Are Yuties Broken?

DaddyMike72

Are Yuties Broken?

I've been plaing Ark for about two years almost exclusively in Singleplayer mode.  Two weeks ago I started a Friends and Family server on GPortal (The Island) and ever since I got high enough to fly an Argent, I have been going to the Snow Biome area looking for and taming Yuties.  This has been a bang-my-head-against-a-wall kind of experience. 

I have found quite a few decent level Yuties (135+), but 8 times out 10, as I approach the Yutie and its pack, any Yutie really, Dire Wolves will render in and run over to kill the Yutie before I can get to it.  On one occasion I spotted a 145 Yutie and flew as fast as I could toward it and watched a pack of four wolves rendered in.  I got there in time to grab two of the wolves and throw them over a cliff only to turn around and see the other two milling about with rhe carnos.  With a tad bit of frustration, I killed the two and flew over the cliff to kill the other two.  Just because.  The highest level wolf was 35. 

This might suggest an imbalance for the wolves's wild DPS, but I would argue that if the three carnos had joined  the fight, the Yutie would have stood a chance.  Instead it managed to give off two Buff roars on the carnos who did nothing to help and a fear roar that the wolves shrugged off.  This behavior isn't strictly limited to Dire Wolves though.  Over the past few days I have noted that the Carnos will not help in fighting against Dire Wolves, Daeodons, Sabertooths or other Carnos.  Only with the Sabers and Carnos do the Yuties stand a chance. 

And with fighting Carnos I have seen even stranger behavior which I confirmed today after watching an 80 Yutie and a 25 Yutie with their respective packs fighting not too far from each other.  As I hovered and watched, they wandered about after their kills until the 25 perked its head, let out the Alliance roar and ran with its pack in tow toward the 80's carnos.  The 80 responded in kind and both Yuties were fighting each others' packs.  A couple minutes later and all 6 carnos were iust pacing around going, "Hey Carl."  "'Sup Bob". 

As I watched this unfold today, I couldn't help but think that in two years of playing SP, I had never noticed Yuties and their packs being so horribly outmatched and broken.

The server I set up on GPortal is mostly Vanilla with no mods added and the only adjustments made affect Time Duration, Breeding and Taming to make the server more Casual Play friendly.  No adjustments were made to dino stats or behavior

Have the Yuties on servers always been this broken and outmatched or is this due to some recent change?

no they have always been this way. the problem is that the carnos don't have priority on what the yuty wants to fight and yuty's are stupid aggressive. Carnos are also stupid aggressive and sometimes they will all attack different things.  I've actually rolled in before and saw a yuty buffing his carnos who were killing him like "HAY YOU CAN KILL ME FASTER THAN THAT C'MON." 

Catching yutys in the wild is a chore because of how hyper aggressive they are and the fact wolves in packs are just very strong.  server spawn managers handle spawns differently than single player which is why you are noticing a difference.

Took me 2 tries and about an hour to lure a single yuty into a trap. They'd keep aggroing off on anything that wasn't you if any other dino existed, so I had to clear everything between me and the trap. Also it's pathfinding was terrible, couldn't follow me for such a long time because there was a large rock between me and it. Eventually got the second one (first one aggroed off me onto a pack of brontos) into the trap, left my dino that  I was leading it with on passive in the trap (large HP pool, so didn't matter how much damage the yuty tried to do) and shock tranqued it into submission.

I'm running a private server from my own computer with no changes to dinos and I haven't seen anything like what you describe @DaddyMike72. My Yuties seem to have no problems standing their ground in the wild. Nor have I seen anything like @Zen00 describes: I'm having no trouble getting a Yuty to follow me into a trap. Sometimes, they'll aggro something on the way, but most often, if I land, they'll aggro back (unless they started the fight already in which case they'll kill it and then continue following me). The only problem I have with kiting Yuties is being feared by their roar and having to wait it out until I can continue kiting.

12 hours ago, DaddyMike72 said:

Are Yuties Broken?

I've been plaing Ark for about two years almost exclusively in Singleplayer mode.  Two weeks ago I started a Friends and Family server on GPortal (The Island) and ever since I got high enough to fly an Argent, I have been going to the Snow Biome area looking for and taming Yuties.  This has been a bang-my-head-against-a-wall kind of experience. 

I have found quite a few decent level Yuties (135+), but 8 times out 10, as I approach the Yutie and its pack, any Yutie really, Dire Wolves will render in and run over to kill the Yutie before I can get to it.  On one occasion I spotted a 145 Yutie and flew as fast as I could toward it and watched a pack of four wolves rendered in.  I got there in time to grab two of the wolves and throw them over a cliff only to turn around and see the other two milling about with rhe carnos.  With a tad bit of frustration, I killed the two and flew over the cliff to kill the other two.  Just because.  The highest level wolf was 35. 

This might suggest an imbalance for the wolves's wild DPS, but I would argue that if the three carnos had joined  the fight, the Yutie would have stood a chance.  Instead it managed to give off two Buff roars on the carnos who did nothing to help and a fear roar that the wolves shrugged off.  This behavior isn't strictly limited to Dire Wolves though.  Over the past few days I have noted that the Carnos will not help in fighting against Dire Wolves, Daeodons, Sabertooths or other Carnos.  Only with the Sabers and Carnos do the Yuties stand a chance. 

And with fighting Carnos I have seen even stranger behavior which I confirmed today after watching an 80 Yutie and a 25 Yutie with their respective packs fighting not too far from each other.  As I hovered and watched, they wandered about after their kills until the 25 perked its head, let out the Alliance roar and ran with its pack in tow toward the 80's carnos.  The 80 responded in kind and both Yuties were fighting each others' packs.  A couple minutes later and all 6 carnos were iust pacing around going, "Hey Carl."  "'Sup Bob". 

As I watched this unfold today, I couldn't help but think that in two years of playing SP, I had never noticed Yuties and their packs being so horribly outmatched and broken.

The server I set up on GPortal is mostly Vanilla with no mods added and the only adjustments made affect Time Duration, Breeding and Taming to make the server more Casual Play friendly.  No adjustments were made to dino stats or behavior

Have the Yuties on servers always been this broken and outmatched or is this due to some recent change?

Are Yuties Broken?

My answer:  NO!

For me it is easy to tame a Yutie once I get one safe from wolves and daeodons.  I just grab a megaloceros or some other passive mob and hover over their head.   There is a small, but not too small, area of opportunity where they will stay locked on the bait but are too far away for the fear roar to work. They will follow me all over the map and not aggro on other herbivores unless I get too high.  This doesn't stop other things from aggroing on them though.  I've managed to drag multiple Yuties at once to my Ramp and Pen trap.  Its just been a pain keeping them alive long enough.

I will say that since my first post, I have been selectively targeting wolf packs and killing them off while leaving passive mobs alone which is starting to populate the areas with more herbivores than carnivores.  The trade-off is that it means fewer spawn opportunities for Yuties as well, but at least when I do find them there aren't as many wolves about and plenty of bait to lure them in.

build a trap and try to lure Yuty into it, then safely pelt it with tranqs as it derps about inside the trap. 

Yuty have always behaved like they are being controlled by someone's twitch chat. Most dinos already react to where you're looking or shooting, Yuty do that, plus they are reacting to all the other dinos reacting around them. I find if I kill or attack the dinos that they have under their spell, that pisses the yuty off enough to chase after me and right into a trap. Otherwise, good luck. 

For us we have a pillar base in the tundra and yuty get stuck underneath all the time. Periodically I'll open a hatch to the ground below and see if any 150's are stuck. This is on Valguero so it's quite often. Honestly, trapping any dino makes taming a million times easier, but with the derptastic Yuty it's a must.

On The Island you can use the landscape as a weird yet perfect little trap.  Right in front of the Ice Cave entrance there is a two-step cliff towards the river.  Make sure the Yuty is down there at the bottom on the ice covering the river.  Then agro it from the top level edge in front of the ice cave.  EVERY single time I do this the Yuty approaches the cliff as far as it can and then it just sticks there when it touches the cliff wall.  It won't even try to run during tranqing.  Once it knocks out clear the area of carnos or anything that might interfere and start feeding it.  The best part is this is a really common Yuty spawn area (in my experience).  But watch out for Wolves and Daedons at the top!

Archived