Werewolf719

managarmr dive attack weak

It was a bug.  I was getting 5-6K pounce damage with a wild-tame.  Gigas and Rhinos can hit for almost that much, but only when bred and very, very leveled.  It was very obviously not intended and the increase to pounce damage was a bug.  My calculations put it hitting occasionally for 10x the normal amount of damage.

@Werewolf719, and @ArrynHellfire, this won't be reverted, as it was an intentional change.  Other dinos beyond the Managarmr are very useful.  Try them out.

ok thanks but it basically make the managarmr useless because it can only do damage throw its main attack and breath attack can only be used it you can just stay out of enemy attack range and the dive attack was doing it something good having it do about 1500 damage but 95 make it basically impossible for it to do anything it cant even kill a high level dodo at that. thanks but i hope make it do a little more damage in the future because at the rate its going they might as well be decoration's @TheDonn 

😢 

46 minutes ago, Werewolf719 said:

ok thanks but it basically make the managarmr useless because it can only do damage throw its main attack and breath attack can only be used it you can just stay out of enemy attack range and the dive attack was doing it something good having it do about 1500 damage but 95 make it basically impossible for it to do anything it cant even kill a high level dodo at that. thanks but i hope make it do a little more damage in the future because at the rate its going they might as well be decoration's @TheDonn 

😢 

Well, they are still great for travel.  You can't stay 100% in the air across the entire Island ARK anymore, and you can't kill Wild Gigas like you could back in the day without ever getting a scratch on you, and you can't dive-bomb things for as much damage as a tamed Extinction Titan hits for, but you can still outpace damn near any creature on any ARK, and can ice-laser anything into a solid block of ice so you can get away easily.  The ice-breath is still alright, it just has such a limited range that it is really a defense weapon now (like I said, things get close enough and you are in trouble, you can try to freeze and get away).  So they aren't 100% useless, but many would argue that they are mostly useless compared to their previous role.

The problem was that with a creature that benefits from saddle and imprint, attacks from outside range of anything short of another Managarmr, can stay airborne and easily ascend to the world-ceiling of ARKs in only part of a stamina bar, and can kill anything in the game efficiently and quickly while remaining 100% safe, there was little to no incentive to ever, ever, ever use anything but the Managarmr.  Especially in PvP (which PvE ARK is balanced around), the Managarmr was the only usable creature for many months.  That is really bad from a gameplay standpoint, and recognizing this, the developers rolled out wave after wave of nerfs to tune this creature down.  Many feel like the nerfs have gone too far, and the developers are allegedly watching feedback about the changes so continue to share the dissatisfaction.

On 1/12/2020 at 8:59 PM, TheDonn said:

Well, they are still great for travel....

Yes, Managarmr is now a good scout and light weight transporter. But it is not fighter anymore and as well as velonasaur lost its purpose as counter measure against corrupted on Extinction = its home map. What you can use against corrupted wyverns for example? What against Titans?

I tamed Mana just before nerf so my joy was ruined very fast. I have level 260 with damage over 400 and after freezing enemy and doing dive attack it gives for the first hit
~1000 pre-nerfed (v304.2) = Yes, I can kill Corrupted Giga L25 but only after 25 minutes of hit and run fight which is pretty fair.
~1600-2400 after "nerf" with limited jumps but boosted damage (v304.22) = Corrupted Giga L50 in 9 minutes; lower levels of corrupted wyverns with 3-4 dive attacks.
~400 after patching dive attack miscalculation (v304.4) = I would say it was not so bad as I thought it would be.
~100 after silent nerf (v304.44?) = It is lower value than its primary attack. 😞

As you can see that during very short time Managarmr become 10 times weaker. I would not call it a good job.

21 hours ago, Graviphoton said:

Yes, Managarmr is now a good scout and light weight transporter. But it is not fighter anymore and as well as velonasaur lost its purpose as counter measure against corrupted on Extinction = its home map. What you can use against corrupted wyverns for example? What against Titans?

I tamed Mana just before nerf so my joy was ruined very fast. I have level 260 with damage over 400 and after freezing enemy and doing dive attack it gives for the first hit
~1000 pre-nerfed (v304.2) = Yes, I can kill Corrupted Giga L25 but only after 25 minutes of hit and run fight which is pretty fair.
~1600-2400 after "nerf" with limited jumps but boosted damage (v304.22) = Corrupted Giga L50 in 9 minutes; lower levels of corrupted wyverns with 3-4 dive attacks.
~400 after patching dive attack miscalculation (v304.4) = I would say it was not so bad as I thought it would be.
~100 after silent nerf (v304.44?) = It is lower value than its primary attack. 😞

As you can see that during very short time Managarmr become 10 times weaker. I would not call it a good job.

I think you need to look more into the long and storied past of the Managarmr that stretches back far before the 18th of December of last year (roughly one month ago).  This thing has been constantly nerfed, my friend, you just weren't around for it.  That is not justification for this nerf, but understand, this thing has been getting worked on for a long while now.

And just so you know, the patch that limited their movement was the patch that broke the dive attack damage.  The dive attack damage has evidently had issues with its coding from the very beginning, because it has been very widely reported as being totally off balance.  It used to 100% ignore armor, and there is a very famous video of a guy dive attacking and killing a group of ~10 survivors.  That was quite a while ago.  With this recent bugging-out of the dive attack, there is a video of someone 1-tap-enraging a Giga.  It is obviously not intended to work this way, yet here you are talking about a 400% melee Mana (achievable with a wild tame of level 85) hitting for over 2000 damage with one of the most unavoidable attacks in the game.  Please do not fixate on how dodge-able or miss-able the dive attack is, either:  It matters very little because if you miss, you simply tap space, blow up into the atmosphere (out of harm's way), and try the eff again.  I personally had a wild tame one hitting for 5000 damage with the pounce.  That was nuts.

I get that it is frustrating, but also understand:  Other tames exist in ARK that can make mincemeat out of Corrupt Gigas and Wyverns, and even Wild non-Corrupt Gigas.  The problem is, you were untouchable even on a low level Managarmr with only a cursory understanding of how they work/fly, killing anything you could reach with little trouble and bounding away before it could hit you.  Maybe you'd catch a flame-breath or one single bite from a Corrupt Giga, but that isn't nearly enough to kill a Mana.  This is an issue for the game because the incentive to use anything else, even on Extinction, their home map, is totally removed.  This is a bad situation for the literally hundreds of other creatures to be in, so they nerfed it.