Weigh In: Winter Wonderland 4: Good and Bad

Cedric

Cons

The event was disabled on the unofficial cluster I play on after a week or so due to the toxicity raptor claus brought to the server (this was PVE). People are still sore about it now, either 'cos they didn't get the chance to enjoy the xmas event and hence no chibis, or 'cos of personal animosities started over people stealing / monopolising gift drops.

I really do think WC should consider introducing a cooldown on PVE on how many gifts people can receive per hour or or even per day to allow the less bombastic players a shot at getting the chibi next year. Those gift drops broke communities apart. Maybe you collect one item from raptor claus per day and then put it in ur stocking and wait 12hrs to see what santa brought u? Maybe you could collect carrots and biscuits from caves or random spots on the map to leave for santa to increase chances of getting better gifts. Might stop larger tribes locking everyone else out, that's not PVE and certainly not the xmas spirit. Would also be fun if everyone received their santa gifts at the same time, hearing what other ppl got and trading with them. Bringing ppl together is far more xmas-y.

Pros

Island snow was beautiful, really enjoyed that.

Xmas dino colors good. How about some purple next year?

Chibis excellent idea even if it backfired a little on v busy PVE servers and quite a lot of people missed out on those 5 levels.

Xmas decorations good.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PROs:
- Loved the Chibis, great little addition to an event for an amusing new thing to collect and chase like crazy people!
- Enjoyed the extra Christmas decorations, and the jumpers were cute! 
- Enjoyed the 2x everything.
- Coloured dinos are always nice!
- Love the Raptor Claus mechanic, would love to see similar for other events (saw someone above suggested Cupid Oviraptor for Valentines, this sort of thing would be great! Cupid Ovis would be my shout though! ? )

CONs:

- Hard to believe we still can't have the Christmas snow on maps other than the Island after 4 years
- The uncommon/rare chibi drop rate was insanely low... I gathered well over 200 chibis and only got one uncommon amongst them, so I kinda gave up tbh. Was really disheartening to collect more than 10 or 20 of some of the more common ones, and only one uncommon and 0 of any of the rare ones... 
- More Raptor Claus gifts per visit would be great, or perhaps making it so that anyone who goes to a gift can take the items, rather than only the first person... It made a lot of servers EXTREMELY unfriendly over Christmas :/ Making it so that all gifts actually land inside the map would be great too!

Probably already stated multiple times, but going to say the only thing that stood out on the event was the absurdly low RNG of some of the chibi. I play on a very low population unofficial cluster and would often collect about 10-20 raptor clause presents per (IRL) day for almost the entire duration of the event. I also set up a gacha clause base with an item collector and crystal cracker to facilitate going through thousands of crystals from single mistletoe and coal feeding the gacha. Out of over 800+ chibi I am still missing 8 of the unique and rarer chibi. Bog spider, Cherufe, direwolf, phoenix, rock drake, shapeshifter(Small), shapeshifter(large), and snow owl. I can't imagine how this would have worked for official or populated servers where the gifts were fought over.

I agree with most of all these comments:

Pros: Awesome Color combinations, 2x everything, Chibis are awesome!, Extra levels

Cons: For a Holiday event it seemed to have brought the worst out of some people, 

***I would suggest having the Chibis be like the MINI-HLNA, where it respawns with you and not stay on your dead body. Especially on the glitchy maps, where you are susceptible of slipping into the mesh of the map. I see a lot of sad players in the future. ***

Great event overall! 

When turned off  you broke it for unofficials. We tend to run events until a new one is started but Raptor Clause is gone. Only Gacha Clause and colors remain active. We are a small population server so the package stealing animosity was not an issue at all.

Be nice if Raptor Clause would be reactivated in the event code.

Fist of all. Well done! This was a fun event that kept most of my tribe mates happy for the entire event.

Pros:

2x breeding was awesome!

Colored Dinos

Loot, though repetitive was very nice

Chibis were awesome. Really liked them, though the rare was were RARE! I gave up at the end. I got a shapechanger only to have the server crash and reset. They also reset on me constantly. Was very annoying to get to level 3 and to log back in to a level 1. 

+5 Levels as amazing. Very pleased.

Cons:

Santa Drops. Very toxic. Would rather have something like the arkeology or Halloween  events where a Chrstmas Tree and/or Snowman appear like the bone piles with coal/mistletoe  and gifts. This would mean the stuff spawns around all players of all abilities. I really felt sorry for new players who just couldn't get to the drops before those tribes with wyverns/manas/phoenix/griffins or snow owls. Additionally the griefing that happened was bad. Kiting dinos to players and player bases and the endless global chat where people complained was silly.

It is sad how such a great event players turned on one another.... but overall it was a great success!!!

Thank you Wildcard!

Pros:

Chibis, I managed to get 44 individual chibis, plus several hundred duplicates on an official pve server.

Dino Candies, I literally filled a vault with dino candies

Cons:

Present drop system, maybe make it that the first person to land on the present will be the one to get it, this will force people to use Pterranodons, Argents, and Snow Owls, cannot be opened until it hit the ground. In PVP you could kill the person riding the present down to claim it for yourself, but in PVE you would have to move on to the next present. One person could get multiple if they hadn't been claimed by others.

Dino Candies: They disappeared after the next major update, there was barely any time to use many of them.

Gear, while most of the gear was great, I would have liked to see ascendant hatchets and picks as well as flak and harder to find dino saddles like rex, mosasaurus, giga, and quetzal. I got a ton of lances, sickles, and terror bird saddles.

On 1/8/2020 at 4:13 PM, Cedric said:

Weigh In: Winter Wonderland 4: Good and Bad

We're looking to get some feedback about the event.  If you could do me a favor and structure this into pro's and cons.  If you have no pro's, that's fine but please keep it on topic and related to Winter Wonderland 4.

We'd also like to hear your opinions on chibi's and chibi's you might like to see in the future if it's something you like.

Pro: I like all the events the new colors are fun to tame. It would be nice if a new feature is put in at the same time. 

Con: Chibis are cool and all but the fact they reset back to lvl 1 when you kill things with a mount rather than your character was pretty annoying. Maybe next time the Wc crew can test a little more before just rolling it out. We are not your QA team.

Removing the decorations is by far the grinchiest thing you can do to us.  Who cares about chibis........  My base looks plain again.

Like for real, you have limits on how many you can place so it shouldn't be an issue.

What else is there to say?    It's almost as if you like to troll people into something fun and then take it right away.

Could I have a real reason why you choose to remove holiday decorations?

(Please to god don't say optimization)

• Wildcard Community

I've just wanted to let everyone know that I've done a recap of this thread.  Please note, this is just a summary of what I'm seeing.  Thanks for everyone that has submitted feedback so far.

Pros:
 - Rewarding loot (chibis / player levels)
 - Better colored dinos
 - Event Rates

Cons:
 - Rates (Spawn, Drop)
 - Event mechanics encouraged toxic behavior
 - Holiday decorations don't persist

Please note that I've disregarded the technical issues with the event for this summary, but they aren't ignored.

Running only PVE servers, I'd say:
Pros: Decorations, Rewards, Dino Colors
Cons: Over 200 chibis and not 1 phoenix.. Maybe too rare?, Decorations aren't persistent
Raptor Clause made many passes, dropping glorious, yet inaccessible gifts, on the other side of the map wall on Scorched Earth. Not sure about whether this happened on other maps

Pro : 

2x xp, breeding, hatching etc... top super good 5 extra lvls perfect

Cons :

Only way to collect chibis made ppl become super toxic and greedy.

Chibi levels bugging not work.

Rare chibis needs to be balance as its super hard to get them over 5k crystal and just one.

Hope you guys can sort it for this coming event

PRO: 

1 hour ago, Cedric said:

Please note that I've disregarded the technical issues with the event for this summary, but they aren't ignored.

Just trying to alert you to this, as Tweets, and that topic, aren't replied to: 

And, just because I don't want to be "that guy" ...

PRO: On the surface, having the event overall is quite fun, especially on PvE servers where people did the "first at" the gifts, and others flew off to others.

CON: Those that lose the Christmas spirit on PvE servers, doing server jumping to servers they aren't even established on with drakes to "steal" gifts, laugh and cuss out the servers, then leave. 

Overall though, I enjoyed it! 

On 1/8/2020 at 3:28 PM, JohnnyWaffles said:

Cons:

Maybe a more random gift distribution like piles or pumpkins from the other events.

This!!! ^^^^^

I left my Val server as the level of toxic people was OFF the charts.  We lost a few drakes on the surface getting presents - also quite a few presents were behind the barrier on the surface!

Pro:

x2 applied to everything, chibis are a cool addition and its good to have more player levels, the event encouraged pvp over drops.

Cons:

Chibis are glitchy and often lose their exp which is a hard grind to level them up (player xp getting lost as well, if you mind wipe you lose 5 levels), chibis were a little too rare, loot from event drops was worthless (other than chibis) eg who wants an asc lance bp DILO

• Cedric unpinned this topic

Archived