Weigh In: Winter Wonderland 4: Good and Bad

Cedric

2 hours ago, Cedric said:

Weigh In: Winter Wonderland 4: Good and Bad

We're looking to get some feedback about the event.  If you could do me a favor and structure this into pro's and cons.  If you have no pro's, that's fine but please keep it on topic and related to Winter Wonderland 4.

We'd also like to hear your opinions on chibi's and chibi's you might like to see in the future if it's something you like.

Loved the event.  My only complaint is that the packages seemed to drop the same chibis over and over and rarely dropped the others.  Maybe in the future make it to where certain chibis drop on different days of the event then the last one or two days release them all so those that missed them on other days have a chance to get them.  Also the christmas packages need to be reevaluated because the only person that we could get to open the gifts was the person that placed them unless you destroyed them with weapon.  Tribe loved the event though.  It was a good time  thank you and keep on utilizing your creativity to come up with things like this.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play on Xbox and this is what I found
Pros:
- Chibis
- The Island having Snow (Nice to see custom changes to a map for the event)
- New Skins

Cons:
- Not Enough unique Skins
- Low Spawn rates on some Chibis
- The Island Having Snow (Bloom sucks on Xbox as it is, Snow made it worse)
- No Snow for other maps

Suggestions for next year:
- Add New Skins more unique skins, for example Angel Wings would be cool even if it's just for aesthetic, also stuff we can use to define our characters and make em more diverse in look
- Get and Option on console to turn off bloom, so were not blinded next year (I don't want to hear about the single player commands stuff either)
- Chibis could use better spawn rates on some of them

Absolutely loved the event. I only have a few suggestions. 

Let us be able to keep decorations. It was exciting to get holiday lights and then to decorate our breeding stations and gacha stations with holiday lights. Sad to see them go.

Chibi names. I've accidentally (I get excited, don't judge me) named a few chibis eeee or FFFF. Also, when you trade chibis for expensive end game items, it is unfortunate to have some silly name on the chibi you traded so much for.. (I have a phoenix named 'Let me smash'.. ?).

PLEASE for future events that include colored dinos, include 2x taming. It's really frustrating to find such a beautiful dino and knowing you have to sit there for 2 hours, in addition to leveling your chibi/breeding/farming, etc. There is just so much to do with limited time. I appreciate the boosted rates, but why not including taming as well? For example, we now have 2x taming this weekend and all of the colors are gone. ???

Overall, it was a successful event for myself and most of my tribe. We really enjoyed going out every night and grabbing the drops, sharing and trading chibis within the tribe. In my opinion, the length was very nice considering a lot of people still spent time with their families and didn't have to worry about rushing to get back online. 

Thank you for trying something new. We appreciate it.  ?

PS: WATER DINO CHIBIS WOULD BE AMAZING. KLOVEYOUBYE

Pros - 

event colors were great

2x breeding and taming was a nice bonus

chibis spiced things up

cosmetic skins was cute 

decorations was fun to use 

cons-

drop rate or rare chibi

method of distribution of presents

many updates during event causing loss of tranqed  event Dino’s and trapped Event Reapers causing frustration for a 5min update this occurred almost daily on our Val server

my suggestions 

have Christmas tree spawns random in the wild where you harvest them for decorations example stockings, Christmas trees... once obtained and placed by player each tree spawns 1 present every mid night when raptor claws flys across the sky ...from these presents you get either a  chibi, a blue print, coal, a piece of armor or weapons, saddles. Stockings once’s placed also at midnight spawn either candies, food items , kibble, ingots, poly, and skins and mistletoe.. middle toe and coal is still trade able to gatcha claws but gatcha claws is now tame able as a temporary tame using coal and mistletoe who after the event turns into a event gatcha who no longer gives gifts and crystals are boosted by being near decorations

Really enjoyed it. My only criticism would be the consistency of repetitive drops. For some really great ascended items, (since I've never found one on the island before this event,  soooooo, yeah me! ) but I kept getting the same ones over and over. Got enough ghillie armor/ sickles/ swords to last a lifetime but could find a pump shotgun or longneck to save my life. And I was on looking every day. That being said, it wad awesome fun, although gacha claus hates me! Lmao, good job guys! 

Pros:

chibis were new to game

2x breed and tame

cons:

the toxicity on pve for presents people logging in just before drop run population goes from 4-20 not giving anyone a chance to get presents.

some higher tier chibis way to rare for example my tribemate and i have acquired over 2k chibis and we had to trade for wyvern bog spider and sabertooth

standing behind a gacha claus for a whole ingame day to spend 80coal then doing a run and collecting some 40more is really annoying as i have over 1k each of coal and mistletoe that i had no time to run through a gacha this also gave me no time to breed or tame during the event everything was to get the rare chibis for the whole event so it was wasted for me being a semi solo tribe

14 minutes ago, HiImDani said:

Absolutely loved the event. I only have a few suggestions. 

Let us be able to keep decorations. It was exciting to get holiday lights and then to decorate our breeding stations and gacha stations with holiday lights. Sad to see them go.

Chibi names. I've accidentally (I get excited, don't judge me) named a few chibis eeee or FFFF. Also, when you trade chibis for expensive end game items, it is unfortunate to have some silly name on the chibi you traded so much for.. (I have a phoenix named 'Let me smash'.. ?).

PLEASE for future events that include colored dinos, include 2x taming. It's really frustrating to find such a beautiful dino and knowing you have to sit there for 2 hours, in addition to leveling your chibi/breeding/farming, etc. There is just so much to do with limited time. I appreciate the boosted rates, but why not including taming as well? For example, we now have 2x taming this weekend and all of the colors are gone. ???

Overall, it was a successful event for myself and most of my tribe. We really enjoyed going out every night and grabbing the drops, sharing and trading chibis within the tribe. In my opinion, the length was very nice considering a lot of people still spent time with their families and didn't have to worry about rushing to get back online. 

Thank you for trying something new. We appreciate it.  ?

urm.... it was 2x taming...

3 hours ago, Cedric said:

Weigh In: Winter Wonderland 4: Good and Bad

We're looking to get some feedback about the event.  If you could do me a favor and structure this into pro's and cons.  If you have no pro's, that's fine but please keep it on topic and related to Winter Wonderland 4.

We'd also like to hear your opinions on chibi's and chibi's you might like to see in the future if it's something you like.

The presents were the most toxic part of ARK, it’s kind of a disrespectful thing to see someone waiting for a present and then just pull up and try to race them for the present. I understand it’s technically like regular loot drops, but that doesn’t take away from how toxic they are and how much people get in fights over them. Just stating they are a free-for-all isn’t good enough. It’s just pure respect/disrespectful IMO

Not sure where these fall into pros vs cons, but these would be my ideas for the future:

2x Breeding should be standard at this point outside of events

2x everything else for EVO events is still fine (2x Breeding as well if not made standard)

Chibi 'Bookshelfs' with 100-300 slots!!!!! <<< Seriously please do this!!! Maybe call it a Chibi Stand like a dermis stand but 100-300 slots idk but plz chibi bookshelf!!

Candy 'Bookshelfs' with 100+ slots!! Maybe call it a lollipop stand or something lol

Chibis are cool, but they need their own slot vs using offhand slot same for HLNA (cant use shields)

Chibi converter needs to be implemented to build up to the super rare ones, or the super rare 7 (up to 12 depending on who u ask) need to be less super rare, the genesis chibis would have been an awesome extra selling point for the genesis DLC but they were so rare most average players didnt know they existed so they didnt bother trying

Chibis should just go ahead and have qualities associated with them, go ahead and use Primative/Ramshackle/Apprentice/Journeyman/MasterCraft/Ascendant

RaptorClaus Gifts once opened, (at least on PvE) need to give 60 second debuff that you cannot open another gift. this will allow sharing, which is part of the intent of PvE, but also if not enough players are around, it is still possible to get each gift. If added to PvP as well, players may actually have to defend a gift for a few moments, vs snatch and grabs. OR, simply make all the gifts only able to be opened at the same time, once all have landed at least. then, if theres many people playing, they will share in one way or another, and u can still get them all if ur the only one on the server trying (gotta be fast though)

gachaclaus, oh boy, so the mechanic behind gachaclaus is anti-PvE. PvP players can simply pickup the wild gachaclaus and drop them in a pen, making using coal and mistletoe extremely simple and quick, PvE this is MUCH more difficult, still possible, but requires lots of skill using gasbags, or wyv, rare flowers, etc. to move them into right place and trapping them. this should be equal for PvE and PvP whichever way you want to go with that. (even Graple+Flying mount for PvE would equalize this)

also gachaclaus; whatever the mechanic for getting a super rare is, this needs to be able to be clarified if its on a per-gacha basis (kind of like how normal gachas get 1 'rare' quality on their production table like element dust) if GachaClaus has this same mechanic (like 7 different versions of element dust gachas and ur trying to get a phoenix by randomly feeding random gachas and then after hours of time u finally figure out *maybe* this 1 isn't a super rare gacha) it should be able to be confirmed ingame , Then its just a numbers game, which is what I think the intent of the GachaClaus crystals was supposed to be. If its REALLY-REALLY 100% random on every crystal for which chibi u get, then the super rares need to be less super rare (maybe 1-2, but 7ish is too much)

feeding gachaclaus, if the intent for them was ONLY eating a 10 stack of coal/mistletoe at a time, then there doesn't need to be another option like feeding 1 at a time. having 1 coal/mistletoe give you the same (noticeable) chances for an item as 10, makes average player waste chances to get a super rare chibi, and makes people in the know feel like they have to force feed 1 at a time because they are missing out, if there was only a set amount it ate, we could load them up and be much less stressed while feeding them as they would only eat the right amount each time, personally I spent hours the last few days feeding multiple gachaclaus (avg 4 at once) over 4.5k coal/mistletoe 1 at a time, over multiple hours to get 3 'super rares' out of them all and gave up after I had 800 more coal/mistletoe left and didnt have the energy or will to do it anymore

More Chibis would be nice, but a more reliable way of getting them in the future would be much much easier, even if it was a build-up feature, (2x Prim Chibi for another Prim/Ram Chibi, 2x Ram for another Ram/App Chibi, 2x App for App/Journ, 2x Journ for Journ/Master, 2x Master for Master, 4x Master for Ascend (currently super rares) etc.)

Lots of stuff in there, lol Thanks!

I enjoyed this event a lot. missed out last year due to how sick I was and the year before didn't live up to what i was expecting.
any way heres the pros and cons on the event.

Pros: Chibis, rare blueprints, winter island theme, Christmas colored creatures, the 2x breeding and taming

Cons: Chibi rarity, splitting chibi types between both raptor claus and gacha claus, rare blueprints being almost the same type (ghillie armor and swords) making them very common, missing rain/snow weather affects, a glitch when getting xp for your chibi sets it back to level one

one thing i would like to see is make the chibis more intractable like performing emotes or even interacting with other chibis, like a chibi rockdrake sensing a chibi reaper nearby.

The chibis, while interesting, look pretty dumb.  It should be just a scaled down character model, not some weird dis morphed creature.  One should also be able to collect all of them.  Getting nonstop trikes, moschops, and mammoths is annoying.  The gachaclaus' seemed to be useless as well.  You needed to be able to feed them hundreds of coal to even start getting uncommon chibis.

Where did the placed Christmas items go?  Halloween items stuck around for quite a while before the turkey trials kicked in.  There was nothing in the posts about the items decomposing once the event ends.  

The trees should also get the winter theme as well, just like they did for the fall theme.  

In the end I got some neat things, especially green and red abherrant dire bears so that was worth it.  Next time for the Christmas tree and wreath, try to stick with the same type of colors as the actual Christmas light strands, the overabundance of purple threw off the feel.  And I know I'm getting into the details here but I kept seeing "holiday tree" or "holiday stocking" what is that?  Those are Christmas specific decorations, everyone knows this, including the vast majority of your player base that celebrates Christmas.  Let's have a bit more accuracy in the details next year.

I am a PvE official player.
I like having a chibi. Took me a bit to warm up to it.

I dont like how chibis are distributed. I am pure PvE because  I dont like competition. The drops encourage competition.

I looted very few for the whole event. I want some of the dances, but it was too much pressure to get enough mats.

About that peer pressure. When I went to grab my first in a 24h period, it was because it was less than 10 foundations away, felt like Raptor claws was giving me a present specifically.

But from that same one, some jerk threatened me. A guy on a ptera zoomed past me. It was an empty threat, but it made me have a panic attack. I never looted anymore on that server. I was in the process of moving out, having been there since it opened, but finding myself getting too old to upkeep more than one server.

So, having not grabbed any for a few days because of that incident, I saw one land super close to where my base on my main (and only PVE official) server. I looted it, and like the last time days before, someone complained in general about me taking it.

It's on my lawn, literally less than 20 foundations away from my base.
I dont like being complained about.

Not looting any guarantees a lack of complaints about me taking any.

I have three Chibis.
One looks like one of my tames. So I use that one.

To all you folks who like adrenaline rush and competition, you do you. That's fine.
I'll do my best to stay out of your way. I dont want to fight.

I want to build and collect pretty things. Chibis arent one of them (even tho they are super cute and I wanna collect them all) because of these people complaining about me for my rare attempts to loot, being treated as if I was all the others dozen attempts that day that got it before they did. I get complained about for just looting one, having not looted any the whole real life day until that one. Not looting more for many days after, and the next one I decide to go after, another complaint.

Good going discouraging me from getting more. I dont wanna anger you because I grabbed one in a 24h period.

If you didnt get any at all, my heart aches in sympathy. I'm sorry you missed out. I hope for more next year.
I tried to offer the chibi I got on my lawn that the guy on ptera threatened me...
But I got no response.
Gave it to someone else who wanted it. You missed out man.
I like to be nice.
but this, only one person can loot each item, and not enough to go around. More mistletoe and coal needed in each imo, need enough so everyone who plays can get every limited item imo.

But overall, for me this event's loot drops were a whole lotta nope!
Discourages sharing, encourages fights.
Not a fan.

But I do like the green creatures. I tamed some. Love it. Green. Very Green.

Pros: 

- Chibis (great idea), new currency

- Raptor Claus, motivates people to get out of their bases

- 2x taming, harvesting, breeding, XP in one event

- Many more (most have already been listed)

- Overall I thought it was an amazing event and I was shocked that you were able to pump out 54 new dino models, a levelling mechanic, and all the old stuff we love from previous Christmas events, while also working on Genesis, not to mention it was right after a great Thanksgiving event and Extralife event. Great job Wildcard

Cons:

- Chibi levels resetting every server reset was a HUGE demotivator

- Cannot display Chibis by putting them on a taxidermied player (or through other means)

- Blueprint quality usually came with high cost (would be nice to see a few more Apprentice, Ramshackles, JM for a chance at better value BP's) 

- Raptor Claus could use a proximity based claiming system where the present changed color to indicate someone is in the area. 

- Raptor Claus dropped presents out of the map on almost every map and wouldn't drop presents over water (except for over the water bubbles on Center). On the Center there were some rounds with 0 presents. They also wouldn't descend all the way when over the Center Island, so they were unclaimable

- Raptor Claus only came to one of the 3 aberration surfaces

- Land alpha spawns seemed to be decreased during the event 

- You didn't actually stop Enraged Rexes from giving XP when you said you patched them, they still give XP towards Chibi's. 

- Gacha Claus crystals wouldn't regenerate if there were no resources to smack on the ground, resulting in them either eating the coal and not giving crystal, or just never eating the coal. 

- Normal Gacha spawns on extinction seemed broken during the event

- Raptor Claus pathing should be more thought through on some maps, seemed to be the same coordinate vectors on every map which caused some janky present locations.

- Chibi levelling is extremely grindy when considering youre only getting the potential for more levels, not the levels themselves

- When the event ended, all XP built up on stored cryos was set back to 1 available level on some servers, but the XP bar was still increased as if the levels had been put in, meaning the Dino's could never be levelled again. 

- Some dinos that would not usually be considered "rare" were quite rare to find in chibi form (Direwolf, Argy, Snow Owl, Gigantopithicus, etc.) Not sure if this was intended

- Some skins and emotes disappearing after the event

- Naming the chibi should be an option in the right click context menu rather than a pop up every time it's equipped

- Need option to rename Chibi's

- Need option to equip chibi over shield (like H.L.N.A)

- Can't use Chibis if you don't have their corresponding map installed

PROS: Chibis I 100% would love to get more.. if there was another event to add them too I would love abberant ones too. Rare ones were very elusive. Missed out on 7 out of the 54. 

SUGGESTION: Server wise it maybe helpful to have the drops not disappear after one person collects it.. maybe lock the drop if player one got it they can't get it again, player 2 , 3 etc can still open it. Within a time frame of course. 

So many people missed out due to toxic behaviour.

Raptor Claus loot seemed odd to me. Building supplies and the same items each time. Pistol, bow, saddles, ghillie. I think it needed a bit of a shake up on the loot table.

Played the event on two maps the island and scorched. Scorch dropped more gifts. 

CONS: The length of the event was a bit much maybe finish on New year's Day. The super bright blanket of snow on the island on Xbox turned off bloom and light shafts in console commands adjusted gamma it was just blinding. Had to move to another map it was causing headaches.

11 hours ago, AlmightyGamerYT said:

I think with all Events the placed Decorations should stay. But the Event was good, The Rare Chibis were probably a little to rare. But it has made the Trading Discords interesting. Seeing a Chibi go for 3000 Tek

Agreed decorations would be amazing if they stayed all year round, when the event started, my Halloween gravekard dissapeared completely which made me a little sad

When reading replies that say that the raptorclaus presents promoted fighting or the free for all aspect and discouraged sharing and friendliness,  consider that these replies are most likely from the PvE community as it seems clear that promoting fighting is a good thing on PvP but is not seen as a good thing to the majority of PvE players, who see the game more of a all players landing together against the environment type of deal. This might change the way you read certain comments, also @complexminded it might be an idea when asking for feedback in future to either have seperate threads for PvE and PvP or get a system implemented where each reply must specify by way of required field wether they are PvP or PvE, even if that is only visible to the Dev team for the sake of understanding viewpoints in regard to feedback better. As it seems rather clear that some of this feedback reads very differently if you make the assumption the person making it is on a hostile/friendly PvP server compared to a hostile/friendly PvE server

• Cedric unpinned this topic

Archived