Typical Boss Tames

Demigod

Typical Boss Tames

I do not have the tames to start taking on bosses, but I have a feeling I know pretty well what I should do when it comes to the three simple island ones, based on what I heave read and watched throughout this forum and YouTube. Please correct me if I'm wrong and any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

I know to have good saddles if they can be found and to usually include a Yutyrannous for courage roaring and a pig for healing. I know to stay away from the hole by the bridge in the Ape arena and I know to keep away from the lava in the dragon arena. Other than that, the most I know is:

Broodmother: Megatheriums
Ape: Rexes
Dragon: Therizinosaurs

I don't know anything about the other bosses and I'm not even 100% sure if this is the correct set-up for these bosses, but I've heard from people that herbivores won't die as quickly to the dragon, megatheriums have increased damage output and resistance to bugs, and rexes are just good in general. Anyone who is experienced that can correct me or give me additional information on the bosses would make preparations much easier, but I would like to know what I'm getting myself into before I do it. I will be continually looking up videos and researching further while hopefully gaining valuable feedback from the experienced members of this forum.

For the Island/SE/Center/Rag/Val bosses just go with Rexes or Therizs.  Megatheriums are the best for killing the broodmother, but she is not hard and the other two can also kill her if they can kill other bosses.  No reason to raise a whole team of boss dinos just for the easiest boss unless you just plan on farming that one boss for element.  While I have killed all those bosses with Rexes, I would recommend a theriz boss team for the ability to cake heal during fights.  Herbivores will automatically eat a veggie cake when their health is below 85%.  On a herbivore, a cake will heal 10% of HP up to 2100 HP.  To Min/Max cake healing, you level up your HP on your theriz to 21000 HP and the rest in melee .  Put a stack or two of cakes in each theriz's inventory before the fight.  If you solo the bosses, I recommend you ride the yut to do the buff roar and keep the pig following you on passive and passive healing so that you can move near the dinos to heal them and keep the pig somewhat out of harms way.  Level food on your daeodon.  Daeodon is not as capable of a fighter and best to just focus on healing with it.  If you pig keeps having 0 food at the end of the fight, put kibble in its inventory.  It is possible to quickly feed the pig stacks of kibble if it is ridden to restore food.  Make sure you learn to whistle your dinos and use tame groups on them to keep them out of the lava which you already know will be a problem.  If you have a team, put players on the Yut and Daeodon before the Theriz/Rex.  Daeodon rider can shoot while mounted, so give them a gun and lots of ammo.

For Aberration, if a group of 3+, it is Stegos with shotguns, all players with shoulder light pets, and whatever else you want to bring to the 20 dino cap.  The more players the easier that fight is.  For additional dinos, most bring Megas, Spinos, or even more Stegos.  These extra dinos are to help with tentacles and keep the reapers busy.  The extra dinos need to have lots of HP as they will not have a light pet buff when fighting reapers and will get hit hard.  You don't have to bring in other dinos to hit the cap, but most find it useful to limit the amount of stuff agro'd to the players.  Sometimes the extra dinos are getting in the way.  If it is a small group or solo, Drakes with shotguns and light pet for players.  Whatever else you want to hit the 20 dino cap.  Remember that light shoulder pets count towards the dino cap.

For Extinction, you have to tame titans and use them on the King Titan.  You can also breed a lot of Gigas and bring them into the fight to help out, but a lot of them may die.

5 hours ago, dv8ndie said:

For the Island/SE/Center/Rag/Val bosses just go with Rexes or Therizs.  Megatheriums are the best for killing the broodmother, but she is not hard and the other two can also kill her if they can kill other bosses.  No reason to raise a whole team of boss dinos just for the easiest boss unless you just plan on farming that one boss for element.  While I have killed all those bosses with Rexes, I would recommend a theriz boss team for the ability to cake heal during fights.  Herbivores will automatically eat a veggie cake when their health is below 85%.  On a herbivore, a cake will heal 10% of HP up to 2100 HP.  To Min/Max cake healing, you level up your HP on your theriz to 21000 HP and the rest in melee .  Put a stack or two of cakes in each theriz's inventory before the fight.  If you solo the bosses, I recommend you ride the yut to do the buff roar and keep the pig following you on passive and passive healing so that you can move near the dinos to heal them and keep the pig somewhat out of harms way.  Level food on your daeodon.  Daeodon is not as capable of a fighter and best to just focus on healing with it.  If you pig keeps having 0 food at the end of the fight, put kibble in its inventory.  It is possible to quickly feed the pig stacks of kibble if it is ridden to restore food.  Make sure you learn to whistle your dinos and use tame groups on them to keep them out of the lava which you already know will be a problem.  If you have a team, put players on the Yut and Daeodon before the Theriz/Rex.  Daeodon rider can shoot while mounted, so give them a gun and lots of ammo.

For Aberration, if a group of 3+, it is Stegos with shotguns, all players with shoulder light pets, and whatever else you want to bring to the 20 dino cap.  The more players the easier that fight is.  For additional dinos, most bring Megas, Spinos, or even more Stegos.  These extra dinos are to help with tentacles and keep the reapers busy.  The extra dinos need to have lots of HP as they will not have a light pet buff when fighting reapers and will get hit hard.  You don't have to bring in other dinos to hit the cap, but most find it useful to limit the amount of stuff agro'd to the players.  Sometimes the extra dinos are getting in the way.  If it is a small group or solo, Drakes with shotguns and light pet for players.  Whatever else you want to hit the 20 dino cap.  Remember that light shoulder pets count towards the dino cap.

For Extinction, you have to tame titans and use them on the King Titan.  You can also breed a lot of Gigas and bring them into the fight to help out, but a lot of them may die.

With decent theris leave the pig home and take extra theri instead. 

On 1/27/2020 at 2:15 PM, dv8ndie said:

Thank you for this! Very useful information.

Have any idea what the melee and health of most up-front tames should be in these bosses on the different difficulty levels? I've heard of people getting like 40k hp rexes and I was wondering how necessary those kinds of numbers are.

3 hours ago, Demigod said:

Have any idea what the melee and health of most up-front tames should be in these bosses on the different difficulty levels? I've heard of people getting like 40k hp rexes and I was wondering how necessary those kinds of numbers are.

For Stats get the best you can.  I mentioned Theriz stats before, but 30k HP and 700+ Melee for Rexes for Alpha bosses.  All your boss fighting dinos should be raised and have 100% imprints to gain the 20% stat bonus from imprints.  Just as important as your boss fight dinos stats, are the saddles they wear.  You need to mind wipe to full crafting skill and use focal chili when crafting those saddles.  Mitigating damage can make fights dramatically easier and let me say this again... Saddle stats are just as important as dino stats.  Try to get your saddle armor as close to or over 100.  You need more HP if you have worse saddles.  But the more HP you put into a dino, the less you can put into Melee.

Do the broodmother or monkey boss on Gamma for your first fight.  These are easy fights and after the first fight(s) on gamma you can evaluate if you are ready for Beta Versions or Gamma Dragon.  Check your dino status after the fights and ask your self some questions after the first fight(s)..... 

Did any dinos die or are any near death after Gamma?  Maybe you need better saddles and/or Stats before attempting beta.

Did you keep your pig healing all your dinos, or were some on the sides of the fight out of range?  Move around more during the fight to spread the healing. 

Is your daeodon out of food?  Pig stops healing when food hits zero.  Bring Kibble into the fight for it and force feed it stacks or find a better food stat daeodon.

Did you keep them all Yut Buffed the whole fight?  Same as the pig. 

Did you keep them away from the fall to their death bridge in the monkey fight?  Keep them on passive, et it come to you at the spawn point, and then order attack.  Don't be overly aggressive.

Did you leave any Dinos on passive and they didn't do anything all fight?  Use a Tame group for just your Rex/Theriz, whistle attack target.

Where any on ignore group whistle that shouldn't be?   Other than your pig/yut you want all your other dinos fighting.

Did you keep harvest resources enabled and now some are overweight and can't move and maybe were unable to participate in doing dmg during the end of the fight?  Victim Item loot should be enabled and Harvest Resources disabled.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:19 PM, Demigod said:

I did boss fights for the first time last week on official prim +. I had rexes with around 15k hp and 900 melee with mostly 124 def saddles (been grinding swamp cave and used a mindwipe to get all points in crafting skills before I made the saddles.
Plus Yuty with 18k hp and 4.2k stam and Pig with almost 30k food both with approx 100 def saddles.
The fights against Gamma Brood and Mega were jokes. Just got the rexes to attack then all done in 2 minutes maximum.

I ended up getting too confident... I tried to fight gamma dragon in the same configuration and everything went down for me (back to the drawing and farming board), but I think mostly cause I was a noob. My mistakes were the following :
I entered the arena while my rexes were on neutral instead of passive. When they tried to get to the boss after the first fire ball it took me some times to realize they were going all over the arena and some went into lava, some went ouside whistling range.
Then I got a bit unlucky, as a rex that came to defend me while fighting the adds on the side got stuck into my Yuti and the for a little while was note able to courage roar on the rest of them.
I panicked a bit after that as my first rexes died so I went free for all, basically stopped to care about the lava and just whisttled attack.

I ended up loosing all but the dragon was 1/4 of life. So I'm pretty sure with  better dino management and composure I would have killed it with such rexes.

Now I'm trying to raise Theri army as I'm a bit scared to retry and screw once again. Plus, I went on tek cave with a friend and we ascended while he had only 9 theris and a Yuty plus me on a rex. On that trip, Overseers took two times the apparence of the dragon and I'm not sure that my rexes would have appreciated. While these 9 theris handled the fight like real champs and none died (I think around 21k hp and 700 melee).

So I'd go Rexes and Theris and maybe bring 50/50 on overseers. Riding a Rex makes cleaning the tek cave super easy on gamma. Just need to watch out for microraptors.

Here are my two cents. Hope it helps you on your quest fellow survivor.

Rockwell can be done w/ stegos, karkinos, or ankylosaurus. or all 3.  We usually use a mix of drake riders and stegos.

Manticore you want to use rexes as well but you would probalby not want to do it on SE, many people have problems w/ it never landing and failing because of time, and shotgunning it while it's flying gives you no element.  Best to get that credit on another map where you will probalby use a mix of zino and rexes and or rhinos.

38 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

Rockwell can be done w/ stegos, karkinos, or ankylosaurus. or all 3.  We usually use a mix of drake riders and stegos.

Manticore you want to use rexes as well but you would probalby not want to do it on SE, many people have problems w/ it never landing and failing because of time, and shotgunning it while it's flying gives you no element.  Best to get that credit on another map where you will probalby use a mix of zino and rexes and or rhinos.

It flies so high on SE because you're supposed to use fliers against it.

1 hour ago, Zane2030 said:

It flies so high on SE because you're supposed to use fliers against it.

As long as I’ve played , manticore hasn’t awarded element once killed while flying.  I bred an army of argents for it only to find out there was no reward in it. 

He does land, players who are successful use less rexes, keep them far out around the outside edges where it wouldnt' land anyways, and keep one rider out in the open as a target for it to land by.   But, a player who's new to doing the boss fight there shouldn't go it alone w/out someone on hand who has been successful at it.

As long as I’ve played , manticore hasn’t awarded element once killed while flying.  I bred an army of argents for it only to find out there was no reward in it. 
He does land, players who are successful use less rexes, keep them far out around the outside edges where it wouldnt' land anyways, and keep one rider out in the open as a target for it to land by.   But, a player who's new to doing the boss fight there shouldn't go it alone w/out someone on hand who has been successful at it.
I did it once with argents but i rmb getting the ele, i doubt it landed during the kill as it was always flying. Was long ago so cant remember exactly.
I usually leave my rexes spread out around the center of arena, he lands enough times that way.

Archived