120 tames not that good?!

Demoness

So i have around 800 hours on ARK have tamed a few 120s (particularly argents) and have found them to be really not that good stat wise. My 116s all have better overall stats then either of my 120 perfect tames. Same goes for a 120 doed i recently tamed. My 112 was better. Am I the only one having this issue? I know they have their one main stat but i mean all of their stats are lower then my 116s. 

The level only means they have more points to put into stats, but they can go into any stat. (They could be put into Food or Oxygen, generally useless stats). There is a more than likely chance in that case that your 116 tames put their points into more useful stats (Weight, Melee Damage, Health, Stamina, etc). It is mostly RNG when it comes to the stats of the creatures you tame, you can also KO them and check their stats before taming, that way you don't waste time.

Hope this clears a little of the Confusion, good luck surviving!

-Avios

5 minutes ago, Demoness said:

No i know that but the 120 stats are overall lower then the 116s, all of them even the main stats. So is it even worth hunting 120s? So far I have found that it isnt really.

Stats can roll into speed,  which are Invisiable. So a 120 that had 5 levels roll speed is basically a 116 that had 0 levels roll into speed. 

I find argis are the best animal to breed because they are a fairly common spawn, easy to kill (means you can keep on clearing carno island till a decent one spawns) and are useful enough to invest the time to breed. 

7 minutes ago, Avios said:

The level only means they have more points to put into stats, but they can go into any stat. (They could be put into Food or Oxygen, generally useless stats). There is a more than likely chance in that case that your 116 tames put their points into more useful stats (Weight, Melee Damage, Health, Stamina, etc). It is mostly RNG when it comes to the stats of the creatures you tame, you can also KO them and check their stats before taming, that way you don't waste time.

Hope this clears a little of the Confusion, good luck surviving!

-Avios

If you were to knock out a 120 Argy, what is gained by checking its pre-tame stats?  The 57 levels that are gained through kibble taming are randomly distributed, are they not?  I don't understand how looking at the stats of the 120 will give any insight to it's 177 stats.

1 minute ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Stats can roll into speed,  which are Invisiable. So a 120 that had 5 levels roll speed is basically a 116 that had 0 levels roll into speed. 

I find argis are the best animal to breed because they are a fairly common spawn, easy to kill (means you can keep on clearing carno island till a decent one spawns) and are useful enough to invest the time to breed. 

Thats what i intend to do. I want to breed an all around bird with high hp,stam and dmg being its main stat. Im having a real hard time finding anything decent though. I got one 116 argy with 3.2 k stam after tame and thats the best one I have for breeding so far. Ive tamed alot of argies lol. I just dont seem to be having luck finding good ones for breeding.

Just now, bloddstar said:

It will give you a vague idea of how high that creature's stats may end up.  If you are trying to track down a high hp argy for example and a lvl 120 only has 12 points into hp it probably isn't worth the tame.  If it already has 20+ then it is probably worth rolling the dice.

Thanks.  How can you determine how many levels have been applied to each stat?  (Man, I feel like a real rookie all of a sudden.)

I don't usually look too hard at pre-tame stats, but you can see if it already has a lot of points are into things you don't want, like food or oxy or something like that. There's nothing to say post-tame it won't have a ton of points in those stats, but I guess some people just like going for a higher overall base in the things they want. But you just never know honestly. My highest base HP spino tamed out at lvl 90 and just happened to roll a ton into HP.

I have noticed a lot of my high level tames end up with a ton of points in food for some reason. Ark RNG hates me though.

In breeding its not about what level it was pre tame but what levels it has post tame, I knocked out a 120 trike and got all excited because it had nearly as much stamina pre tame as my best trike, post tame it had less stamina than my best who was a 100 pre tame. It is quite common for 116's and even 100's to have better post tame stats that perfect kibble tamed 120's but 120's do have the potential to have better stats. I have a 120 female anky that had one of the worst pre tame weights I had ever seen, 10 levels in weight, tamed out with the best weight of any anky on my server the male 120 I tamed who had about ten less weight pre tame than the female had post tame, tamed out with exactly as much weight as the female had. What I am saying is that if you knock out 120s to check the stats and then pass on them when they don't have what you are looking for you are potentially missing out on some great tames.

Yes the "ideal" tame is a 120 who has a boat load of levels in the stat you are after pre tame and gets a boat load more from the taming levels, but that dino may never come your way.

Argents are trash for anything other than flying mid sized dinos home post tame and carrier pigeons for small loads, pteradons are better for combat and scouting/travel and ques are obviously better for any real freight work.

The obsession with the buzzards boggles my mind

10 hours ago, Franchi said:

Argents are trash for anything other than flying mid sized dinos home post tame and carrier pigeons for small loads, pteradons are better for combat and scouting/travel and ques are obviously better for any real freight work.

The obsession with the buzzards boggles my mind

its a carry over from the olden days.

before the nerf and quetzes argis were inarguably the best mount. you could get one up to 1300 melee, 5k HP and take on A-rexes with them. think its a hangover from those days.

and I personally think argies are probably the best looking animal (alongside spinos) but then thats highly subjective.

2 hours ago, Martyn said:

As far as breeding goes I often get a 146 and a 160 or 170 and then maybe a 72.. and the 72 has better stats than the others.  But it will also suffer from a lower % per point spent in raising it. 

If the 72 has better stats then it will get higher % per point. The amount of the increase is based on the base stat post-tame/hatch.

Example: Creature post tame has 1000 health. Due to its species it gets a 5% increase (static) per level up that the player puts into it. Regardless of whether the creature is lvl 10 or lvl 120 it will receive 50 health every point you put into health.

On Wednesday, April 06, 2016 at 8:21 AM, Martyn said:

Hmm.. I'll test it.

I'll test it on sabers and wolves bred with diff levels and identical stats.  The rex's i can't remember the specific levels and it isn't adding up.

I'm certain that the % fixed raise doesn't exist tho.  It's based on current actual level and amount of stat current that's being raised.  But I'll check the wiki and look at the numbers again.

http://ark.gamepedia.com/Base_Creature_Statistics - Fourth line down. Also, that lists the %increases you can expect depending on post tame stats.

Archived