When to add color into breeding process?

XxXMissPinkXxX

Hey guys! So I'm pretty new to the game, I've had it about 3 weeks. I've watched countless hours of breeding videos and I have stat mutations understood very well. The only issue I am having is when I should start adding the colors. To practice I have started with velonosaurs. Here is what I have

0/0 base male

24  0/0 base females

1 health mutation with pink body

1 damage mutation with blue spikes and claws. 

1 stam mutation with no coloring

I have decided to start the health line, but REALLY want to keep that pink in the final result. Along with the blue from the damage mutation baby. I've bred the health velon with all my base females, and cant seem to get one that has the second stacked health mutation and that specific coloration. Now here are my questions,

1. The babies that are coming out pink, have the same stats as my base creatures, should I replace my base females with the colored females? And only keep the baby that has the 2 stacked health and the color?

2. But if I end up getting a second health mutation with none of the pink coloration, do I kill it and wait?

3. Should I wait until I have my end result velon with all thier mutations and THEN try to add the colors I want?

4. If i do wait until the end result, will that color mutation even transfer over due to the end result already having all of its allotted mutations counted for it? 

I am beyond confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, XxXMissPinkXxX said:

Hey guys! So I'm pretty new to the game, I've had it about 3 weeks. I've watched countless hours of breeding videos and I have stat mutations understood very well. The only issue I am having is when I should start adding the colors. To practice I have started with velonosaurs. Here is what I have

0/0 base male

24  0/0 base females

1 health mutation with pink body

1 damage mutation with blue spikes and claws. 

1 stam mutation with no coloring

I have decided to start the health line, but REALLY want to keep that pink in the final result. Along with the blue from the damage mutation baby. I've bred the health velon with all my base females, and cant seem to get one that has the second stacked health mutation and that specific coloration. Now here are my questions,

1. The babies that are coming out pink, have the same stats as my base creatures, should I replace my base females with the colored females? And only keep the baby that has the 2 stacked health and the color?

2. But if I end up getting a second health mutation with none of the pink coloration, do I kill it and wait?

3. Should I wait until I have my end result velon with all thier mutations and THEN try to add the colors I want?

4. If i do wait until the end result, will that color mutation even transfer over due to the end result already having all of its allotted mutations counted for it? 

I am beyond confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1. Do not replace them. They'll still have the mutation in the counter, even if the stat hasn't been passed. (Unless you don't care about the extra, 'wasted' tick in the counter).

2. Depends how much you value the mutation compared to the colour- Or how much patience you have to try and get two health mutations with pink.

3. Depends. Do you want the counter to be clean even after you finish stat breeding? If so, you'll have to make sure to breed the pink alongside the stats (leading to the issue above). If you don't care? Go wild once the stats are done, and mess up the counter all you like to get those colours!!

4. Colours aren't affected by the mutation counter. Once the dino has that colour, that's it's colour, and it's completely separate form the mutation- the passing of one does not affect the other; aside from the initial change being caused by the dino getting the mutation.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask for any further clarification! :D 

Thank you so much for the fast reply! Yes, I do want to keep the lines completely clean and separate until I get my 20 dam, 20 stam, and 20 health. And add breed them together to get my final.

So just to verify,  what you are saying is I can add the color after I get my final? 

And it wont effect my finals end stats at all? 

For example, say I set aside my 1/0 pink female, and I breed it with my 40/20 end result male, with that baby still have all the stat mutations active? Or will it mess with the stats since I bred it with an already mutated 1/0 female

Yep, you can! How I generally do it is I breed until I have all the stats, setting aside any unwanted mutations that have nice colours. Then I start to breed in (non-mutation) colours; and through both of those stages, I breed in mutations as I go, as favourable ones appear. (I use that as a way to moderate how many mutations I breed in, since breeding until I hit 256 mutations.. I don't have the sanity for that, especially if the dino is good enough anywayxD) And then after all the stats are bred, and I have clean countered, statted, coloured dinos- then, I go wild with mutation colours.

You end up with very messy looking counters, but so long as you make sure that the dinos inherit the correct stats, a messy counter is the worst you'll have; That is, so long as it inherits the health stat from the 40/20, and not the 1/10. You'll end up with the 'extra' mark on the counter, but that's the only thing that it'll affect, so long as the correct stat is inherited- and that won't matter so long as you don't intend to stat breed any further with those dinos.

Just always remember to keep a pair of fully statted breeders with no mutations; and a pair with full mutations and a clean line, so if something does go wrong, you have something to go back to!

there's no cap on the number, but once a dino has 20 mutations it can't mutate again. it can be mated with another dino that has less than 20 and there is a chance that the baby can then have a mutation. but only half the odds off this happening. if both dinos that are mated have 20 or more on their counter, then there's 0 chance of the offspring having a mutation, yet the counter will keep going up. 20 on each dino, gives the baby a count of 40. mate that 40 with it's 20 parent, and the count goes up to 60, and so on.

9 hours ago, Herbapou said:

I have seen dinos with over 10000 mutations on both sides.  If I undertand this correctly there is no mutation cap right?

It's because the counter is really weird. When you breed dinos with mutations together, it adds, or multiplies? the number on the counter. So the number can go as high as you want, but the actual mutations can only stack to 265/ 254, where it'll display '-1' if the breed has been clean. This is due to a limit of the method ARK uses to store stat data.

And they can mutate again if they have 20 mutations, so long as the other side has space, apparently. So your father with 24 mutations in health can breed with an unmutated female with nothing in the counter, and the father's 24 mutated health stat can mutate again because there's space on the mother's side. Breed out a male, and the breed your now 25- health mutation father with the unmutated female, rinse and repeat.

12 hours ago, TheEclipseee said:

It's because the counter is really weird. When you breed dinos with mutations together, it adds, or multiplies? the number on the counter. So the number can go as high as you want, but the actual mutations can only stack to 265/ 254, where it'll display '-1' if the breed has been clean. This is due to a limit of the method ARK uses to store stat data.

And they can mutate again if they have 20 mutations, so long as the other side has space, apparently. So your father with 24 mutations in health can breed with an unmutated female with nothing in the counter, and the father's 24 mutated health stat can mutate again because there's space on the mother's side. Breed out a male, and the breed your now 25- health mutation father with the unmutated female, rinse and repeat.

Where does the 265/254 come from? If you mean stat cap, thats 255. If you mean integer overflow thats after millions on mutation counter.

6 minutes ago, Luewen said:

Where does the 265/254 come from? If you mean stat cap, thats 255. If you mean integer overflow thats after millions on mutation counter.

Well.. Kinda. Remember, the counter is separate from the actual amount of mutations. Now, while I've never bred to that point myself- I've talked to people who have, and according to them, you can breed in new mutations until you hit the overflow number. I said 256/254 because I don't remember which point it was you could breed to (gut says 256- that is, 0 inclusive, so 256 numbers all together) but I feel like I've seen 254 thrown about. Not sure.

Anyway, I know there's something about the counter displaying -1 afterward. There's an obvious conflict in that statement, yes, when you can get obscenely high numbers on the counter by breeding in 'repeat' mutations. But, keeping in mind I've never done it myself- I'd assume you reach that when the game tries to roll you another mutation and add the tick through the mutating itself, not adding up the counters- and it can't, so it bugs the counter out.

4 minutes ago, TheEclipseee said:

Well.. Kinda. Remember, the counter is separate from the actual amount of mutations. Now, while I've never bred to that point myself- I've talked to people who have, and according to them, you can breed in new mutations until you hit the overflow number. I said 256/254 because I don't remember which point it was you could breed to. I know there's something about the counter displaying -1 afterward. There's an obvious conflict in that statement, yes, when you can get obscenely high numbers on the counter by breeding in 'repeat' mutations. But, keeping in mind I've never done it myself- I'd assume you reach that when the game tries to roll you another mutation and add the tick through the mutating itself, not adding up the counters- and it can't, so it bugs the counter out.

Ahh yeah. The integer overflow. Cant remember the exact turnover point but its hundreds of millions before the counter turns to negative value. And it wont be -1 though. It will just be -hundreds of millions. And then it will turn back to positive at some point.

edit the turnover point is at  4,294,967,295. When mutations go over that the counter turns to negative millions.

Archived