ARK Diaries... Share a crazy story... BTW Compys are Jerks!

N1NJAM005E

Now the story.

Last nite too infact lol I was taking a few low level tamed sharks out to be killed. I saw a meg whistled attack all and as soon as they engaged in battle i whistled stay and passive and pulled out the popcorn and watched as they were getting killed. then suddenly I get swarmed by 3 hungry megs. SO i try and take off but im on the newest tamed shark which only had 300 stamina which ran out fast. So as im trying to escape these 3 sharks chomping on my butt I remembered i had my blueprints on me still and if my shark dies i will die and prolly loose my prints so I was pretty panicked. I was maybe a few hundred yards from my sea base at herb island. I couldn't stop to spam meat or i would have been dogpiled on. My only thought was "get in whistling range of the Mosasurus thats chillin in my base" SO i got under my bridge and caught a lucky break. 2 of the sharks started attacking a parasuar that had fallen into the water so i only had one shark to worry about chomping on my butt. So i get in the base and whistled the mosi to me but he was stuck (herb island isnt an ideal place for a mosi) so by this time im down to maybe 20% on the shark but atleast feel safe as I could just swim to shore if it dies but oh no This shark was my tribe leaders kids and it needed to be kept alive lol. SO now the 3 are back on me and im inches away from salvation. As soon as i passed under the mosi I heard "CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP" and all 3 sharks were dead in just a few seconds. Its nice when you have the ruler of the sea at your base. SO i prevented a potential disaster disappointing a kid by killing his pet hehe. At the end the shark had maybe 10% health. Fun times :P

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shebeatsyoui said:

Next time this happens just whistle passive and the rex will run over to you then you book it like you mean it. 

I tried to do that but by then she was a goner. It happened that fast. Plus there was a most certain panic feeling when this was all going down. You wouldn't believe how easy a person forgets button commands when you are scrambling, :S

1 minute ago, N1NJAM005E said:

I tried to do that but by then she was a goner. It happened that fast. Plus there was a most certain panic feeling when this was all going down. You wouldn't believe how easy a person forgets button commands when you are scrambling, :S

yea and having to use a wheel to scroll to the command hehe. Just making sure yo knew about that trick  :) 

16 hours ago, BloodBag said:

N1NJA my condolences, I am so sorry. I never take my dinos out, and I kill every compy I see, for I learned early on what kind of horse hockey ensues. :( However, I also came here to grieve for my own loss, and if I would've brought some pets I'd still have all my stuff.

Harvesting oil in the northwest, solo pve primitive, business as usual. I look up and see a mammoth fly off the cliff above, followed by a mix of 5-7 wolves and sabers, mate boosted and pissed off. I couldn't fight them off or get away from my raft enough to keep them from killing me and destroying everything on it including my bed. So I spawn home, grab crap clothes and jump on my ptera and fly back. I see the pack and 4 bags of my stuff and the bare raft. I'm furiously checking the bags while freezing to death, grabbing things here and there but I couldn't find the stuff I had on me when I died- then they killed me again. Respawn, grab even crappier clothes, throw a dimorph on my shoulder and grab my last ptera. I don't know what happened but ptera#1 must've wiped the whole pack, they were gone. I frantically checked my bags again and again, but the one carrying my current loadout was never found. Nevermind losing the 350+ oil, the prime meat, etc. I lost my journeyman-level gear, including my pike. I always swore I'd quit if I lost my pike, as I have no blueprint for it and I've never seen another. She was very special to me. Now I also don't have the gear that kept me comfortably op and warm- confidence shattered. I gathered up my flock and rafted home in silence, almost freezing to death in the process.

I just logged off maybe an hour ago, and I am numb. This game will rip your heart out. Thanks fer lettin me vent!

As crappy as this was to have happen to you I actually liked you presentation of it. If I ever saw a Mammoth fall off of a cliff that can never be a good pre cursor to things unfolding.

I could totally see you cave person after first respawn going through the clothes going *ugh* and *damn it* as you picked something to wear. Kind of funny if you can imagine a cave person looking through clothes and doing that.

Then after the second encounter your cave person climbs on to the raft whistling for your loyal followers as you sail away with broken and tattered sail, your head drops as you begin the mostly silent ride back to base, head down weeping no doubt.

I liked it.

4 hours ago, Cymas said:

Yeah, I know that panic feeling well. I've made some really dumb mistakes in tough situations just from not thinking clearly. Obviously I didn't think that bronto thing through entirely lol, but that's the kind of mistake you only make once. On the other hand I find really analyzing where I went wrong and how to fix it afterwards really helps me be a stronger player, so I don't mind the occasional catastrophic failure. Ark is definitely not forgiving of mistakes. :|

I'm definitely having fun with the challenge, it's very different from my usual playstyle and I'm learning to appreciate animals I didn't think much (or anything) of before. I've been playing Ark since the beginning so a lot of the new animals I'd totally glossed over just from not needing them at all. My favorite right now is the elk, really underappreciated mount.

Brontos are definitely OP, they're just so slow that they can be a pain to bring with you for any sort of distance. I've learned to kind of mitigate that problem somewhat, but at the end of the day if I need something to die I'd still rather either take a spino (on my main server) or lure whatever it is to my brontos (on SP) with a faster mount.

I have never really look into the elk's, Why are they underappreciated?

Yes, Bronto's can be your best friend or your worse enemy(ies).

3 hours ago, JokerTM said:

I see a lvl 8 giga while traveling in snow biome.

Yesss! I gathered supplies for it, and as I was shooting it with tranq arrows for a while, the lil jerk climbs up the cliff I thought was safe.

1 bite, and I'm dead. Then other bite, my best argy dies. RIP Rokka.

I was angry and tamed argies in a fix of rage.

Next day, I saw it again. I drowned that lil jerk for revenge.

I would have had same reaction with just as much excitement.

I heard that is the way to tame them, stand on Cliffside and hope they can't climb up

Death From Above! Nicely done. pfft now who's dead Giga, huh? huh?

@N1NJAM005E

Herbs tend to be overlooked in favor of carnivores in general. Elks are great at gathering thatch, yes, but they're also fast, have fantastic stamina and are tough enough to take on a carno. A higher level one than mine could probably take a low-mid level rex. But it's so much more common for people to rush for a big carnivore and/or birds, so using herbs as scouts or battle mounts is quite rare in my experience. I know it's the overall divide between their roles--carnivores for battle, herbs for utility, but I think it makes animals like the elk that are actually good at both to be less appreciated than they could be.

1 hour ago, bloddstar said:

My favorite Ark story was from way back around level 50-60.  I had tamed my first Rex and was feeling pretty invincible.  I had only explored the western forest area (before the swamp was added) and wanted to check out the volcano due to all the beacons that appeared there.  I took my Rex there but by the time i arrived it was starting to get dark.  I found obsidian for the first time and was busy harvesting all of it that i could when the temperature suddenly dropped.  Before long i was at 50% health and decided i needed to make a campfire to survive.  I managed to get the materials and was happily roasting some meat to restore my health when a raptor ambushed me.  My rex came to my defense but my campfire was destroyed in the melee.  He ran off into the dark and outside of my range to see his name so i had no idea where he was.  

It was still freezing and i had taken some damage so my situation was much worse than before.  I ran around a little by torchlight and made another fire but was ambushed again by a saber.  I managed to kill it, hunker down by my fire with my back to some rocks and survive until morning.  I found my rex far down the mountain with about 10% health left.  He had apparently had an adventure of his own b/c his inventory had a rex skull helmet skin in it and was full of prime meat.  I left the area as quickly as i could and was much better prepared the next time i came back.

See that is a cool survivor story. My heart would have been pounding, suddenly pure darkness, fast music, no green lettered body guard. I would have tried to walk very quietly and tried to make a fire as well but probably would have died after second ambush.

Nice haul from your "protector", mind you it was a little greedy of it to run off but whatever :S

11 minutes ago, N1NJAM005E said:

I have never ventured beneath the water surface yet but I visualize a terrible dark, murky, creep place to be in

i didnt know scuba tanks had a limit either.

my story, dancing with a plesiasaur down at the bottom, im taking hits left and right, my shark isnt close and i forgot to put him on follow.  getting dark outside, cant tell whats up or down as im ascending.  start choking, im freaking out i pop out of the water with like a sliver of life, oh its not done yet.  im on a very small piece of ice, and since most of gear got destroyed im starting to freeze, i see my raft on penguin island, rush over there cause thats where my bird was, sprint to him, take off and fly to my base (which is in the harbor area of the snow biome) fly straight into the base and warm up, i swear i was on deaths bed.  lol

second unforgiving time, early on in my singleplayer game, i fall thru the volcano into water, swimming towards the river, well its changing between the visual of the mountain and the river.  i have no bird, no idea where he is, its dark, no torch with baddies on the banks.  punch out a dilo, run to the trees get a fire built, throw some food in. literally im in the middle of the damn island, any direction i go is no good, meanwhile my base is on the west coast at the waterfall. wait for dawn, build a raft, go south snaking down all the rivers until i get to the coast.  then ditch the raft (rock barrier and couldnt pass) and sprint to the coastline, took a breath and built another boat, sailed forever and a day it seemed north until i reached my base.  that was scary for me lol

21 minutes ago, N1NJAM005E said:

As crappy as this was to have happen to you I actually liked you presentation of it. If I ever saw a Mammoth fall off of a cliff that can never be a good pre cursor to things unfolding.

I could totally see you cave person after first respawn going through the clothes going *ugh* and *damn it* as you picked something to wear. Kind of funny if you can imagine a cave person looking through clothes and doing that.

Then after the second encounter your cave person climbs on to the raft whistling for your loyal followers as you sail away with broken and tattered sail, your head drops as you begin the mostly silent ride back to base, head down weeping no doubt.

I liked it.

why do you think there is a behemoth gate wall above my base in the snow?  falling animals is a good sign trouble is near, hell i taught my 6 year old son that, if you see animals running you get out of that area lol.

of course now i laugh when they fall off the cliff, then i grab a bird and help the rest fall.

18 minutes ago, Cymas said:

@N1NJAM005E

Herbs tend to be overlooked in favor of carnivores in general. Elks are great at gathering thatch, yes, but they're also fast, have fantastic stamina and are tough enough to take on a carno. A higher level one than mine could probably take a low-mid level rex. But it's so much more common for people to rush for a big carnivore and/or birds, so using herbs as scouts or battle mounts is quite rare in my experience. I know it's the overall divide between their roles--carnivores for battle, herbs for utility, but I think it makes animals like the elk that are actually good at both to be less appreciated than they could be.

I have been looking for a good rhino - should be a very good herb battle mount i think.  I like the idea of an herbivore battle mount since you also have the ability to harvest with it - very multipurpose.  It also won't accidentally harvest all of the enemies it defeats for mostly meat like the big carnivores do.  You can then go in and use whatever tool you want to get the right mats.  I have high hopes for the therizinosaurus - sounds like he will be good at just about everything.

12 minutes ago, Grimlock98 said:

second unforgiving time, early on in my singleplayer game, i fall thru the volcano into water, swimming towards the river, well its changing between the visual of the mountain and the river.  i have no bird, no idea where he is, its dark, no torch with baddies on the banks.  punch out a dilo, run to the trees get a fire built, throw some food in. literally im in the middle of the damn island, any direction i go is no good, meanwhile my base is on the west coast at the waterfall. wait for dawn, build a raft, go south snaking down all the rivers until i get to the coast.  then ditch the raft (rock barrier and couldnt pass) and sprint to the coastline, took a breath and built another boat, sailed forever and a day it seemed north until i reached my base.  that was scary for me lol

I've had similar experiences where I've hit e accidentally on a flier and don't die from the fall.  Far away from base with only a metal spear and a little bit of food.  Those are some exciting trips back to safety.  After riding around on Gigas and Rexes for so long you feel so weak and vulnerable on foot.

Just now, bloddstar said:

I've had similar experiences where I've hit e accidentally on a flier and don't die from the fall.  Far away from base with only a metal spear and a little bit of food.  Those are some exciting trips back to safety.  After riding around on Gigas and Rexes for so long you feel so weak and vulnerable on foot.

LOL yes, walking around now seems feeble ha!  at the time they are nightmares now its like man that was fun! 

hmm this sparks an idea!

@NebraskARK

bro we need to do a game, real survival, toss someone off a quetz with a parachute and make an ending point and see if they can survive all the way, naked

Just now, Grimlock98 said:

LOL yes, walking around now seems feeble ha!  at the time they are nightmares now its like man that was fun! 

hmm this sparks an idea!

@NebraskARK

bro we need to do a game, real survival, toss someone off a quetz with a parachute and make an ending point and see if they can survive all the way, naked

haha, that would be pretty awesome!

Now the story.

Last nite too infact lol I was taking a few low level tamed sharks out to be killed. I saw a meg whistled attack all and as soon as they engaged in battle i whistled stay and passive and pulled out the popcorn and watched as they were getting killed. then suddenly I get swarmed by 3 hungry megs. SO i try and take off but im on the newest tamed shark which only had 300 stamina which ran out fast. So as im trying to escape these 3 sharks chomping on my butt I remembered i had my blueprints on me still and if my shark dies i will die and prolly loose my prints so I was pretty panicked. I was maybe a few hundred yards from my sea base at herb island. I couldn't stop to spam meat or i would have been dogpiled on. My only thought was "get in whistling range of the Mosasurus thats chillin in my base" SO i got under my bridge and caught a lucky break. 2 of the sharks started attacking a parasuar that had fallen into the water so i only had one shark to worry about chomping on my butt. So i get in the base and whistled the mosi to me but he was stuck (herb island isnt an ideal place for a mosi) so by this time im down to maybe 20% on the shark but atleast feel safe as I could just swim to shore if it dies but oh no This shark was my tribe leaders kids and it needed to be kept alive lol. SO now the 3 are back on me and im inches away from salvation. As soon as i passed under the mosi I heard "CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP" and all 3 sharks were dead in just a few seconds. Its nice when you have the ruler of the sea at your base. SO i prevented a potential disaster disappointing a kid by killing his pet hehe. At the end the shark had maybe 10% health. Fun times :P

First off you have extra sharks? :S I don't even had one nor have ever had one.

Reading this sounds like I am watching aquatic spy movie while eating "popcorn".

Sounds like you a movie plot... "Sharknado B.C." maybe?

The plot....

You, a secret prehistoric agent must deliver blue prints to your secret off shore base HQ and the stealthiest way to do that is by shark :P.

There you are silently moving through the waves trying to deliver the goods. You have other, weaker agents with you (who always die first since you are the star) when suddenly the locals notice you and realize they must stop you at all costs for delivery of these blueprints would spell certain doom and their ultimate demise. The movie even has a twist... you reach HQ shoreline and call it heavy support but also the Boss' kid's pet wants to help you and you know that is a bad idea. This must not happen you think, it must stay safe. Panic mode sets in. "Where is the heavy support!" you shout...... Cue the fast music, chomping noises and then sudden silence.... roll credits.

Ok maybe I read this the wrong way. Congrats though on keeping the important tames alive (especially the leader's kid's tame ;)).

1 minute ago, N1NJAM005E said:

First off you have extra sharks? :S I don't even had one nor have ever had one.

Reading this sounds like I am watching aquatic spy movie while eating "popcorn".

Sounds like you a movie plot... "Sharknado B.C." maybe?

The plot....

You, a secret prehistoric agent must deliver blue prints to your secret off shore base HQ and the stealthiest way to do that is by shark :P.

There you are silently moving through the waves trying to deliver the goods. You have other, weaker agents with you (who always die first since you are the star) when suddenly the locals notice you and realize they must stop you at all costs for delivery of these blueprints would spell certain doom and their ultimate demise. The movie even has a twist... you reach HQ shoreline and call it heavy support but also the Boss' kid's pet wants to help you and you know that is a bad idea. This must not happen you think, it must stay safe. Panic mode sets in. "Where is the heavy support!" you shout...... Cue the fast music, chomping noises and then sudden silence.... roll credits.

Ok maybe I read this the wrong way. Congrats though on keeping the important tames alive (especially the leader's kid's tame ;)).

i lost one of my sharks last week somehow, but ya we can get you a shark too. 

i do like your plot, read above, we can see if Nebraskark wants to do this game too, but shotgun on using my shark Jaws :D  no but seriously have to deliver something like that in a rush, could throw in the aspect of the other tribes trying to tranq your shark, (never really dont pvp, but for fun the worst he gets knocked out.)

PS hes a beast.

31 minutes ago, Grimlock98 said:

i didnt know scuba tanks had a limit either.

my story, dancing with a plesiasaur down at the bottom, im taking hits left and right, my shark isnt close and i forgot to put him on follow.  getting dark outside, cant tell whats up or down as im ascending.  start choking, im freaking out i pop out of the water with like a sliver of life, oh its not done yet.  im on a very small piece of ice, and since most of gear got destroyed im starting to freeze, i see my raft on penguin island, rush over there cause thats where my bird was, sprint to him, take off and fly to my base (which is in the harbor area of the snow biome) fly straight into the base and warm up, i swear i was on deaths bed.  lol

Hell I go into shallow water and don't know which way is up so kudos to you for even going under water.

You get back to base, land, knock on the base door..... tribe mate opens looks at this human ice cube staring at him smiling, You get led inside, thaw out and say I made it!

Just now, N1NJAM005E said:

Hell I go into shallow water and don't know which way is up so kudos to you for even going under water.

You get back to base, land, knock on the base door..... tribe mate opens looks at this human ice cube staring at him smiling, You get led inside, thaw out and say I made it!

more like open the door and me and the bird ARE COMING IN HOT!!!

lol i solo tamed a lvl 60 and lvl 96 sharks at the same time, just me on a raft in the middle of the ocean HA

Now the story.

That's a much better story than my sea adventures.  Most of mine involve trying something and then dying horribly - it's a dangerous place down there.  For example - killed some eurypterids on my mosasaurus after this most recent patch and got a black pearl but decided I'd melee the next ones to see if any tools gave them more reliably.  Scorpion poison has little affect on me now so i didn't expect the euryp to be that bad either.  He knocked me out almost immediatelly and his friends ate me for lunch in seconds.  Learning experience i guess - if you're gathering pearls and see one swim upwards right away - even one hit knocks me out but if you're not on the sea floor they can't get you.  

Recovering your body on the ocean floor on the opposite side of the continent from your sea base - not fun.

31 minutes ago, Grimlock98 said:

why do you think there is a behemoth gate wall above my base in the snow?  falling animals is a good sign trouble is near, hell i taught my 6 year old son that, if you see animals running you get out of that area lol.

of course now i laugh when they fall off the cliff, then i grab a bird and help the rest fall.

See and what I have always done, is tell my son the opposite and also do the opposite... Parasaur running in other direction? *shrug* Odd, let's go see what is chasing him...

I admit not the best way of doing it, mistakes were made :S

1 minute ago, bloddstar said:

That's a much better story than my sea adventures.  Most of mine involve trying something and then dying horribly - it's a dangerous place down there.  For example - killed some eurypterids on my mosasaurus after this most recent patch and got a black pearl but decided I'd melee the next ones to see if any tools gave them more reliably.  Scorpion poison has little affect on me now so i didn't expect the euryp to be that bad either.  He knocked me out almost immediatelly and his friends ate me for lunch in seconds.  Learning experience i guess - if you're gathering pearls and see one swim upwards right away - even one hit knocks me out but if you're not on the sea floor they can't get you.  

Recovering your body on the ocean floor on the opposite side of the continent from your sea base - not fun.

whats your fortitude?

Archived