Dilo Legion v4 vs. Wild Giga

Huggable

Dilo Legion v4 vs. Wild Giga

Hello All.

I've just finished training and organizing my fourth dilo legion, and this one is my strongest yet. My previous legions were quite small - usually less than 100 dilos - but were able to take on high-level wild rexes and alphas on the island -except for the third legion which faced numerous setbacks in their tragic march to carno island (would have been a sea voyage, but stupid alpha leeds sank the boat). If you all are interested, I can tell the stories of the previous legions.

Yes, I know this is stupid. I'm just doing it for fun.

I currently have 8 mini-legions, each with 41 dilos. The legions are named by NATO phonetic alphabet from Alfa through Hotel, and they are organized by twos with follow distance to keep things orderly. Alfa and Bravo, for example are set at low following distance, with Charlie and Delta at medium. This way, when they all march behind me, they will not get so mixed as to inhibit the use of tame groups for maneuvering.

Within each mini-legion, there are four ranks of dilo.

-Conscripts are the weakest, since they are dilos that I tamed while wandering around without any selective measures. I only upgraded their movement speed, so most are around 350% mvmt. There are 10 in each legion.

-Legionnaires are the bulk of each legion. These are dilos that I bred and raised to have high melee damage, and higher-than-average health (for a dilo). Most have around 750 hp and 1,000% melee damage. There are 25 in each legion.

-Decani (singular Decanus) are higher-quality than the legionnaires, but fewer in number. These have around 1,500 hp and 700% melee damage. There are 5 in each legion

-Centurions are the beefiest dilos in the legion. Each mini-legion has only one centurion, and they usually have around 4,000 health. Melee damage is not important for these dilos, and so it varies.

The reason I structured the legions in this way is so that the conscripts, who are disposable garbage dilos, will rush in before the others to take the first hit and die. By the time the giga has started its next attack, the legionnaires will (hopefully) be able to get in one attack each, and then die. The Decani and centurions will then keep the giga busy for a little while by taking hits.

Two mini-legions will attack at a time, according to their follow distance. So, Alfa and Bravo will attack together, and then Charlie and Delta will do the same. Alfa and Bravo will sustain some hits with their beefier dilos while the next to legions maneuver (using tame groups to whistle attack) to flank the giga and repeat the process. This is a bloody system, I know, but my dilos will relish the opportunity to die in combat.

I also have 7 premium-quality imprinted dilos that serve as my personal guard, but I doubt they will have enough of an impact to discuss. I will be fighting alongside my loyal dilos with some low-level guns, wearing decent armor. I have a paracer-mounted Mobile Command Center from which I can respawn, if necessary.

And if/when the legion fails, I'll just console-spawn a ridiculously high-level dilo, whom I will name The God Emperor of the Dilos, and it will kill the giga so that the spirits of the fallen legions will rest in peace. This will probably be what happens, even if I'm able to seek out a low-level giga. 

I'm waiting for a few of my friends to travel back to campus to get this show on the road, so I have time to beef up the individual legions or change my strategy if need be.

What do you guys think? Will it fail, or fail catastrophically? 

Idea: I'll use up my dilo breeding by-product dinos (not good enough for breeding) who have been sitting there forever. I'll pump their health and scatter them between the legions.

Okay, the other legions:

First Legion:

Spoiler

The first dilo legion was truly groundbreaking. This was about four years ago, when my friends and I were playing on a public server. We had a nice little house with some good tames; my friend Tman was the best at taming, so he'd always come back with rexes and quetzals and such. I was happier taming little dinos or silly ones that I could give funny names (different priorities for this game). We were both about to start school, so I started taming every dilo I could find so that I could pit them against some massive dino for a glorious bloodbath to conclude the summer of Ark. I wandered around the island with a crossbow taming literally every dilo I saw, so this legion was a hodgepodge of good and bad quality dilos with minimal level-ups. I think I had about 30 when I was satisfied with the legion. I marched them up the coast until I saw a low level bronto wandering around. I drew my crossbow, shot the beast in the head, and whistled attack. It was a bloodbath. Each time the bronto swung its tail, the top of my screen was flooded with red death messages. "Your Legionnaire - lvl 20 (Dilo) was killed by a wild brontosaurus - lvl 12" (or something like that). The dilos that survived each swing were thrown backwards, and they were often unable to get in another hit before they were forced away again. When the bronto started showing blood, half a dozen battered dilos were left, and they kept on attacking each time they were struck. It was tragically beautiful. The final hit on the dilo was actually a bolt from my crossbow, and only one dilo remained. For his service, I granted him the title of 'Sole Survivor," painted him orange, and dropped him in giga territory on aggressive so he could die courageously. On the beach where the battle was fought, dozens of dilo corpses lay twisted and bloody (they glitched a bit so their limbs were stretched and twisted. It was pretty creepy to look at tbh).

Second Legion: 

Spoiler

The second legion served the next summer when my friends and I got back on Ark together. Same situation for the most part: Tman tamed the impressive stuff, and I contented myself with my average-quality tames and had my fun with them. I knew I wanted to do another dilo legion, so I put some more effort into this one. I still tamed wild dilos that  I saw and did not level them up much, but this time I had around 50 dilos, and they were generally higher quality; I had done some filtering when selecting wild dilos to tame. I led this legion up the western coast of the island, up to the border with the snowy region (an area my tribe and I call "tragedy beach" for the numerous unfortunate events that always seemed to happen on that damned beach). I had my dilos kill everything that crossed our path, from dodos to sarcos. When we finally made it to tragedy beach, I saw a level 120 wild rex and got excited. I stood back while my dilos charged the beast. They were doing well at first, since their health was higher this time around, but then the death messages started rolling in. And then more came, and then more. The bodies started to cover the ground until the yellow sand was soaked red. The Rex was seriously wounded, so I was able to run up to it with a pike and kill it, but I had lost my entire legion to that monster. It was on a public server, so I built a little sign to commemorate the event.

Third Legion:

Spoiler

Oh boy. The third legion. This time I was on singleplayer, over spring break if I remember correctly. I built myself a nice little base on the footpaw with a breeding pen so I could select for strong traits in my dilos. I was getting some pretty darn good dinos from this, and I had a legion of about 100. I started doing the named ranks by this point, according to the dilo's level, but I still supplemented my superior dilos with wild tames for dino fodder. For this legion, I wanted to travel up to carno island to kill everything that moved. I built a large, flat raft named the Dilo Deporter that would safely carry the dilos up to the island without having to deal with the long march or the obstacles along the way. I suited up in some flak armor and set sail for glorious conquest. Not even five minutes into my voyage, a stupid alpha leedsichthys decided to eat my boat. I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late, and so my legion and I were just floating in the water with the coastline barely in sight. I frantically whistled follow and started to lead the dilos back to shore, but my God, they can't swim to save their lives (oof). With the beach in sight, I thought I would be able to continue on with my conquest, but then a death message flashed its red text at me. My conscript, level whatever, was killed by a wild megalodon. Oh s**t. I looked down into the water and, of course, there were three megalodons chomping on my dilos' toes. My character had a very low oxygen stat and not-so-great health (I always min-max my characters, this one was maxxed for food i think so I gave him a big belly for fun), so I didn't want to go swinging a pike at the sharks, and I just kept swimming. When I finally washed up on the beach, one third of the legion was fish food, and the other two were bloodied. I waited for a bit so they could recover, and, not wanting to give up on my original mission, started travelling up the eastern coast of the island. You all probably know that the eastern coast has a little mangrove swamp. Oh God, the mangrove swamp. The pathfinding AI in this game is not fantastic, so trying to get through the trees was a nightmare. Dilos would get snagged on the roots of the mangrove trees, and then they would get ambushed by a sarco or a kapro and get eviscerated. The ones lucky enough to not get narc'd by boas came back with leeches. Half of the shore party died or was lost in the swamp, leaving one third of the original legion. I wasn't about to surrender, though, so I took the survivors northward still. We reached the channel between the main island and carno island and, lacking a boat, the only way we could make it over was to swim - again. I took a quick dip with my spyglass to look for megalodons, and I only saw a couple meandering about. I liked those odds, so I whistled follow and the legion began the swim across the channel. Naturally, the megalodons saw us and texted their friends, so by the halfway point between the islands, we had four megalodons chasing us. Some of them were far away and slowly closing, and a few were already under us. The legion only lost a few dilos that I definitely didn't leave behind as fish bait, and we got to the beach before the main group of sharks caught up to us. By this point, I think I had about a quarter of the original legion. I rallied my troops and looked for a target to attack, knowing full well that the legion wouldn't last too long. I saw a couple carnos mulling about near some trees and, knowing how carnos tend to get stuck in trees, sent the legion after them. When they were only a hundred feet or so away from the carnos, of course an alpha carno was appeared out of nowhere and charged the already-occupied legion, which was getting tranq'd by scorpions and chewing up the low-level carnos. I charged in myself, sword in hand, to assist my legion, but the alpha decided I was more appetizing, and chased me down. I thought I might be able to kite it away from the legion and give them a chance against their current attackers, but the alpha crippled me and I couldn't hobble away fast enough. I respawned back in the footpaw only to see death message after blood-red death message telling me the fate of my legion. I grabbed my argie and flew to the island to get my stuff. Somehow, a single dilo had become stuck on a rock above the carnage, and survived the whole ordeal. I honestly do not know how he survived; he was in aggro range for everything. I snatched him with the bird and brought him back to base. Since he was the lone survivor of the third legion, he got breeding rights even though he wasn't that good. Currently, he is a member in the auxiliary volunteer legion that will supplement my current 8 legions.

16 hours ago, Huggable said:

And if/when the legion fails, I'll just console-spawn a ridiculously high-level dilo, whom I will name The God Emperor of the Dilos, and it will kill the giga so that the spirits of the fallen legions will rest in peace. This will probably be what happens, even if I'm able to seek out a low-level giga. 

I'm waiting for a few of my friends to travel back to campus to get this show on the road, so I have time to beef up the individual legions or change my strategy if need be.

What do you guys think? Will it fail, or fail catastrophically? 

I think that their spirits will soar to Valhalla to be alongside Dilos of the past, and the Giga will have to face down the Emperor. 

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Emperor is killed by the Giga because of the superior melee range and weight-difference.  But please get recording software and film their valiant effort.  This world needs heroes.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:40 PM, Huggable said:

Am I reading to far into this or is The God Emperor a 40k reference ?

3 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

Update?

Am dying here ?

3 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Am I reading to far into this or is The God Emperor a 40k reference ?

Am dying here ?

Hopefully goes back further to real source material ca 1981 which predates your reference :) We could put a face on the basilisk and it would look a little like the God Emperor of Dune. But would need to be bigger than Titans....

Best of all just found out that there is a Dune movie coming this year. Best news in Sci Fi in YEARS!

21 minutes ago, Groovdog said:

Hopefully goes back further to real source material ca 1981 which predates your reference :) We could put a face on the basilisk and it would look a little like the God Emperor of Dune. But would need to be bigger than Titans....

Best of all just found out that there is a Dune movie coming this year. Best news in Sci Fi in YEARS!

Ah drat yours pips me by 6 years *shakes fist*. Yeah that would make more sense given the context. I can still dream though.   I dont think I have seen Dune... think I saw the new film advertised though.

My roommate last year played warhammer and he told me about the god emperor of mankind, so I was like "sweet, I like that, but a dilo instead."

One of my friends suggested taking advantage of the quetz platform saddle to make a paratrooper division. I'm currently breeding some soldiers for that.

Also: What is a good recording software to use?

12 hours ago, Huggable said:

My roommate last year played warhammer and he told me about the god emperor of mankind, so I was like "sweet, I like that, but a dilo instead."

One of my friends suggested taking advantage of the quetz platform saddle to make a paratrooper division. I'm currently breeding some soldiers for that.

Also: What is a good recording software to use?

Make sure to post that as that would be epic. Would be amusing if his personal guard were Reapers or Gigas. Sorry I stepped on you boss.... ?

Archived