Help installing Ark mods on Linux server

Help installing Ark mods on Linux server

Hi all.  I've been reading through several tutorials and guides on how to install mods on a Linux server, but I'm still having issues.  I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 Server and the server runs fine with no mods.  From what I can gather, the mod installation procedure is basically copy over the "*.mod" file and "mod" directory into "/arkserver/ShooterGame/Content/Mods/" and then add "ActiveMods=xxxxxxxxxx" under "[Server Settings]" in the GameUserSettings.ini file.

I've done all this and restarted the ark service (with systemctl restart ark) but the client no longer sees the server despite it showing as "active (running)" when I use "systemctl status ark".  Under Steam's server list, it just says "not responding".  I tried waiting a while to see if it just takes a crazy amount of time to load with mods, but after about an hour it still isn't showing up in Steam's server list or in the Ark client's server list.

I changed all of the permissions of the mod file and directory (recursively) to the same owner/group that every thing else is.  To my knowledge there are no errors that I can see to indicate what might be wrong. 

I also read a couple of forums with other people asking how to install mods, and a few people were mentioning editing other files (such as Game.ini) and also editing the server execution command with something, but I think those are referring to servers that were installed differently than how I installed mine.  I did go into "Game.ini" as well and added the "[ModInstaller]
ModIDS=xxxxxxxxxxx" lines, but this causes segmentation faults and other errors upon starting the ark service.

From what I understand, it's supposed to be as simple as copying the mods to the right directory, and adding the "ActiveMods=xxxxxxxx" line to the settings file, and it should work.  But it's not.  Can anyone point me to a complete guide on how to install mods or know what I'm doing wrong here?  Thanks.

1. List the mods in your game.ini  One per line.

[ModInstaller]
ModIDS=812655342
ModIDS=821530042

2. List them in GUS.ini  as a comma separated list.

[ServerSettings]
ActiveMods=812655342,821530042

3. Put   -automanagedmods   on the end of your command line 

You don't need to manually copy any mods onto the server.  automanagedmods   will auto download and update mods on the server as long as you have them listed in your game.ini and GUS.ini

I forgot to mention that for now I'm only attempting to load one mod just so I can figure out how to get it working before I start adding more.  But in regards to your step 3 above, where exactly am I supposed to add that argument?  The way I have my server set up is I have a script in /lib/systemd/system/ark.service that has the preexec and exec commands there which are:

ExecStartPre=/home/USER/steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/USER/arkserver +app_update 376030 +quit

ExecStart=/home/USER/arkserver/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer Valguero_P?listen?SessionName=Valguero_PvE -server -logWorkingDirectory=/home/USER/arkserver/ShooterGame/Binaries/LinuxLimitNOFILE=100000ExecReload=/bin/kill -s HUP $MAINPIDExecStop=/bin/kill -s INT $MAINPI

Where exactly am I supposed to add the "-automanagedmods" argument?

It's a command line argument for ShooterGameServer ...

ExecStart=/home/USER/arkserver/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer Valguero_P?listen?SessionName=Valguero_PvE  -automanagedmods -server -log
WorkingDirectory=/home/USER/arkserver/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux
LimitNOFILE=100000
ExecReload=/bin/kill -s HUP $MAINPID
ExecStop=/bin/kill -s INT $MAINPI

See https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

On 1/11/2020 at 2:06 AM, Larkfields said:

Unfortunately no luck.  I did what you've outlined and I'm still getting errors.  When I start the service it fails and says:

Jan 13 21:41:26 ark-server systemd[1]: ark.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jan 13 21:41:26 ark-server systemd[1]: ark.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
Jan 13 21:41:26 ark-server systemd[1]: Failed to start Ark ServerWants=network-online.targetAfter=syslog.target network.target nss-lookup.target network-online.target.

Thoughts?

Basically it seems like as soon as I add "-automanagedmods" or edit the Game.ini file, it begins to give segmentation faults.  Otherwise if I leave the automanagedmod argument out and delete the contents of Game.ini the game runs fine.

34 minutes ago, ArkServerQuestion said:

Jan 13 21:41:26 ark-server systemd[1]: ark.service: Start request repeated too quickly.

Did you run a status check to confirm that the server was fully shut down before you ran the new start command? I've had a few occasions where the shutdown command completed and it returned me to the command prompt, but something still wasn't finished, I had to wait until the status check gave me a good result before I could start the server again.

systemctl status <YourServiceName>.service

46 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Did you run a status check to confirm that the server was fully shut down before you ran the new start command? I've had a few occasions where the shutdown command completed and it returned me to the command prompt, but something still wasn't finished, I had to wait until the status check gave me a good result before I could start the server again.

systemctl status <YourServiceName>.service

Yes, I made sure to check that the service was stopped.  I even went so far as to disable the service, edit the systemd file, and then re-enabled the service along with daemon-reload.  For some reason it's just not happy when I attempt to start referencing mods.

45 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

Sounds like the server starts ok with no mods.

Have you deleted all the mods that you had copied over manually?  Maybe one of those is corrupt?

Then try adding just one mod to the ini files and let Ark "automanage" it.  If Ark crashes, then try a different mod.

Yes, I made sure to go in an delete the mod that I had previously moved over manually.  I'm attempting to load Structures+ which seems to be a well supported mod, so hopefully it doesn't mean that my server is incompatible with that specific mod.  I'll try a different mod though and see what it does.

Edit: Nope, using a different mod didn't work.

On 1/11/2020 at 4:06 AM, Larkfields said:

1. List the mods in your game.ini  One per line.

[ModInstaller]
ModIDS=812655342
ModIDS=821530042

2. List them in GUS.ini  as a comma separated list.

[ServerSettings]
ActiveMods=812655342,821530042

3. Put   -automanagedmods   on the end of your command line 

You don't need to manually copy any mods onto the server.  automanagedmods   will auto download and update mods on the server as long as you have them listed in your game.ini and GUS.ini

Just out of curiousity, what if one specifies the mod list in the service file?

For example:

ExecStart=/path/ShooterGameServer TheCenter?listen?SessionName=MyCenter?ServerPassword=MyPassword?AltSaveDirectoryName=Center?MultiHome=192.168.1.15?Port=7781?QueryPort=27018?GameModIds=11111111,22222222,33333333 -automanagedmods -NoTransferFromFiltering -server -log clusterid=MyCluster

Is it still necessary to create a [ModInstaller] section in the game.ini file and/or is it necessary to use the ActiveMods= in the the GUS.ini file?

On 1/10/2020 at 10:47 PM, ArkServerQuestion said:

From what I can gather, the mod installation procedure is basically copy over the "*.mod" file and "mod" directory into "/arkserver/ShooterGame/Content/Mods/" and then add "ActiveMods=xxxxxxxxxx" under "[Server Settings]" in the GameUserSettings.ini file.

Follow up question, before you copied over the mods from your PC to the server, did you run your ARK client and make sure the mod actually installed? I suspect you have done this, but just checking.

The reason I'm asking is that Steam doesn't fully install the mods, it downloads the install kit (or update kit) and then the kit just sits there until you actually run the game client and the game client finishes the installation. This can be seen if you subscribe to a new mod, then open your game client and go to the host/local page, the new mod won't show up on the page at first but in the lower right corner you'll see the message(s) showing the mod(s) being installed. It's only after this installation is complete that you can copy them over to the server.

7 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Just out of curiousity, what if one specifies the mod list in the service file?

For example:

ExecStart=/path/ShooterGameServer TheCenter?listen?SessionName=MyCenter?ServerPassword=MyPassword?AltSaveDirectoryName=Center?MultiHome=192.168.1.15?Port=7781?QueryPort=27018?GameModIds=11111111,22222222,33333333 -automanagedmods -NoTransferFromFiltering -server -log clusterid=MyCluster

Is it still necessary to create a [ModInstaller] section in the game.ini file and/or is it necessary to use the ActiveMods= in the the GUS.ini file?

I don't think you need the mods listed in both places.

• 9 months later...

I have the same issue as the OP.

I followed the advice of Larkfields (list the mods in Game.ini, list in GameUserSettings.ini and add -automanagedmods to ark.service). In addition, I added WorkingDirectory=/home/ark/server/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux to ark.service since the dedicated server setup page states that this is necessary to download mods.

I tested with two mods, 1404697612 and 731604991 (S+). Neither work alone and they don't work together. But, the server works fine without the mods.

systemctl status ark:

$ sudo systemctl status ark

● ark.service - ARK Survival Evolved
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ark.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: core-dump) since Fri 2020-10-23 20:47:21 EDT; 3s ago
  Process: 6875 ExecStop=/bin/killall -TERM srcds_linux (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
  Process: 6957 ExecStart=/home/ark/server/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer Ragnarok?listen?SessionName=XXX?ShowFloatingDamageText=true?Port=7777?QueryPort=27015 -NoBattlEye -automanagedmods -server -log (code=dumped, signal=SEGV)
  Process: 6932 ExecStartPre=/home/ark/steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/ark/server +app_update 376030 +quit (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 6957 (code=dumped, signal=SEGV)

The odd thing is that I've had this server working with the mods since March (manually copied). It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I begun having issues with the mods.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am fairly certain that "-automanagedmods" only works with 1 host provider (nitrado iirc).

If you are running your own Linux server, you need to take a couple extra steps.

SteamCMD can download the workshop mods but they are 100% unusable by themselves since they are just archives that need a very specific method to decompress them and to create an associated .mod file.

I have been creating some documentation on how to host Ark on Ubuntu Server.

You will need Python3, arkit.py and Ark_Mod_Download.py.

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LHammonds/ark-bash/main/arkit.py  --output-document /tmp/arkit.py
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LHammonds/ark-bash/main/Ark_Mod_Downloader.py  --output-document /tmp/Ark_Mod_Downloader.py

The downloader script was modified from the original format which was mainly for Windows platform but now works on Linux.  However, it was supposed to handle downloading all the mods at once but that did not work and I never fixed it.  Just call the script for each individual mod you want downloaded and extracted.

Here is an example of how to call the script for the mod "1609138312" where the game is installed at "/opt/ark/template" and the steam command is "/usr/games/steamcmd"

python3 /opt/ark/Ark_Mod_Downloader.py --modids "1609138312" --workingdir "/opt/ark/template" --steamcmd "/usr/games" --namefile

It will use SteamCMD to download it to the steamapps folder and once done, it will extract it, create the .mod file and place it in the correct "ShooterGame/Content/Mods" folder.

LHammonds

Archived