Why are there not more weapons in ark

randomperson363

Why are there not more weapons in ark?

So currently these are the weapons in ark (this list doesn’t include explosives or tek, and it also doesn’t include basic harvesting tools)

Melee
- spear

- pike

- sword

- club

- electric prod

- whip

- chainsaw

- lance ( I believe it’s useless prove me wrong )

Ranged Weapons

- slingshot

- bola 

- bow

- crossbow

- compound bow

- boomerang

Firearms

- Harpoon gun

- simple pistol

- fabricated pistol

- longneck rifle

- shotgun

- pump action shotgun

- assault rifle (needs a buff)

- fabricated sniper rifle

- flamethrower 

Attachments

- silencer

- flashlight

- scope

- holo scope

- laser

I think ark needs to add a more expansive weapon system. I believe adding more Melee weapons would be interesting and could change some of the early game combat, and bring back melee for late game players. Now I personally have no idea what melee weapons ark could add. I do have some ideas for fire arms though I think stocks and foregrips could improve the assault rifle. I also think that light machine guns and multiple assault rifles, and maybe even an sub machine gun would be a good addition to the game. Also side note what about grenade launchers.

What do you guys think?

There are a ton of medieval weapons that could be added, but I'm not sure Ark's design would support the new weapons. Like, I'm not sure how much more different they'd be than what already exists.

For starters, a battleaxe would be a nice addition. Slower and stronger than the sword, perhaps more effective against armor. Metal mace/morningstar for some real anti-armor fun, perhaps also useful to knock something out but would do significantly more damage than the club. 

A throwing axe would be cool, too. Alternatively, the option to throw the hatchet like the spear. 

It's too bad the metal spear is called a pike, otherwise they could actually add wood and metal pikes to the game. 

You should be able to wield the shield with a melee weapon, too. And there should be wooden shields as well as metal. With this implemented you could incorporate 2h weapons instead of limiting the survivor to only 1 hand. 

You could rename the Sword to Machete and then make an actual sword like a longsword or arming sword (knight sword). You could add skins too, like katana, saber, scimitar, falchion, etc. 

You could add knives, not sure why. 

Modern weapons look fine. LMGs and SMGs would add variety, but they're also a little extra. Assault rifle in a game like Ark is likely basically the same. I  guess given the above melee weapons, LMGs and SMGs fit in fine. 

They could add heavy crossbow that requires a tool to reload such as a cranequin or windlass. This would be much more powerful but require stationary reloading. Might be worthless compared to the regular crossbow and rifle. 

Glaives would be cool. It'd be like a pike except it would slash like a sword instead of pierce like the spear. 

I think you forgot lance, slingshot, chainsaw, and all the other resource harvesting tools. Anything can be a weapon. Plus ark is a dino game, tons of dinos can be used as weapons. Plus all the stationary weapons. Most of the human weiled weapons are generic which I think is fine, they cover all the basics. Maybe a battleaxe would be cool.

3 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

I don't think this would be useful for balancing weapon damage. 

Now there could be weapon skins. 2 or 3 visual variations for each weapon could me interesting but would increase the assets and size of the game and mostly just be useless.

I think that weapons are already unbalanced with the assault rifle being close to useless as it’s costs too much to fire and the way the gun’s recoil works, it becomes less useful. I don’t think it would break balancing if guns are made correctly. I did forget slingshot and chainsaw, but the rest of the harvest tools I didn’t include because they are not meant to be used as weapons and aren’t better than weapons in most cases, and I didn’t include lance because you have to be riding a Dino to use it (also side note I’ve never seen the lance used or even being remotely viable on a server) I do agree that more weapon skins would be cool like skins for fabricated sniper and pump shotgun.

16 hours ago, randomperson363 said:

I think that weapons are already unbalanced with the assault rifle being close to useless as it’s costs too much to fire and the way the gun’s recoil works, it becomes less useful. I don’t think it would break balancing if guns are made correctly. I did forget slingshot and chainsaw, but the rest of the harvest tools I didn’t include because they are not meant to be used as weapons and aren’t better than weapons in most cases, and I didn’t include lance because you have to be riding a Dino to use it (also side note I’ve never seen the lance used or even being remotely viable on a server) I do agree that more weapon skins would be cool like skins for fabricated sniper and pump shotgun.

That doesn't sound like imbalance to me, it sounds like context. Assault rifle is good, it's just resource intensive meaning it's not practical. The weapons aren't balanced by design. 

47 minutes ago, randomperson363 said:

Even if you had infinite materials it’s still bad also because weapons aren’t balance that why I suggest lmg cost lots of recourses and so would the smg

Your thread never discussed balancing anything, it just suggested that there could be more weapons. This game doesn't want balanced weapons, that would make little sense. 

11 hours ago, Kharneth said:

Your thread never discussed balancing anything, it just suggested that there could be more weapons. This game doesn't want balanced weapons, that would make little sense. 

I understand that game doesn’t use balanced weapons but aylana brought that point up and I agree that some weapons that cost more materials and are harder to get are better but some weapons are just complete trash as in the assault rifle and lance. (Also side note I did add the chainsaw)

On 1/8/2020 at 1:38 PM, randomperson363 said:

I didn’t include lance because you have to be riding a Dino to use it (also side note I’ve never seen the lance used or even being remotely viable on a server)...

Wow, you are completely underestimating the lance man. You do not have to be riding a dino in order to use a lance. In fact, you can't be riding a dino when you are using it to its fullest potential. They are, hands down, the very, VERY best weapon drop to use in an industrial grinder. You get so much freaking metal from an ascendant lance.

?

13 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

Wow, you are completely underestimating the lance man. You do not have to be riding a dino in order to use a lance. In fact, you can't be riding a dino when you are using it to its fullest potential. They are, hands down, the very, VERY best weapon drop to use in an industrial grinder. You get so much freaking metal from an ascendant lance.

?

That's what I use them for. ?

On 1/8/2020 at 12:21 PM, randomperson363 said:

Why are there not more weapons in ark?

So currently these are the weapons in ark (this list doesn’t include explosives or tek, and it also doesn’t include basic harvesting tools)

Melee
- spear

- pike

- sword

- club

- electric prod

- whip

- chainsaw

- lance ( I believe it’s useless prove me wrong )

Ranged Weapons

- slingshot

- bola 

- bow

- crossbow

- compound bow

- boomerang

Firearms

- Harpoon gun

- simple pistol

- fabricated pistol

- longneck rifle

- shotgun

- pump action shotgun

- assault rifle (needs a buff)

- fabricated sniper rifle

- flamethrower 

Attachments

- silencer

- flashlight

- scope

- holo scope

- laser

I think ark needs to add a more expansive weapon system. I believe adding more Melee weapons would be interesting and could change some of the early game combat, and bring back melee for late game players. Now I personally have no idea what melee weapons ark could add. I do have some ideas for fire arms though I think stocks and foregrips could improve the assault rifle. I also think that light machine guns and multiple assault rifles, and maybe even an sub machine gun would be a good addition to the game. Also side note what about grenade launchers.

What do you guys think?

U forgot the spyglass...indestructible  weapon...

• 10 months later...
On 1/8/2020 at 12:36 PM, Aylana314159 said:

I don't think this would be useful for balancing weapon damage. 

Now there could be weapon skins. 2 or 3 visual variations for each weapon could me interesting but would increase the assets and size of the game and mostly just be useless.

maybe some Weapons could get a TLC

Simple pistol can auto fire when not Aiming down sight (like the revolvers in RDR)

Double barrel can shoot both shots if you hold the trigger, and can uses simple rifle Rounds as a Slug (kinda like thoses Boar rifles) 

Longneck: goes through 50% of armor

Advance Pistol has more ammo, can be set to burst fire, and does a tad bit more damage

AR: when you shoot a target continuously it does more and more damage (does more damage if you continue to fire at the same target)

pump Shotgun; ReSize in third Person 

Sniper: can take off scope, and add Holo scope, or Iron sights, and does 25% armor damage

now maybe there could be a few new guns

Bolt action rifle: holds 8 shots, looks kinda like a Lee Enfield, uses simple rifle rounds, more reliable, and easy to mass produces (when primitive) but does not have the range and damage as a longneck 

SMG: holds 85 rounds, looks like a modern tomson, Sprays bullets, uses advance pistol bullets so very cheap, not good at all for range!

and Grenade launcher: its like a tek one but it only has 3 shots, and is pump action and does not have the range and diversity of ammo
(Gas, smoke, grenade, Cluster)

And for skins it could be

Engraved Forged weapons: makes you're guns you make in the smithy look fancy and engraved

Classic Pistol Skin: Looks like a 1911 but old
Tactical Pistol skin: looks like a M9

Classic AR skin: Looks like a AK
Savage AR skin: looks like a M4A1 but right and many parts missing and hide wrapped around it

Classic Shotgun skin: looks like a Spas 12
Hunters shotgun skin: looks like a Hunting shotgun with wood, hide and metal, (pump)

Classic SMG skin: looks like a Tomson with wood
Warlord SMG SKIN: Looks like a PPSH-41

Makeshift Bolt Action rifle skin: looks like a Very makeshift Rifle

Marksman Sniper skin: looks like a M14
Classic Sniper: looks like a SVD

Archived