Why would I use a giga over a thery?

unfungames

I've never tamed a giga, but I'm trying to figure out why I ever would. We have 8k health / 526% melee imprinted thery's on our server. We max them out at around 25k health and 1600% melee. They can beat untamed gigas 1v1. However, we still struggled doing red drops on Extinction. I keep seeing people using gigas in videos, but tamed gigas seem so inferior. Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, unfungames said:

I've never tamed a giga, but I'm trying to figure out why I ever would. We have 8k health / 526% melee imprinted thery's on our server. We max them out at around 25k health and 1600% melee. They can beat untamed gigas 1v1. However, we still struggled doing red drops on Extinction. I keep seeing people using gigas in videos, but tamed gigas seem so inferior. Am I missing something?

Theri's are awesome. I'm surprised your struggling. I've solo'd a few Red's with mate boosted Theri pair.

However, the amount of damage from a Giga far surpasses a Theri. Base damage of a Theri is 52. Base damage of a Giga is I think 500 (Ark wiki has it listed at 1000 but pretty sure that's old). So your 1600 melee Theri is hitting for about 832 damage. That's less than a 200 melee Giga and the Giga's out now (depending on platform) are hatching with 600 melee and easily cresting over a 1000. It kills these high level corrupted faster and preserves the hp of the drop. Giga's are the superior choice for OSD's. 

Giga's imprinted combined with AOE can be devastating, not to mention you only have to try to breed for attack stats on them.  Any giga imprinted will have a HP around 30k, so finding one with decent melee is a lot easier than finding a Theri with all around good stats.  You can have great Giga stats in a single generation, Theris you have to find attack, stam, and HP before you start getting a solid tame.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:44 AM, unfungames said:

They are definitely not inferior, the sheer offensive capabilities of a giga dwarfs a theri. They have dramatically better damage, AoE and have functionally infinite stamina. 

Archived