Ark Server Manager Help? Character Cannot Transfer To Server.

Traffalger

Ark Server Manager Help? Character Cannot Transfer To Server.

Greetings, I run a couple private (g-portal paid servers) that my friends and I play on.  I have a primary one we all use and then have a secondary to load up other maps if there’s something we want from it or simply a secondary map just to transfer to.  Well my sub is expiring on my second sever and am trying to set up a private home on using Ark Server Manager.  This being on a separate computer at my house not the one I normally play ARK on.

I set up all the options. Set up port forwarding on my router and firewall.  Set up the cluster ID and checked and unchecked all the boxes I could find relating to allowing players and dinos to transfer to the server.  Then boot it up. 

In steam, upon boot I can see that the server exists via my IP address. (others can see the server as well)  IN game I can also see the server and it gives me the option to create a character on the map. 

When I try to transfer an existing character TOO this server it starts off well, but quickly goes south.  The maps loads, then I can select which bed/location I want to log into.  From there it loads a few seconds then sends me to the character creation screen.  There the ONLY option is it wants me to create a new survivor.  (I do not want a new survivor I want my existing survivor transferred there.)

Does anyone have any ideas what could possibly be the problem here?  ALL of the videos I’ve watched do not offer any type of solutions.  They just talk about port forwarding on the router and firewall.  I am at a loss of what to try next.  Any help would be appreciated.   

1 hour ago, Larkfields said:

1. What port numbers have you used for the maps ?

2. Have you specified a clusterID and a cluster directory for the maps?  These should be the same for all maps.

Server Port of 7777 (I have forwarded both 7777, and 7778) and Query port of 27015.  Both of these have added rules in my Firewall and Router under TCP and UDP. 

The Cluster ID is the same (and I can see the server in the in-game list as being clustered and active) for all maps on my cluster.  Comprising of 2 G-Portal servers and 1 Private home hosted server on a seperate computer than I play ARK on.

I do not believe I specified an "alternate save directory name" as it said optional, could that have anyhitng to do with it?  When I log back into my main Valg server I can redownload my character and everyhthing is there.  But if I try to log into my rag server the ONLY option is to create a character.  Its acting like it can't move the character but everyhting regarding transfering characters, items, and dinos is allowed. 

You need to have a different AltSaveDirectory for each map, otherwise survivor and tribe files can get messed up between the maps.

Character, dino and item transfers across the cluster are operated via files that get saved in the Cluster Directory  ( for example  -ClusterDirOverride=/ClusterDataDir and -clusterid=mycluster123 ) 

If you're trying to operate a cluster between G-Portal AND your home based server, then you have to find a way to share a directory (for the cluster) between the two servers.  I believe people have managed this, but I also believe they had to overcome issues, lag, and uptime between the servers.  

Thanks for that!  So now I Likely know why this is having issues.  I wonder which folders it is that need syncing between the online servers and the hosted ones.  

I’ve found a few references to this on the ASM forums.  Some talk about using google drive or Dropbox but so far no mention of the actual folders.  

Thank you, I appreciate the response.  

7 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

It's the folder created by -ClusterDirOverride=/ClusterDataDir and -clusterid=mycluster123

For example: the above options would create /ClusterDataDir/mycluster123

Thanks I missed that you had already gave me the info I was looking for.  

Now that gives me a few ideas to try to see how/if it works.  

Overall it sounds like most of the solutions people have tried don’t always work.  It might be easier to move all my servers to the local machine once my G-Portal subscriptions run out.  

• 11 months later...

Did you find a solution to this problem Traffagler? My friends and I are on a cluster on G-Portal and are in the same issue. Its with Genesis. We can transfer to every other map and back but this one map we cannot transfer out without it deleting our character it seems and we cannot use ark data. And if we try to transfer in we are made to create a new character. But can still download the character on the other maps just not on Genesis. 

Archived