Safest Map to Survive On

CIockedOut

Safest Map to Survive On

I’ve been in and out of Ark since the release. Every time I try to get back into it I put at least 3 days of grinding in, and then I get wiped. This has happened every time I’ve played. I’ve never been able to build up enough to finally enjoy the game. Most I’ve ever gotten is a full metal base with a couple turrets and probably 1 pteranodon. I just need a good map with the least amount of people and some safe spots to live. I just wanna enjoy the game. 

I see posts like this all the time. Since I don't want to write an essay, short answer with problem and solution, so high efficiency here.
Problem: You're playing on an official server. There's going to be those trash-hards who go around wiping the new players off the map.
Solution: Unofficial PvP servers (where the communities are often much less toxic.) or unofficial PvE, where it's often much less of a grind to get anywhere.
Overview: ARK takes a long time to get anywhere. Official servers are very grindy. There often is no "safe" spot to confidently stay hidden in. You need to be at your machine all the time to monitor what exactly is going on, and to farm resources. You need people to play the game with, so you can increase your chances of survival against larger groups of players (which ARK is notorious for). This isn't even touching the subject of mega clans that commonly abuse glitches and exploits to their advantage.

Many ways to approach this. I’ll tell you my thoughts and others may suggest things I didn’t know. 

Your two biggest challenges are diplomacy and detection. To build up in this game on official you need to master at least one of these. 

Diplomacy is obvious and yet hard achieve. Finding a server with a alpha that is strong and speaks your language is not the hard part. The hard part is trust. Those raiders that hit you hit them on the daily times 10! So they will assume you are a raider. Guilty until proven innocent. Build trust by asking permission before building in a spot and if approved staying there. Offering to farm for them esp if they recently got hit does this as well. But most importantly leave if they straight up tell you to go. Don’t complain about it pick another server and repeat.

What server maps are best for the diplomacy approach? Ones that alphas will put their bases on ie Island Aberration Center maybe extinction definitely not rag.

Ill post on the next aspect, detection in another post when I get a chance. 

1 hour ago, Level4Gaming said:

I see posts like this all the time. Since I don't want to write an essay, short answer with problem and solution, so high efficiency here.
Problem: You're playing on an official server. There's going to be those trash-hards who go around wiping the new players off the map.
Solution: Unofficial PvP servers (where the communities are often much less toxic.) or unofficial PvE, where it's often much less of a grind to get anywhere.
Overview: ARK takes a long time to get anywhere. Official servers are very grindy. There often is no "safe" spot to confidently stay hidden in. You need to be at your machine all the time to monitor what exactly is going on, and to farm resources. You need people to play the game with, so you can increase your chances of survival against larger groups of players (which ARK is notorious for). This isn't even touching the subject of mega clans that commonly abuse glitches and exploits to their advantage.

Thank you for the suggestions. One more thing. Do you think it’s worth going into an old server that’s on like day 20,000? I see a lot of them with little to no players.

You can fit a bed, smithy, forge and a couple of mortar and pestles into a 1x1. There are videos on how to do this. A lot of people won't even bother blowing a 1x1. Stone is fine. Forget about turrets. Putting up turrets is like waving a big flag saying 'come raid me'. Keep your tames cryoed and hidden in a purlovia. Don't waste any of your time attempting to build up a base. Just stay hidden, explore, expand your network of 1x1 boxes and purlovias. And gank everyone you find. That's about the only way to have fun as a solo player. Look for high population servers and go camp at an obelisks for ez loot. Stuff like that is the only way to have fun solo. Building up just leads to sadness. 

If you really want to build up a little then aberration is probably your safest option. There are a lot of very sneaky rat holes to hide in, build 3 or more hidden bases and keep your stuff distributed among them. If you can get drake eggs, then tame some basilisks. Their high base weight makes them superior to purlovias. The absolute best way to hide stuff that I can think of is on a buried weight reaper deep in the radiation zone. 

TLDR; don't build up, build backups for backups, keep your valuables and tames buried in purlovias or basilisks. 

Detection:

Detection is a concept you must master if diplomacy has failed or if the time and effort isn’t for you. 

Detection can be broken down in three parts: Base Storage and Self.

Your base must not just be hidden but must have redundancy in term of more than one base on the map. Now this where you will find different approaches that players will disagree about. Some do small 1x1 bases others like to use small cave bases. I like to build small boats and spread them out over the sea and mesh into terrain. These bases will be you crafting centers but shouldn’t be used for storage.

Storage of raw mats should be kept in purlovia or argies flown up into the skybox top. Be aware purlovia can be found with raiders carrying a Parasaur in argie or dragon talons. Sometimes server resets will make purlovia pop out of the ground. I prefer argies myself but both work with some but acceptable losses.

Self is the concept of staying away from busy areas with your character knowing where to get resources effectively off the beaten path. 

For this method best maps are rag ab and center. Stay away from island and extinction. Not sure about valg.

Use creator mode in single player to find a hidden place you wouldn't think to build. 

Build as small as possible like mentioned in the above comments...

Don't build in bear caves/pearl caves or any YouTube video spots 

Don't keep tames at your base unless they are in cryopods 

Never log out in your base. Kill yourself before you quit the game 

Build multiple small bases. 

Use wooden storage boxes hidden underwater with the essentials to get started again if you get raided. 

Don't trust anyone you don't know we'll with the location of your base. 

Don't upload items at the Ob use drops

Build Any farms and crops in a different place to your base 

15 hours ago, CIockedOut said:

Safest Map to Survive On

I’ve been in and out of Ark since the release. Every time I try to get back into it I put at least 3 days of grinding in, and then I get wiped. This has happened every time I’ve played. I’ve never been able to build up enough to finally enjoy the game. Most I’ve ever gotten is a full metal base with a couple turrets and probably 1 pteranodon. I just need a good map with the least amount of people and some safe spots to live. I just wanna enjoy the game. 

There are unofficial MTS servers and they open beginner servers for 2 weeks, at the end you can transfer all your stuff to the main server cluster or just start again. They have S+ and a few boosted rates though, but its a great way to play solo and stand a chance! 

6 hours ago, ThFcChRiS said:

I've found unofficial servers to be your best bet, still pvp but a lot more relaxed, no griefing etc.

I have a server you are more than welcome to try out, I wont post it here for the shameless plug but if you're interested just message me.

until the admin becomes abusive or decides he doesnt want the server any more......then bye bye to all your grinding

15 hours ago, ItWasntMe said:

until the admin becomes abusive or decides he doesnt want the server any more......then bye bye to all your grinding

Hence why I have my own server now.

I've had this happen to me too often.  I enjoy playing the game too much, the only time I've used admin commands is to build community areas and help players out that encounter gitches etc

Iv just got it to official pvp, I play solo iv only had my base c4d once and that was just the door because I forgot to leave it open. Always leave your door open when your not on and hide your loot. Iv got 2argies 2 pteranodons an anky iv just raised 2 Wyverns iv got a dire bear. I have 2 bases and they aren’t small 1 of them is quite tucked away the other is right out in the open. The number 1 survival skill is don’t start anything don’t make enemy’s and build your self up in secret. The water is a really good place the hide your sfuff. For  me valguero is a grate map to start on you get a higher average Dino level on the free dlc maps 

Archived