Where's the hype?

Rio4201

Where's the hype?

Maybe it's just me, and it probably is, but maybe.. But does it feel like the powers that be started this huge hype about Genesis and then eventually just let us all down easy?  Here we are being given this awesome looking set of trailers, previews of all the goodies to come, and then it was like the marketing team all contracted irritable bowel syndrome simultaneously and didn't bother going any further with ramping up the hype..  Now we're mid way through January, we haven't seen anything further, there's been mediocre at best Community Crunches, and now that the events are over and the rates have all gone from great to dismal again, the interests of the players is waning significantly.  During this event we had a really good amount of activity, now I'm lucky to see 2 or 3 of my friends actively on and doing anything.  To be honest, most of em are looking at other titles, which probably doesn't bode well for WC but hey, what do I know right? 

In any case, you'd think we would have seen some gameplay from the Devs, maybe sneak peaks at the beta, something.. But nopers, nothing yet. Let's hope the great speculator on youtube (whom I won't name) got it right and there's gonna be a huge reveal today. Interest levels are plummeting lol. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still super hyped for Genesis.
I'm always excited for new expansions and official maps.
And Genesis looks like its going to be such a new and interesting experience, likely totally different from anything else ARK has been in the past.

However, WildCard themselves have killed the HYPE. With a few errors.

First Being the Delay: Delaying the release and refusing to give a hard release date is a MASSIVELY BAD MOVE.

In addition, The past few weeks we have gotten no new mysterious transmission gif previews of new objects like we had been getting pretty regularly for several months.

The News relating to genesis from the ARK/WildCard team has pretty much completely dried up and that is BAD.

They're not keeping the HYPE TRAIN moving anymore, and right now, nobody knows when genesis is going to come out and what kind of playable state it will be in.

I'm still excited for it, dont get me wrong.

But They've screwed up pretty hard.

Just now, Shukie said:

I'm still super hyped for Genesis.
I'm always excited for new expansions and official maps.
And Genesis looks like its going to be such a new and interesting experience, likely totally different from anything else ARK has been in the past.

However, WildCard themselves have killed the HYPE. With a few errors.

First Being the Delay: Delaying the release and refusing to give a hard release date is a MASSIVELY BAD MOVE.

In addition, The past few weeks we have gotten no new mysterious transmission gif previews of new objects like we had been getting pretty regularly for several months.

The News relating to genesis from the ARK/WildCard team has pretty much completely dried up and that is BAD.

They're not keeping the HYPE TRAIN moving anymore, and right now, nobody knows when genesis is going to come out and what kind of playable state it will be in.

I'm still excited for it, dont get me wrong.

But They've screwed up pretty hard.

This is going to be the first map I'm actually waiting on to launch in the past when I played singleplayer I never cared about going to the other maps because I never bought the season pass but as soon as I had got the season pass and playing on the official servers I realized the magic this game really is and that's what made me pre order genesis and I'm crazy hyped for it because all the people I play with are going over there and we can have a brand new way to play ark again.

This is the first ark expansion i haven't been excited about. because there is nothing to be excited about.  I haven't preordered because I don't know enough to know if it would be a good reason to spend money.  You make sales bu advertising your product which they haven't done.  Most of the preorders have been from people who were afraid of missing out on the HLN-A stuff.

I'm really excited for it! My entire tribe is ready!

But I agree with the others that the delay disappointed me much like others. Delays happen though! I understand that and have moved past that.

What I am really sad about is the lack of information given in the previous 2 community crunches. There is more information from devs on their private twitter pages. I'd be happy if they put in last week's community crunch "QA/Closed Beta has started" and maybe they have a release date for tonight's COmmunity Crunch. If not a release date then maybe just 2-3 screenshots from the QA of something cool that we haven't seen quite yet. A few screenshots is better than nothing imo. I'd be happy with that (or even just a small paragraph about production on that front). 

But don't get me wrong, I have 20-25 people in my discord all really hyped for it! Can't wait!

Hehehe, it's like I said, I think they may have fired or reassigned their marketing team to another project or something. You would think this close to launch we'd be seeing massive spoilers, trailers, advertisements.. etc. If you know this expansion is going to be the catalyst for another few years of development, one would think the powers that be would have their marketing teams shouting from the tallest mountain tops the name of the expansion and flooding us with info.

Its the time of year, in regards to player numbers. During Xmas event you see population numbers skyrocket, then after the holidays it dies off sharply. Some people just play for the events, some buy the game on a steam sale and realize after a few weeks that the game is a buggy mess, but most people just have real life obligations. It's the same after the summer and students go back to uni/college, you'll see big drops in player population then as well.

As for Genesis hype, there's no exciting information available to get hyped up about. With Extinction there was gasbags and cryo and manas and owls and gachas (oh my), there was so much content advertised and showcased leading up to the launch, whereas Genesis feels like vaporware right now. I know that theres shapeshifters, chibis, and a giant turtle (titan?)... oh new maps and I honestly don't know what else. Point is, what exciting content is coming? I've seen trailers and artwork, but theres nothing I've heard or seen yet that is motivating me to buy the pre-order, and that wasn't the case with extinction at all. I just keep thinking vaporware with this new expansion, and I don't use that term often.

I just dont like how quiet they've gone.
No more teasers and no release date.

i was HYPED AF a couple months ago, leading up to the initial december release date.  Then the release was pushed to "January" and i was like 'this is fine' But now they're being.... so quiet and secretive at this point that i'm just like...
Theres no hype left.
I've give up on it being this month because, if it were due to come out in the next couple weeks, they would have mentioned it in the community crunch.

But i get a feeling it'll be pushed to febuary or later, Which will be a problem, as i have other games coming out March and onward, that will take up my time.

And i was booking on December/January for ARK so i'd have time to binge a couple months into it before other games came out.

But these delays are really going to screw up that gaming schedule.

I have a theory...

I believe that they are currently under NDA on all Genesis related content because they are in a closed beta. By not revealing any information, they can more easily detect if something were to be leaked. They gave us our hype, but then they are working very hard to give us as little as possible when we play the map for the first time.

Also, they made a very smart move on postponing the release date.  I won't say that the game was ready, and the delay was for other reasons... BUT I WILL SAY that I am glad we did not get Genesis with a Christmas event. If any of you guys remember, Christmas event had a very large impact on Extinction in the form of insanely powerful blueprints for practically no work among other things.

And lastly, despite what they may claim, I am within 95% certainty that Wildcard took Christmas break from about the 23rd to the 6th. All our concerns and prayers of bugs were not ignored, but everyone needs a vacation. As a business person you could make an argument, but as a human being you should just let it go.

...End Theory

I also totally agree that No Official Release Date Kills Hype 100

Lol.... And another community crunch comes out, flashing some Genesis screenshots we've already seen, and still not giving a release date.

Just a "UwU, look at all the hard work we're doin' patching the game for you UwU"

Its the 15th of January.
You'd think They'd put out the release date in todays community crunch if it was going to be on the 28th.

So i'm callin it. Its not happening in January.

-Edit- For the record, i appreciate them making fixes. But there has been 0 transparency with when Genesis is actually coming out. This just comes across as such a blatant "Please dont be mad at us, we're working hard, we promise!"

On 1/13/2020 at 8:07 PM, Rio4201 said:

Where's the hype?

WC seems to be learning. Like most learningcurves, most go way down minus groundlevel. And it's pretty safe to assume the negative reactions on certain "live" streams really affected the way WC has changed their battleplan towards the end date. Now all they need to learn is to stop giving dates months before release. Time this better, hype it up good when it's REALLY safe and this learningcurve will go up.

4 hours ago, Shukie said:

So i'm callin it. Its not happening in January.

-Edit- For the record, i appreciate them making fixes. But there has been 0 transparency with when Genesis is actually coming out. This just comes across as such a blatant "Please dont be mad at us, we're working hard, we promise!"

It wouldnt surprise me for a bit they will make it on the last day of this month.

Just don't ask the state it will be in.

And those fixes you're taling about?  I'd rather see them live up to their own words regardingthe CoC they're so proud off.

Hand out thos bans for cheaters and duping. Don't give just hollow promisses.

I need an actual DAY to tell others about. 

I understand the need to be tentative on WC side.  Dev work is as much art as construction.  Like a novelist pushed to extremes by their fans and greedy publishers will fub up an exciting book series, devs are artists that need some room to breath.  I want to be patient and let them get it done right.  But at the same time I cannot hype to the general public who will not understand.  Public is like a hungry baby that wants it's bottle and clean diaper; it does not understand, "no, wait till we get home from walmart."  Public will just scream through the store and all the car ride home until it turns red, barfs and passes out.

I am sorry but I cannot hype something that does not have an exact date.  There's been to many bad apples in the gaming industry, not Ark's fault, that said we will deliver and then pushed it back.   I need an exact date and I need to trust in it's delivery on that date to hype this to the public.  

Archived