Caving or Diving First?

click56

With a low level bary I'd say you can hit up the easy cave for chitin and some loot from the chests.

As far as diving goes, top-left of the map you can pick up lots of pearls right where the jungle meets the frozen tundra in the water, no need for diving equipment. You can also pick up lots of oil there as well the further north you go.

If you don't want to travel north (tame a ptera) then there's several oil nodes right off the cost of stone beach (on the west side of it) that are easy to access if you have 300+ oxygen, or a dino that can swim fast (your diploc thingy) but no easily accessible pearl nodes. Instead you need to be raiding beaver dams for pearls and cement paste. Check the wiki for spawn locations, but they spawn around the same place that the oil can be found.

Maybe it's just me, but I had problems finding deep-sea crates and usually they wasn't worth it, even reds. Unless you making a collection of asc plesio platform saddles.

Underwater caves on the other hand are pretty good.

I would strongly recommend getting another bary and mating them just to have imprinting bonus on your mount and have a breeding pair in case cave/underwater exploration goes bad.

For me the flippin super-jellyfish make diving a pretty late-game endeavor or whenever I get a Basilosaurus.  Yes you can swim around them and such.  But just a single one is able to completely ruin your adventure and the loot is usually not worth it.  The Baryonyx is a great cave tame but as somebody else said: get at least that imprint bonus.

Archived