Where to live?

Crymric

Where to live?

Hi!

I came back to Ark after a longer break and decided to start over. I chosed the Scorched Earth as home for my adventures as a starting point. 

SE is my favorite Ark, but after some weeks I just realised it's wont work well for my main base. Storms, breaking electronic, angry dragons. But I'll stay here as long as a achived my goal to kill the manticore. I play alone so it will take some time. ?

What do you think, what's the best Ark for a main base?

9 hours ago, Crymric said:

Where to live?

Hi!

I came back to Ark after a longer break and decided to start over. I chosed the Scorched Earth as home for my adventures as a starting point. 

SE is my favorite Ark, but after some weeks I just realised it's wont work well for my main base. Storms, breaking electronic, angry dragons. But I'll stay here as long as a achived my goal to kill the manticore. I play alone so it will take some time. ?

What do you think, what's the best Ark for a main base?

Either Rag, Island or Ex. Rag is biggest with the greatest access to a variety of tames; Island is best for grinding resources; and Extinction has easy Element access. Which one fits you best will depend on your personal goals, and whether you're playing PvE or PvP.

6 hours ago, TheEclipseee said:

Either Rag, Island or Ex. Rag is biggest with the greatest access to a variety of tames; Island is best for grinding resources; and Extinction has easy Element access. Which one fits you best will depend on your personal goals, and whether you're playing PvE or PvP.

Just to add my 2 cents ;) rag has the richest resources of all maps besides aberration for metal......in the sea there's thousands of crystal/obsidian nodes just not many ppl know about lol

Depends on a lot of variables.  Are we talking pve or pvp?  SP / unoff / official? 

Single Player - Borked.  Backup time consuming.  Lonely.  Cheaty.  Better to be on multiplayer:

I can't talk pvp so official pve -

TheIsland used to be the best place because of the explorer notes.  You could run naked at level one and get your character up pretty high just death porting around and leveling speed and stam.  I had all the artifacts memorized.  Getting around people's big laggy bases was hard but you could also use constructions to hide from raptors and carnos.  Good challenge.  But the explorer notes no long give xp.  Still, the island is the main map and functions.  Making friends who want to tribe up might be easier there if you are not into being a solo player.  

Ragnarok and Valguero are tied in usefulness.  It's the sheep.  Val has sheep sheep sheep sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.  But Rag is so easy to get what you want once you learn where everything is.  Both maps are so popular on official pve they are overpopulated.

TheCenter gives me vertigo.  It has less advantages and attracts higher level players.  Breeders end up living on TheCenter and can get lonely.  And chatty.  And giving of extra unwanted pets :D .  So if you are a polite mooch that might be your map.

Unofficial pve -

I'm a lazy crazy so I love Zelos where kibble comes from glowing red-blue-purple trees at night.  Zelos the mod map is my main base.  It's an abandon project so I do not recommend following me there.  Our MODS / Our Cluster

I also enjoyed Shigoislands but did not get along with the unofficial admin who ran it so left.

1 hour ago, Lycan187u said:

Just to add my 2 cents ;) rag has the richest resources of all maps besides aberration for metal......in the sea there's thousands of crystal/obsidian nodes just not many ppl know about lol

Oh, it's definitely rich. But I'm thinking accessibility. On Rag, it's all spread out everywhere, with only small amounts in any one location- good for starting out, there'll probably be some near your base- but not for large late-game projects. Whereas on Island, you can just go to one mountain and that's it.

27 minutes ago, Jemcrystal said:

Single Player - Borked.  Backup time consuming.  Lonely.  Cheaty.  Better to be on multiplayer:

(Primarily singleplayer here) Only cheaty if you choose to use commands lol (like any server admin). Backups don't take that long until you have a LOT of time in a singleplayer world (I'm talkin hundreds of hours), and even there n you can trim it down my deleting auto-backups. Just set one backup going as you pack up for the night, and done. And why would I be lonely, I have a couple thousand tames to keep me company? :D At least I don't have to worry about ping, getting DCed while I'm being attacked, logging on one morning to find everything I worked for for a month has been wiped, don't need to worry about cheaters glitching into my base, I can force a save whenever I download something from the Obelisk, minimising the risk of my stuff getting deleted; and, have complete control over every mod and setting to tweak it exactly how I like! And dinos food only starts to drop while I'm online, so you can go weeks of playing without having to feed anything but dinos you actively use. And everything is completely paused till you get back on, so if you wanna stop playing for a week? A month? A year? You can just forget about it and then come back whenever, without having to worry about logging on every so often to feed and renew structure decay.

And I can't really comment on loneliness- It bothers some people, it doesn't bother me. But that's what hosting in non-dedi is for! Get a friend over from their own singleplayer for a while!

Tl;Dr singleplayer's got its merits tho?

9 minutes ago, TheEclipseee said:

Oh, it's definitely rich. But I'm thinking accessibility. On Rag, it's all spread out everywhere, with only small amounts in any one location- good for starting out, there'll probably be some near your base- but not for large late-game projects. Whereas on Island, you can just go to one mountain and that's it.

All in one location  ;) just barely  anyone knows where it's at xD

Thank you for the answers, its helps alot. :)

It's official PvE

Ragnarok looks cool, but I'm afraid of its size. I dont think i can find a good base spots near to the better resources so the travel times could take some time. But its just theory ofc.

I spent like a thousend hours on the island and I'm looking for something new. :)

I play alone atm but Im really thinking about to get some survivor friend. I'm building my dino barn and its ridicolous grinding needs just too much for me. ?

10 minutes ago, Lycan187u said:

All in one location  ;) just barely  anyone knows where it's at xD

After looking over the resource map again, yeah, fair point. I mean, I myself wouldn't want to be mining in the ocean, I'm much more comfortable on an Argy/ Anky combo on the ground personally; but I do see your point.

Archived