Giga taming with tranq arrows went bad

KRONOSDOUBLE

So, I found a good giga I wanted to try and tame today. I uses dododex and found that I would 215 tranq arrows because I was going to use a 294.1% damage crossbow. I over prepared and decided to go ahead and bring 450 tranq arrows. 

Fast forward to taming. I had to trapped. Of those 450 tranq arrows shot, I landed probably 350-400. I counted my shots out to 4-5 seconds. Waited over an hour after shooting all my shots and the giga never dropped unconscious. I know its supposed to take time to drop,  but I used double the arrows and waited an hour for torpor build and it never drop. Any explanation?

2 hours ago, Thyme said:

If you wait too much time between shots the tranq effect will end and the gigas torpor will begin to fall rapidly. Its best to just shoot as fast you can, just make sure when it starts running you don't accidentally hit it after it drops.

I get that. And I understand that I may have occasionally missed some shots, but shooting it 400 times in one sitting should have done the trick

5 hours ago, KRONOSDOUBLE said:

So, I found a good giga I wanted to try and tame today. I uses dododex and found that I would 215 tranq arrows because I was going to use a 294.1% damage crossbow. I over prepared and decided to go ahead and bring 450 tranq arrows. 

Fast forward to taming. I had to trapped. Of those 450 tranq arrows shot, I landed probably 350-400. I counted my shots out to 4-5 seconds. Waited over an hour after shooting all my shots and the giga never dropped unconscious. I know its supposed to take time to drop,  but I used double the arrows and waited an hour for torpor build and it never drop. Any explanation?

1. Don't wait with gigas, just keep shooting as fast as u can. Because they drop torpor so fast u don't want to wait.
2. The only time you may want to wait is for creatures where there is a chance you will kill it (that will never happen with a Giga).

Your crossbow does 463.2 torpor per arrow including the torpor over time effect.

A 150 giga drains 431.3 torpor per second.

If you're waiting 5 seconds between each arrow, you're doing two things horribly wrong -

1) There's no reason to delay shots ever when you can calculate exactly how many shots it takes.  The torpor duration stacks, meaning if you shoot once and put 5 seconds of torpor on it, then shoot it a second time after 2 seconds have passed with 3 seconds remaining, it'll stack up to having 8 seconds of torpor.  This stacks indefinitely.  I've had gigas that I spent 10 minutes pumping it full of arrows then waited another 20 minutes for the damn thing to finally pass out.  This applies to any tame in the game though, pump them full of arrows and then chill.

2) Delaying your shots is really especially bad against a giga because their torpor drain is stupid high.  Torpor drain won't happen if there are torpor over time effects applied currently, but if you let the torpor over time effect drop on a giga, every second he spends without it effectively erases an entire arrow.  If your 5 count was actually a bit slow and there was a 6 second wait, you'd be netting 32 torpor per arrow, and that's assuming you never miss.  This is also why you should never ever attempt to use a longneck to tame a giga if you're doing it solo.  The torpor over time duration and reload time are the same for a longneck, so you lose huge amounts of torpor to every tiny bit of server lag since you can't stack up torpor over time.

Archived