able to rob them again; they had cement paste, pearls, rare flowers; and a lot of wood.  If I had left them alone, would they have filled them up again?  Of course, being able to rob them and not being attacked is two different things.  As soon as I got out of the raft and checked them out the beavers were out to get my hide instead of my getting their pelts.   

• Volunteer Moderator

building a little pen to put the beavers in will help you two fold--you wont have to kill them and wait for respawn and you can loot their dams unmolested. you need to fully "unload" their dams so they make more, i have left dams for days with just a little wood in them and the beavers never "reloaded" them. once the beavers have calmed down, let them out of their pen and they will make you more dams. good luck!!

in my single player game, i had a group of beavers at hidden lake. Soon enough, they started building dams. I took the paste, shrooms and flowers out of two of them using fly in - grab - run like hell-technique. Those dams didn't refill. I also tried to tame 2 of them but failed.

A lot later, i raided the rest of the dams and cleaned all from every material, making them vanish. I tamed one of the pack (the highest lvl i could find). After a considerable amount of time, there still were no new dams, so i killed the rest for fur.

For some reason, at that point they weren't all that interested any more in defending their buddies or me poking around in their dams (no aggro while at my first attempts, the whole tribe was mad at me), so maybe something was broken with that pack?! or did i tame their Alpha and so they were clueless what to do?

A new group has spawned since, and has built a lot of new dams right now. I left them alone so far, as i still have plenty of paste (lack of crystal being my problem).

hope that helps :)

• Volunteer Moderator

Do you know the river that starts in the NE of the map, just SW of Carnivore Island.

Head down that river, and you might find some at the first fall you come to.  Then, head down to where the right splits, and you might find some there.  Follow the river to the right(W/SW), and when you are SW of the Volcano, there is a wide area with a big rock in it, you can also find some there.

Finally, back in the NE, assuming it is not built up, check Hidden Lake.

In the south section of the map, around lat 85 long 56, if you have a map look for the peninsula there is a very tiny island there.  At that island is where I see the two beavers.  My base is just a bit past the island, heading north, just past that little point lat 82long 58 (approx) I'm going to do more exploring around the small rivers in that area and see if I can find more dams.  I will let everyone know what I find.

I am on single player, if that makes a difference.

Archived