Saddle Attachments

Jemcrystal

Suggestion

Saddle Attachments

You know how some saddles let your craft but there is no real good reason to.  By the time you have leveled up enough to craft one of these saddles you have already leveled up enough to have a base.  You do everything out of your base.  You do not need to craft while out and about.  You are just going to bring everything back to your base.  There is only one reason you might need to stay out and about and that is taming.  So you might use these saddles to craft a trap on the fly.  But probably not.  More likely you will craft everything you need for your preplanned trap back at your base.  So crafting saddles are kinda useless.

But if you had saddle attachments that would make your saddles do neater stuff like cooking or smelting so you don't have to return to base.   And at a low level this would be priceless to a beginner.  Solves the anxiety of looking for land right at the first and getting angry with all your server mates.  If you had a saddle attachment that let you cook instead of being forced to use the campfire which requires land placement.  

Give Saddle Attachments a decay timer like a tent.  However, I wish the tents decay timers would be increased.  They expire to soon.  Let the Saddle Attachments be found in low level sup drops.

Saddle Attachment ideas:  

Cooking

Small Range Turret

Alchemy

Smelting

12 replies to this server topic

Personally, I love the smithy saddles.

For one, crafting on the go. I know that technically you do can do that at your base as you stated, however not everyone has the opportunity to quickly run home, craft what they need and return to where they were. 

A second reason is line items. You can only place so many items in a smithy, yet a smithy saddles allows you to utilize the creatures line items - give you more space to store materials for crating. Because of this, unless I am fixing something - I actually do a large majority of my crafting from my creatures as opposed to the actual smithy bench. 

That said, I am still not against your idea. I would love to have additional saddle options or attachments. They could add more capabilities; such as a portable forge, preservering bin, etc. Or other things such as; additional weight, defence, speed, or help you move quieter when sneaking up on a creature. As an xbox player I do not have access to use mods to play with, but I know there are a few saddle mods out there have some cool and functional ideas. 

6 minutes ago, Castlerock said:

They are very cheap if u farm deep sea or desert crates. I prefer using a rock drake for late game, more useful than a wyvern, all my wyverns now rest in a cryofridge gathering dust( and xp).

It's time and resource consuming to build them, and they're generally slower and less mobile. And drake, wyvern, doesn't matter which- neither are a platform saddled creature.

Just now, Castlerock said:
13 minutes ago, TheEclipseee said:
It's time and resource consuming to build them, and they're generally slower and less mobile. And drake, wyvern, doesn't matter which- neither are a platform saddled creature.

I didnt say build them, its easy to farm the loot crates for them, got several asc and mc platform saddles from them.

And the point that they are still impractical for most people still stands. Regardless of how easy it is to get BPs, they are costly.

Just now, Castlerock said:

Loot crates got the actual platform saddle as well, not just their bps

Good point. However, the building of a base itself can also be expensive (and the base itself even after being built can be buggy). And the main issue for me at least, is mobility. Pretty much everything you can build on is slow, and so big it's hardly practical to, say, take it on mining or taming runs. The only exception to the mobility issue being a Quetzal- But still, speed. Much easier to just bring an argy, and you can work quickly and easily from there. Armour breaks? Make a new set. Sword breaks? Make a new one. Easier than going around on a cumbersome Quetz with difficulty protecting itself. It's more compact, fast, and mobile; one small dino instead of an entire base.

And of course, there's still the matter of high quality BPs and slot limits on smithies. Even if you don't have an interest in crafting items on the go, I have an argy with excessive weight leveling just for that purpose.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:54 PM, Jemcrystal said:

Saddle Attachments

-SNIPPYness-

MyDude, you wanna see what it should be?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1208371689

That, 100%.  It's a bit aside your idea of slotted saddles that accept various attachments to increase the versatility, but damn that mod has got some serious juice.

Regardless of where it comes from though, I agree that the "saddle and ride" aspect of ARK could benefit from some lovin'.  I think the Emporium mod covers it well because it is a preexisting idea.  With a bit of tweaking it could be implemented more simply than the balancing that would have to go into an all-dinos-are-mobile-autoturrets kind of mod.

Archived