Has THIS even happened before?

Ownz1nR34LT1M3

Hey guys! I would like to pass the time with an interesting little discussion that I am trying to work out.

The question is this:

Is there any established precedent for a gaming company releasing a game without a release date? Because it seems like that is about to happen! I don't mean necessarily early access but the actual official opening or release of a game with barely even a week notice. My immediate thoughts are about the positives or negatives of such a thing.

People won't be able to plan around this at all as it currently stands. Barely any information is being leaked on a game that is supposedly coming in less than 2 weeks.

I would be very interested if anyone has any knowledge or opinions as to whether this is a valid release tactic or anything else you might like to add! I think this is mind-blowing and I personally have never seen such a thing in my entire time being a gamer!

I know that Scorched Earth was released with even less info. Iirc all we had was some mysterious mysteries, we might've guessed, but there was nothing officially said about an entire map being released until it was actually released.
This is also how Scorched Earth managed to be the only map that wasn't delayed (that we could see, anyway)

I don't know about other games that did this before, but Wildcard certainly has.

Besides, if they set a release date again, it'll just make people upset when it gets delayed again.

Personally, I don't really mind it because they miss all their dates anyway so it's basically the same as usual if you ask me.

4 hours ago, TinyHippo said:

I know that Scorched Earth was released with even less info. Iirc all we had was some mysterious mysteries, we might've guessed, but there was nothing officially said about an entire map being released until it was actually released.
This is also how Scorched Earth managed to be the only map that wasn't delayed (that we could see, anyway)

I don't know about other games that did this before, but Wildcard certainly has.

Besides, if they set a release date again, it'll just make people upset when it gets delayed again.

Personally, I don't really mind it because they miss all their dates anyway so it's basically the same as usual if you ask me.

yes!! lol and I think im kinda enjoying the suspense lol 

1 hour ago, Lycan187u said:

yes!! lol and I think im kinda enjoying the suspense lol 

Yeah I have seen a few people upset that lack of announcements is "killing the hype", but I think lack of information will make the game much more exciting when it is finally finished, and that hype is pretty superficial most of the time! Some games with tons of hype get boring after a month, but I see we are all still here playing Ark ^_^

8 hours ago, Ownz1nR34LT1M3 said:

Yeah I have seen a few people upset that lack of announcements is "killing the hype", but I think lack of information will make the game much more exciting when it is finally finished, and that hype is pretty superficial most of the time! Some games with tons of hype get boring after a month, but I see we are all still here playing Ark ^_^

The feeling I get from speaking with people is mainly that it fuels the idea of disappointment. It will get delayed again or there's nothing they're proud of to show.

25 minutes ago, SuaveHyena said:

The feeling I get from speaking with people is mainly that it fuels the idea of disappointment. It will get delayed again or there's nothing they're proud of to show.

I am fairly certain there is closed testing currently underway and none of the information has been leaked so far. That's a pretty good sign. Can't say the same for other rpg style games where you already know half of the game before the game is even out!

1 minute ago, Ownz1nR34LT1M3 said:

I am fairly certain there is closed testing currently underway and none of the information has been leaked so far. That's a pretty good sign. Can't say the same for other rpg style games where you already know half of the game before the game is even out!

I'm not making any statements on what is. Just letting you know what conversations I see.

Yeah I think what you said is 100% true, there are tons of people who feel a huge lack of confidence in a decision such as not making any announcement when supposedly we are very close to a release. Do you think that there is even a chance it is intended and not due to a lack of having anything to show? I would be really interested in continued discussion about this.

As one of those people who reckons it's killing the hype; Essentially, I'm someone who tends to only get excited if I know that something's coming, and have something solid to be looking forward to.

In regards to announcements as in release date; The main concern for me is how close it is to the end of January, with no announcement. It leads me to feel like it's probably not going to be released in Jan, and if I feel like that, there's no point in getting hyped up if I think I'm probably just going to be disappointed and have to wait again. Plus, not having a date to be excited about? I can't 'look forward to this day' when I don't have a day to look forward to. I can't get excited for and impatient for that day to come, because for all I know, it could be tomorrow, or 4 weeks away!

And announcements as in content; I can't get excited about something when I don't even know what I'd be getting excited about. Like.. yes, I'm looking forward to the release, but I can't really be like 'I'm so hyped for this thing!!' when I don't really know what things there are to look forward to. For me, hype would be having stuff I'm eager to be playing with; but there's not enough stuff that I can look forward to using.

Now, aside from that, there is some stuff that I am indeed excited for. The biome-specific re-skins in particular are really exciting to me, the few previews we've gotten look sooooo pretty and cool, and as someone who likes collecting dinos, I am really looking forward to that. But the thing is, when I first saw them? I was very excited by the concept. But the hype from just.. knowing it's a thing eventually wears off. I need to really know what I'm supposed to be looking forward to, and I don't. Hype for a concept only goes so far, and I needed something more concrete to look forward to. Give us some previews of a couple of the different dinos in-game! Show us what they look like as a finished thing, as a full part of the map. Then, I can REALLY get excited again, because I know I can't wait to get THAT. Additionally, I don't know WHEN I'm getting that. I know it's 'sometime', but why get excited for it, when who knows how far away it could be?

20 hours ago, Ownz1nR34LT1M3 said:

Hey guys! I would like to pass the time with an interesting little discussion that I am trying to work out.

The question is this:

Is there any established precedent for a gaming company releasing a game without a release date? Because it seems like that is about to happen! I don't mean necessarily early access but the actual official opening or release of a game with barely even a week notice. My immediate thoughts are about the positives or negatives of such a thing.

People won't be able to plan around this at all as it currently stands. Barely any information is being leaked on a game that is supposedly coming in less than 2 weeks.

I would be very interested if anyone has any knowledge or opinions as to whether this is a valid release tactic or anything else you might like to add! I think this is mind-blowing and I personally have never seen such a thing in my entire time being a gamer!

Your first time ever dealing with wildcard and ark?

2 hours ago, Garick said:

Your first time ever dealing with wildcard and ark?

They have always had a date before, except in the case that another poster mentioned with Scorched.  I did not have the pleasure of being part of the release of Scorched Earth as Ark released on Ps4 with scorched already available if my memory serves correctly.  They have missed dates in the past, but that is not the same as not even having a date to miss, or at least that was what this post was to be discussing.  Do you have something specific you would like to mention to the class so we could share in that knowledge?

4 minutes ago, Ownz1nR34LT1M3 said:

They have always had a date before, except in the case that another poster mentioned with Scorched.  I did not have the pleasure of being part of the release of Scorched Earth as Ark released on Ps4 with scorched already available if my memory serves correctly.  They have missed dates in the past, but never not had one directly states, or at least that was what this post was to be discussing.  Do you have something specific you would like to mention to the class so we could share in that knowledge?

Sorry to disappoint you but Wildcard has a notorious habit of delaying, delaying delaying. They have delayed since the beginning on all their patches/dlc etc by weeks to months.

6 hours ago, Garick said:

Sorry to disappoint you but Wildcard has a notorious habit of delaying, delaying delaying. They have delayed since the beginning on all their patches/dlc etc by weeks to months.

They have already delayed from december to january. The first delay is very common for wilcard, a second delay is not unheard of but it is unusual.
I'd rather just they tell us right now it will be february. They will need to bring the bad news eventually...it will upset more people if they do it last minute.

10 hours ago, SuaveHyena said:

They have already delayed from december to january. The first delay is very common for wilcard, a second delay is not unheard of but it is unusual.
I'd rather just they tell us right now it will be february. They will need to bring the bad news eventually...it will upset more people if they do it last minute.

Oh no in the early days it was very common for there to be 2-3 delays if not more, they finally learned its best to just not say anything and keep working on it rather than make a claim and miss it as much as they used to do.

wildcard legit does not give a raptor, they might apologize in a live stream or some half baked crap like that but they really do not care. 

they do not respect constructive criticism and any negativity is really just ignored they could not care less about who they upset, they know people are gonna play their game anyway

Wildcard is known to release the game when it is ready absolutely unannounced. It has happened in the last 4 years or so since I palyed it with the little patches, updates and dlcs. When WC names a date for anything you can add a week to a month or two to it. 

BUT they make up more than anything with the quality and love they put into ARK. Just look at how many people are angry that they cant play it lol, shows how loved the game is. Just sit back tight and dont expect any Genesis release this month. 

1 hour ago, neffspan said:

wildcard legit does not give a raptor, they might apologize in a live stream or some half baked crap like that but they really do not care. 

they do not respect constructive criticism and any negativity is really just ignored they could not care less about who they upset, they know people are gonna play their game anyway

I disagree with you completely.  I think many people including yourself are misreading the problems with the game as lack of care, when in fact its more likely that it's just really hard to do what they are doing and they care plenty.  Why would they not care? If making these games are directly linked to their livelihood then of course they care.  They definitely respect constructive criticism and the evidence is in the large amounts of content that were added to the game or changed which was a direct result of the ark community as a whole.

54 minutes ago, dizzljoe said:

Wildcard is known to release the game when it is ready absolutely unannounced. It has happened in the last 4 years or so since I palyed it with the little patches, updates and dlcs. When WC names a date for anything you can add a week to a month or two to it. 

BUT they make up more than anything with the quality and love they put into ARK. Just look at how many people are angry that they cant play it lol, shows how loved the game is. Just sit back tight and dont expect any Genesis release this month. 

This is such a great response to the previous post and the general ideas of this thread. Thank you so much for your input! I agree with you that despite all of the problems we deal with Ark is still such a great game.  I love to imagine what this thing would be like if it was more polished.  It would be dangerous!

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I like to know what is going on. I am a fairly reasonable person, in my opinion. Things happen. Delays happen. I know in particular Wildcard tends to delay games. I just want to be in the loop. If it is February now; fine. Still January; fine. Christmas 2020; fine. Just tell me.

That being said, I have been kind of ignoring the situation since there hasn't been any news.

13 hours ago, dizzljoe said:

Is that why they put titans into the game that you can solo tame and wipe entire servers with? Clearly months of work put into taming, breeding, building and otherwise doesn't mean much to them when they put in creatures that can wipe entire maps in an hour with NFG by wildcard and then they have had meshing issues since Day 1, stirring in a bit more poison with being able to use things like trikes and gasbags to soak turrets infinitely and then letting the centipede be able to melt any and all material types while being as easy to tame as a dodo.

Clearly wildcard has that "I'm sorry you made me punch you in the face, I do it because I love you." type of love.

Wild Card has done this before.... 
Im going to explain Wild Card MO.

1 No release date.
2 Release day set
3 Release date push for more days, weeks or months
4 Release date delay on the day of the release date
5 More Delay in the next days of the release date
6 Game release slow download on steam massive traffic
7 Crashes, queue's etc Cant play the gamefor the first day
8 After 10 hours of playing with lag and crashes HUGE roll back start again.
9 3-5 days after the game the release its enjoyable 
10 New Mechanics are OP other maps bases starts getting wipe The END.....

On 1/19/2020 at 5:56 AM, SuaveHyena said:

Waiting until the last minute is the WC/snail games way....didnt u know? (Much sarcasm intended)

48 minutes ago, Khadez said:

Wild Card has done this before.... 
Im going to explain Wild Card MO.

1 No release date.
2 Release day set
3 Release date push for more days, weeks or months
4 Release date delay on the day of the release date
5 More Delay in the next days of the release date
6 Game release slow download on steam massive traffic
7 Crashes, queue's etc Cant play the gamefor the first day
8 After 10 hours of playing with lag and crashes HUGE roll back start again.
9 3-5 days after the game the release its enjoyable 
10 New Mechanics are OP other maps bases starts getting wipe The END.....

This ^^^^^ but u forgot about the dino killing nerfs to make them pointless before "the END"

Archived