Gigantopithecus... Good In Caves?

click56

Gigantopithecus... Good In Caves?

I am relatively new to the game and I am going to start doing some caving. I thought about which animal to bring with me and here are my options: A level 33 baryonyx (primitive saddle) a level 42 beezlebufo (ramshackle saddle) or finally a imprinted level 39 gigantopithecus. Which should I bring can they fit and what armor/weapons should I bring. I am level 80 so please consider that.

Bary is one of the best choices. Fits most places swims without oxygen etc. Sounds like SP but realize cave mobs are pretty high lvel compared to outside. So you expect to see alot of max level mobs (for your settings). Also lots of stuff going to try and knock you out so be prepared. Personally would try and find higher level bary.

If you are interested in stats I usually run the swamp cave with a 500-700 melee 5-10k imprinted Baryonyx with a 70ish armor saddle and my Baryonyx usually handles very well.  Make sure you bring bug repellant for any caves you dive, it keeps centipedes from aggroing on you and melting your armor, which they can do even while you are mounted.

The megatherium is an indestructible tank.

Mine (bred) has 24k HP, 600 melee, but a good level 140+ wild tame will still get plenty of stats. You only need 5k HP really, but mine is bred for brood boss fights. It has an AoE attack, not unlike the one the bary can use underwater, but doesn't stun.

And the best benefit is it's big enough that centipedes can't hit you (most of the time) while riding on it. I don't bring bug repellant into caves while riding it, I bring aggro flowers so I can get every single monster in the cave to come to meet its maker for that sweet exp.

I've been able to ride mine through every single easy/medium cave without getting stuck (occasionally you have to break crystals on the wall and such). Don't bring it into the snow cave though, only rexs should go in there. :P

Once you get one, you should start farming the swamp cave for xp and high end BPs. Just bring a backup gas mask in case a centipede does manage to get a hit in, happens about 1/10 runs.

Thank you I think I will just see if I can find one of either and then tame it. Also has anyone ever actually tried using a giga in the caves? I know it is smaller than megatherium so it should be able to fit. I might just use one out of curiosity I have about 15 of them so it wouldn't be a horrible loss if I lose them.

33 minutes ago, click56 said:

Also has anyone ever actually tried using a giga in the caves? I know it is smaller than megatherium so it should be able to fit. I might just use one out of curiosity I have about 15 of them so it wouldn't be a horrible loss if I lose them.

Gigantopiticus and giga abbreviation are to most players completely different animals.

Giga to most is gigantasaurus sorry if the spelling is off. Those are huge and most definitely wouldn't fit in any cave.

The gigantopiticus on the other hand isn't something I have tried or would try so I can't help there. I looked at a couple of the caves and the giganto will fit in some not all.

I use Barry's, frogs megatheriums, allo, sabers in caves. 

The wiki can advise you on who can fit in what cave. Just Google the cave you want to go into * swamp cave island ark wiki for instance and it will display everything you need to know.

Archived