Good PVE Base Designs

Fulton

Place ramps up walls to store dino's on. Opens up floor plan while still giving you a lot of storage space.

Or store them in cryo and do yours and your servers frame rate, tame cap, base lag a favor. 

Then you can build small and efficient and just have an open yard when you bring them out to play.

I like to go for a sort of neo-industrial design where the ground floor is two walls high and divided into rooms for sleeping, storage, cooking, crafting, etc. and then the second floor is four to six walls high and used for breeding and hatching.  You can use an elevator attached to a large trapdoor to carry dinos to the roof and show off to your neighbors.

Pilgrimz Project, GG Fizz and On Cue all do great build tutorials on YouTube. Like someone said just adapt their build strategy to fit your needs. 

watching a heap of these with help you with how building mechanics work, the dimensions needed and what materials go together. 

For me, wood and metal is a no no. But a stone build with wooden features looks spot on. Some of the modern builds look quite awesome too. Bit costly, but if aesthetics is your thing then it’s something to aim for.  

7 hours ago, Zen00 said:

Behemoth gates make excellent walls and are fairly cost effective. Surround your base with them, especially if you're up where gigas spawn as you want to "hide" your dinos.

Absolutely do not do this on a PVE server.  Your neighbors will not appreciate the eye-sore.  Use a single gate (either size) and then either use fence supports to fill out the rest of the wall or if you want to make it look really good use foundations to create a hollow wall with interior stairs.

14 minutes ago, Spiral3 said:

Absolutely do not do this on a PVE server.  Your neighbors will not appreciate the eye-sore.  Use a single gate (either size) and then either use fence supports to fill out the rest of the wall or if you want to make it look really good use foundations to create a hollow wall with interior stairs.

I would take a neighbor who can build  less-lag space-efficient base over eye-candy server killer castle lover every time.

15 hours ago, Spiral3 said:

Terrible advice. You’re advocating massive lag due to structure counts versus a single gate and a door. Put up behem gates, paint them, and enjoy. Tek behem are nice, metal are ok, Stone are fine for beginners. 

Without mods, I prioritise function over form for my official PvE bases as there is a lot of micro managing therefore all of my crafting stations, fridges etc are organised in the middle of my work space and then storage around the outside. Distance between storage and crafting stations is only 1 block away for easy access. I use ramps / ceilings to create 2 levels of storage.

All open plan so no walls at all which allows me to land farming dinos in any location I want for fast offload. e.g. Anky gets dropped near forge, Beaver gets dropped near wood storage etc

I have always hated behemoth gate spam so I will build the outer fence with fence foundations and walls and eventually go back and double wall the outer fence for a castle type look.

My personal goal when building on official PvE is to avoid the cube base surrounded by behemoth gate spam because IMO, that's just pure unimaginative laziness and it's an eye sore when I see a PvE map where 80% of bases are built like this, which is a typical PvE server.

16 hours ago, Cobretti said:

because IMO, that's just pure unimaginative laziness and it's an eye sore

Or maybe people express their creativity in different ways.

For me creative building is fitting all pre-tek tier equipment into 4x4x4 base, and unimaginative laziness is building an airport size hangar(which looks like a Mario poopting on a turtle from outside) with fab and a vault inside, when I see a pve map 80% of bases are just a glorified lag monuments with huge amounts of wasted empty space, which is a typical pve server.

23 hours ago, Cobretti said:

Without mods, I prioritise function over form for my official PvE bases as there is a lot of micro managing therefore all of my crafting stations, fridges etc are organised in the middle of my work space and then storage around the outside. Distance between storage and crafting stations is only 1 block away for easy access. I use ramps / ceilings to create 2 levels of storage.

All open plan so no walls at all which allows me to land farming dinos in any location I want for fast offload. e.g. Anky gets dropped near forge, Beaver gets dropped near wood storage etc

I have always hated behemoth gate spam so I will build the outer fence with fence foundations and walls and eventually go back and double wall the outer fence for a castle type look.

My personal goal when building on official PvE is to avoid the cube base surrounded by behemoth gate spam because IMO, that's just pure unimaginative laziness and it's an eye sore when I see a PvE map where 80% of bases are built like this, which is a typical PvE server.

Yeah function should always take priority, my crafting area is 5 giant hatchframes wide, pillar in one corner with a ceiling and the hatchframes snapped in a row, indy forge placed on the joint of the first & second hatchframes then vaults on the next one, crafting stations underneath all with access to each other, the forge and some of the vaults, the vaults that can't be reached are used for light resources and gear, on the far end is the replicator, I have a zipline running just in front of it as well which makes it easy to move large amounts of metal from the forge to replicator

I've tried building nice looking bases but it always ends up being a pain in the ass when the crafting area isn't set up right

Archived