Raptor pounce update?

Elmo0525

Raptor pounce update?

So I have been playing on ragnarok and I was exploring the jungle on my stego when I encountered a pack of raptors. I thought it was no big deal because my stego can easily kill them all and is large enough to protect me from being pinned by a pounce attack. Then, two of the raptors proceeded to pounce and pin not just me off of my stego, but also PINNED MY STEGO! Luckily, we survived but what the heck? Since when could raptors pin dinosaurs that large?! Were they buffed? I'm just confused and kinda scared now.

36 minutes ago, Elmo0525 said:

Raptor pounce update?

So I have been playing on ragnarok and I was exploring the jungle on my stego when I encountered a pack of raptors. I thought it was no big deal because my stego can easily kill them all and is large enough to protect me from being pinned by a pounce attack. Then, two of the raptors proceeded to pounce and pin not just me off of my stego, but also PINNED MY STEGO! Luckily, we survived but what the heck? Since when could raptors pin dinosaurs that large?! Were they buffed? I'm just confused and kinda scared now.

Yes.  When they launched the Valguero map on official, they did indeed update the Raptor pounce.  They forked it up pretty good by trying to add a "dodge" mechanic wherein a survivor supposedly has a chance to "dodge" the pounce.  In doing so, they gave the Raptor a proximity-autodismount ability which, it turns out, is terrible.

The situation at first:

Raptor runs up to you (while you are riding on a small-ish dino), and pounces to try and get you.  If you are close enough to the pouncing Raptor (my BEST GUESS IS: where the collision capsule of the Raptor collides with your survivors' collision capsule), it THEN dismounts you off of your small-ish dino and pins you.  It then eats your face.

The situation post-Valguero-release update:

Raptor runs up to you (while you are riding anything short of a Spino, Rex, or Giga), and autodismounts your character as it gets close to your mount.  *It is important to note, you are dismounted -BEFORE- it pounces to try and pin you*  The dismount starts a short internal Raptor-timer.  My approximation of the timer's duration is that it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 second to 3 seconds, so not very long, but the timer represents the time you have to "dodge" the pounce-and-pin.  During that timer, the Raptor will continue to chase you as you try to "dodge."  When the timer expires, the pounce animation is triggered, and it pins whatever is around including survivors, Stegos, Morellatops, Triceratops, Carnotaurus, and other fairly large dinos.  If it pins your mount, it will stand there looking goofy.  If it pins your survivor, it then eats your face.

I could not personally verify this next one, but a guy on a server I'm on BLEW UP global because he saw his WYVERN get pinned after he was autodismounted, and it blew his tiny mind.  I have no reason to believe the guy lied, though.

Raptors are buggy and weird now in the wild, thanks to that update.

Yeah, I've seen them pin some weird things. The dino it pinned just kinda goes still and sorta sideways, and the raptor kinda.. stands on the stop of it looking like it wants to eat em but it doesn't actually do anything (as far as I can tell). Looks really odd, but at least it makes em easy to kill when they're distracted doing nothing like that.

6 hours ago, TheDonn said:

while you are riding anything short of a Spino, Rex, or Giga

I suspect raptor would dismount you from giga too if it can get high enough before whole pin routine is triggered.

From my experience it doesn't care about your mount, just needs to be close enough and at close to same height or higher than you.

BTW, I only recently saw that dodge mechanic in work and guess what - it has a bug too. Raptor got killed right before pinning me. Only noticed icon in the corner because was trying to figure out what the heck happened to ark this time, since dodge-thingy prevents you from performing certain actions and can only be fixed by pressing jump button.

Archived