Way to dismount tall dinos with out parking next to a slope

sjskdjkfa

I can't count how many times I've accidentally fallen to my death trying to jump off a bronto, rock golem, giga, diplo, pretty much any dino where you dismount and are basically standing on a cliff. So you have to either park on a slope so you can jump off the side of the dino nearest to the ground, or maybe to the top of a rock. Or you can try to jump from the brontos neck to it's knee? Rock golem you can try to land on its arm? Idk It's just practiced falling which often leads to death.. As a solution- I'm imagining like you look at the dino press e to get into the radial menu and find an option for assisted dismounting - and then your character automatically does some acrobatics tarzaning down the side of the leg on like a rope? what ever, end result is me safely at a much lower elevation/ less likely to die, less I parked stupidly at a cliff cliff lolz.

18 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

I can't count how many times I've accidentally fallen to my death trying to jump off a bronto, rock golem, giga, diplo, pretty much any dino where you dismount and are basically standing on a cliff. So you have to either park on a slope so you can jump off the side of the dino nearest to the ground, or maybe to the top of a rock. Or you can try to jump from the brontos neck to it's knee? Rock golem you can try to land on its arm? Idk It's just practiced falling which often leads to death.. As a solution- I'm imagining like you look at the dino press e to get into the radial menu and find an option for assisted dismounting - and then your character automatically does some acrobatics tarzaning down the side of the leg on like a rope? what ever, end result is me safely at a much lower elevation/ less likely to die, less I parked stupidly at a cliff cliff lolz.

Usually, you can walk to the tall dinos tails, like you're thinking.  That's what I do.  Except Rock Eles and Gigas:  I dismount a Giga, turn to the side, inch forward, drop onto the Giga's arm/hand, then drop from there on ground.  It is annoying as hell to have to do that every time, but I consider it worth it to ride the most permanent and accessible monster-tame in the game.  On Rock Eles, I do the same thing, exactly what you suggest, every time:  I run onto its arm too, then drop to the ground.  All others, I ride so infrequently it isn't a big issue, but I go for the tails (Bronto/Diplo).

EDIT:  No special treatment is really 100% necessary.  You can just take some fall damage and be prepared to med-brew yourself up, but I'm just sharing h ow I personally handle this annoyance.

I just use a glider to reduce dmg taken, or just take the fall dmg, it doesnt do much and heals on its own fast enough

In response to just take the fall damage, or glide down: Like 90% of the time that I'm playing I'm running around naked and with a character that has more than 90% of it's points into weight or crafting skill. If you're surviving the falls you might have more health than me, though I agree it isn't much damage cause even crafting characters survive some of the falls... Running around naked is a catch 22, A) I usually don't care if I die cause I had no valued equipment, while B) I don't have equipment on usually so I'm not gliding usually.

Using wings or shute is inconvenient if you running naked or jumping across beds a lot. Trying to break the fall by jumping on something mid-height first is unreliable. Can't count how many times giga decided to eat while I was trying to land on its arm.

There is already a safe dismount mechanic in game - you can see it in action by dismounting from argent in 2-wall-high space or giga while saddle is inside structures. In these cases player will be placed on the ground close to mount's feet.

Why isn't it the default method? I have no other guess except for aesthetics.  Jumping off of mount back just looks nicer. For some reason devs don't care about half giga'a body going through structures, but dismounting is very important to them. I think best solution would be a switch in settings between "boring" and "I'm feeling lucky" dismount methods.

14 hours ago, Castlerock said:

What map are u on that element is hard to get? Tek boots only use the charge when its abilities are in use

Not that hard to get, I'm currently expanding to extinction so actually it's pretty easy for me now. But it wasn't that long ago that the only element I had was from killing the brood mother in my only boss fight and it was precious stuff. But come to think of it one of my tribe mates just wasted a bunch of element cloning a flipping moschops so perhaps I will get out the tek boots! :D:P … btw I had no idea it only used it while the ability was in use, thought it was a constant drain.

13 hours ago, DaveH said:

Why are you always naked?

While it is a survival game, and trying to survive is fun, it can be very liberating to not have to. Run carelessly through the woods and get mobbed by compy and just turn away from you computer like idgaf.. run into a pack of raptors or direwolfs and just spawn back at your bed no loss, etc. idk it's just the way I learned to play. Also when first learning, my mentor was anal about not using the resources for replenishing food and water. I wasn't allowed to ever level food or water, or ever eat or drink (sounds abusive in retro … hilarious) and when we needed those stats replenished we'd just e.g. mount and jump off a bronto (yes I also view that fall damage as a useful game mechanism). And when you're dying all the time you can go around and harvest all your corpses for meat.

10 hours ago, Baklap said:

Im just wondering how low your hp must be if you die so quickly...

For giga i always dismount and walk to the side slowly till i fall, yes i take a little damage, but im sure i can do that 10 times before i die from it.

100 hp is the default I think with out putting any points in. Perhaps I overstate how much I die. If you walk carefully off the edge and collide with necks tails shoulders arms or what have you.. then yea you can reduce fall damage even to zero, but you don't have full control over that. Sometimes the dino moves, sometimes you lag out and suddenly are 3 meters from the arm or rock you are shooting for, sometimes you're in a rush and you don't shoot for anything and jump randomly and the contour of the ground is against you so you fall further, sometimes you already have some damage applied so the little bit of extra damage is to much.

Anyways I just did one test and jumped off a bronto platform saddle on some sort of flat ground and it did about 70 damage to my 100 hp. In my honest opinion that is to much damage for something I must do so routinely. But I'm getting the sense that a lot of other people are not bugged by it or have some sort of work around, or just consider it part of the survival aspect. Somewhat surprised by that general sentiment tbh. But please keep elucidating that - I want more people to weigh in.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:34 AM, sjskdjkfa said:

right burn element all day on the off chance that im gonna mis step.. maybe later when I have more element to spare :P

Honestly Tek Boots use almost no element, mine last prob a week before using 1 element and I play every day and do constant meat runs on my giga and jump off tall stuff all the time. Also Wearing Tek Boots allows you to walk up any slope easily that you would normally not be able to. I would never go back to wearing normal boots for everyday use.

Archived