A not rude rant.

Centari

A not rude rant.

At present, I can no longer place items like walls, camp fires, etc.  It occurred in one of the latest two minor patches. I'm on Linux, and have been since Microsoft went to Windows 10, spyware edition.  The problem is consistent across the maps in our cluster.  In my effort to troubleshoot, I attempted to place a campfire on Official, but after two hours, could not find a location free of pillars to test with, and gave up.

I like this game, more than I detest windows, so next month I'm getting another hard drive and setting up a partition for windows so I can continue to play this game.  For the majority of players, there is a plethora of problems in the game, but not to the point of breaking it, and once known can be worked around for the most part.  For those on Linux however, there are additional problems that will never be addressed, based on the history of Wild Card development.  The most glaring being that patches for Linux and Apple are an afterthought that may happen anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks after the windows patch is pushed.  Also, since they did not use an up to date graphics driver such as Vulcan, caves and boss fights are off limits to Linux players, at least with my low end graphics card, as all I see are a myriad of color splotches all over the screen.  All of these problems have been reported years ago.

I will continue to feed my critters, and enjoy the parts of the game that I am able too.  I'm a small part of a very good community that I enjoy thoroughly.  (private servers obviously.)

Anyway, that's my vent.  Sometime next month I will have windows that will only see this game and OBS.  (limitations being money and time.)  I only wish that the devs would be more considerate of their customers who use Linux or Apple.  It's not like we get a discount for being treated as second class citizens.

14 hours ago, Centari said:

The most glaring being that patches for Linux and Apple are an afterthought that may happen anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks after the windows patch is pushed.  Also, since they did not use an up to date graphics driver such as Vulcan, caves and boss fights are off limits to Linux players, at least with my low end graphics card, as all I see are a myriad of color splotches all over the screen.  All of these problems have been reported years ago.

Welcome to the world of operating systems that don't matter as much. It's all a matter of OS market share. An OS is an OS. Windows isn't a worse OS, its just a more popular OS, which also makes it a higher priority target, for both good & bad.  When you gobble up the anti-Windows rhetoric and jump ship to Apple OS or Linux, you aren't getting a better OS, you're just getting one that's a lesser priority, for hackers/viruses, and game developers. Take your pick. Live with it. 

• Volunteer Moderator
18 hours ago, Centari said:

second class citizens

People force that on themselves trying to play games on Linux or Mac.

Companies simply don't write (good) games for those OSs with such a small market share like DeH said. It's not economical feasible in most cases.

It's the same as having a Windows phone and being mad that nobody writes apps for it when it has 3% market share.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:21 PM, DeHammer said:

Welcome to the world of operating systems that don't matter as much. It's all a matter of OS market share. An OS is an OS. Windows isn't a worse OS, its just a more popular OS, which also makes it a higher priority target, for both good & bad.  When you gobble up the anti-Windows rhetoric and jump ship to Apple OS or Linux, you aren't getting a better OS, you're just getting one that's a lesser priority, for hackers/viruses, and game developers. Take your pick. Live with it. 

I've been running Windows, Free BSD, and Linux side by side for a couple decades now.  I didn't gobble anti-Windows rhetoric.  I had windows 10 over write my Windows 7 that I was happy with, through an update that could not be reversed.  It was then that I dumped microsoft.  Prior to that, windows was my OS of choice, and the other two were used for network services and utilities.  After going to Linux being my prime OS, I am much happier with what I can do, and the speed at which it happens.  The only drawback has been this game and it's mismanagement on what you deem lesser OS's.  They charge the same amount for the game.  It should provide the same experience.  It does not.

On 1/20/2020 at 8:02 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

People force that on themselves trying to play games on Linux or Mac.

Companies simply don't write (good) games for those OSs with such a small market share like DeH said. It's not economical feasible in most cases.

It's the same as having a Windows phone and being mad that nobody writes apps for it when it has 3% market share.

Actually, I've enjoyed many games on Linux.  And, in those cases, I got what I paid for.  In this case they did write the app so to speak.  Unfortunately in a half arsed manner.  If it was not going to be supported, it should not have been marketed.

11 hours ago, Centari said:

I've been running Windows, Free BSD, and Linux side by side for a couple decades now.  I didn't gobble anti-Windows rhetoric.  I had windows 10 over write my Windows 7 that I was happy with, through an update that could not be reversed.  It was then that I dumped microsoft.  Prior to that, windows was my OS of choice, and the other two were used for network services and utilities.  After going to Linux being my prime OS, I am much happier with what I can do, and the speed at which it happens.  The only drawback has been this game and it's mismanagement on what you deem lesser OS's.  They charge the same amount for the game.  It should provide the same experience.  It does not.

I did not say 'lesser' OS's. As a matter of fact I studied Computer Science, and have an appreciation for all variety of OS's. I said 'less popular', as in lower market share. On the other hand, you plainly stated that you 'detest Windows' and made specific reference to a popular anti-Windows rhetoric... 'spyware edition'. You can turn off the reporting and lock Windows 10 quite nicely if you knew what you were doing. 

The Windows 10 upgrade CAN be reversed btw. Not that I would recommend an upgrade to Win 10. Windows upgrades are always inferior to a straight install.

Archived