advise Hey! I need some advise, pteranodons vs. wyverns

FlareWolf45

Hey! I need some advise, I'm playing on a solo game and have around thirty pteranodons. By mating like CRAZY. I'm taking them to fight the wyverns in hope of eggs. due to some weird settings at a specific point they one hit kill anything(I don't EXACTLY know what). My plan is to jump in, kill them, than steal their eggs. One question I have- "is there a way i can set them to aggressive and kill the wyverns without staying too close or leaving the area on wander?" If you want any more details, specific or unspecific, just ask!

Majestic T.Rex.jpg

You can whistle them onto follow and then fly around with the swarm/single if powerful enough and then whistle them to agro, I personally would whistle to follow then use a spy glass to push your "attack this target" button I believe the default is period. They will kill the wyvern you tell them to and then return unless attacked by another if on neutral, on passive they will attack it and return. 

27 minutes ago, FlareWolf45 said:

Thanks Cowgirl! Do you know what happens if I would fly up to the wyverns with them all on aggressive? Would they attack random ones? (Sorry for the late reply!)

They will attack random target on aggressive, but concentrate on a single target if you whistle them to 'attack my target'. Keep your mount on 'passive' though. When you land to grab an egg, you don't want your mount to fly off to join a fight. It's a terrible feeling to jump off to grab a wyvern egg, then watch as your mount flies off leaving you stranded.

Another strategy is to use land dinos like Rexes, that you may want to level up stronger. You can leave them nearby, then go into the wyvern area with your ptera mount, and let wyverns chase you back to where your land dinos are waiting. The wyverns will fight with your land dinos, and your land dinos will earn some XP. Meanwhile you can whitle down the wyvern numbers, then raid the nests for eggs. 

On 1/5/2020 at 6:30 PM, FlareWolf45 said:

Truefully I'm VERY exited. I might only wait a day or two before i do it.

That sounds like hilarious fun, but understand that wyverns are very threatening and can strip away HP very quickly.  Forum heroes might counter-argue about how easy they are to kill, but even they have lost dinos/gear/eggs/their own wyverns to little slipups in the various wyvern trenches.  We all have!

The breaths hit very hard, and even the bite hits really hard.  They are also very sensitive to group-aggro:  You will likely pull 2 or 3 or 7 more than you mean to trying to pull just one, and watch as they are burned, poisoned, and shocked down in a few seconds. 

-Especially if you fight a lightning wyvern...  It will go very badly!  Wild lightnings' tracking-AI, for all the things that are wonky as hell in ARK, is fully on point.  A low or mid-level lightning is very threatening to everything that isn't another lightning wyvern, with one beam being able to strip away a thousand or more HP pretty easily.  That beam also will sweep and annihilate the flock as a whole, because it pierces everything, dealing equal damage to all it can touch. 

-Poison might be a little feasible for you to tear down with a flock of 30 or so Pteranodons, but as long as it isn't too high level so that you aren't overcome with the amount of damage you have to do to whittle down the big HP pool. 

-But with a fire wyvern, you run into nearly the same problem as with a lightning because the burn a fire wyvern afflicts removes a percentage of your dino's total HP, and the amount isn't reduced by saddle armor so it is a matter of time before flame and teeth take em out of the sky.

Plus they all have pretty damn good HP and a base damage (literal amount of damage when at 100% melee damage) of 80 for the bite, which adds up quick.  Start fighting a 9k HP 240 melee wyvern, even a poison, and you reel as it chomps you for almost 200 damage nearly every second (possibly reduced by saddle armor), while hitting you with whatever breath attack they have.  And Ptera bite attack (the only attack unridden Pteras use) hits for 18 base damage.  That means that unridden, and at 700% melee damage (pretty high but doable with imprint bonus), they bite for 126 damage.  So a 9K HP wyvern, you need the flock to land 72 bites to kill it.  I think you'd have casualties, but you might be able to kill a high level poison with a flock.

Understand, I'm not trying to tell you not to do it!  That's the fun thing about ARK: You can try stuff out for fun and enjoy yourself.  But just some information in case you head to the scar with Pteras in tow, whistle them to attack a lone poison, and the poison accidentally leads them too close to a stray fire or lightning who decides he wants a piece, and you watch the flock suffer big, big losses!

50 minutes ago, FlareWolf45 said:

ok... Thank Donn! I can obviouly tell you know what you talking about and will keep that in mind. All i can say is Thx and stick around for results. (Oh and my solo game settings are EXTREME!!) Ha! 

Oh!  All my blathering is functioning under the supposition that you are using standard stat-scaling!  Changing the scaling of domesticated dinos can (and often will) tip the balance of these fights supremely in your favor...  Unless you increase the scaling of wild dinos too, then you are facing the same problem!  :P

The advantage pteras will have in a fight is their speed and turning radius. Wyverns suck at turning. and pteras are super fast. It really comes down to how well built your pteras are and your server settings for wild wyverns. If we're talking a group of 30 well built pteras vs a couple of wyverns at a time... pteras will rip them apart. 

Though Lightning Wyverns damage can be great, they are also 'damage over time', but just at a much faster pace than Firer Wyverns damage over time. So on a fast flier you can easily be hit by them but move out of the bolt fast enough to take relatively little damage. I go 'head to head' with them all the time, but usually on another wyvern.

Once you steal a decent wyverns egg to can learn to dogfight with wild wyverns and slay them easily. But... just be aware a poison wyvern can kill you easily, even when you are riding on a wyvern. Wear a gas mask when fighting them, at least until you learn how to kill them without much risk. 

I've killed literally thousands of wyvern, based on the talons I've collected. I've never died fighting them; not once. But I am on  private server; not official, and we do have Classic Fliers mod in use. 

Hey, Thank Hammer! The circumstances are well... i join a solo, leveled up, tamed a few dinos, then goes on crazy adventures that I SHOULD NOT go on (AT ALL) this early. Though i have quick level ups. (gets kinda annoying when you see "Quetz platform saddle" when you best dinos are a pack of deinchius which just learned how to play follow the leader!) Ha!

On 1/7/2020 at 2:55 AM, DeHammer said:

The advantage pteras will have in a fight is their speed and turning radius. Wyverns suck at turning. and pteras are super fast. It really comes down to how well built your pteras are and your server settings for wild wyverns. If we're talking a group of 30 well built pteras vs a couple of wyverns at a time... pteras will rip them apart. 

Though Lightning Wyverns damage can be great, they are also 'damage over time', but just at a much faster pace than Firer Wyverns damage over time. So on a fast flier you can easily be hit by them but move out of the bolt fast enough to take relatively little damage. I go 'head to head' with them all the time, but usually on another wyvern.

Once you steal a decent wyverns egg to can learn to dogfight with wild wyverns and slay them easily. But... just be aware a poison wyvern can kill you easily, even when you are riding on a wyvern. Wear a gas mask when fighting them, at least until you learn how to kill them without much risk. 

I've killed literally thousands of wyvern, based on the talons I've collected. I've never died fighting them; not once. But I am on  private server; not official, and we do have Classic Fliers mod in use. 

Yeah CF is great. I raid the trench with juiced Argies on SP (normal settings but tweaked settings). Eventually got one great lightning leveled up and then cloned it enough to wipe Manticore Alpha with no loses. If only element was easier to move...

• 2 weeks later...

Easy, go on ragna 

On surface on Val u can find only ice eggs, I don't know how can u get down with ptera to get fire one. 

On ragnarok is different story. 

I personally play on Val now. Did manage to raise 2 ice wyverns with ptera, stealing eggs and later milk. Now I need to level one to go and find fire eggs. Meybe I m wrong but fighting ice with ptera is harder from fighting fire on Val, because he slows u down and u can't do nothing. 

Geting milk is pretty easy too, without trap. Just find low lvl female and aggro him on mammoths or rhinos, park ptera on side and go for him on foot, u don't need much arrows to put him to sleep, with a good bow for sure. 

Archived